Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post subject: Re: Describe Rap Music
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:28 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: there is no conspiracy. the music industry is not sapping out all of the genuine feeling that music ever had. saying that rap is the McDonald's of music is fallacious because of course you're not gonna find anything incredible if you don't do any digging. rock bands that have gotten substantial radio play in the last 10 years: nickelback, avenged sevenfold, limp bizkit. that's killer, dude. rock sucks. *(censored)* you. that's not how it works.

my gut's always busted whenever I hear someone try to say classical is so much more substantial (the broccoli to hip hop's big mac, as it were) because it's just not the case. of course, this is subjective, but a lot of classical music is completely sterile cut-and-pasted Sweet Lines with 0 emotional heft. whereas with hip-hop you're straight up objectively wrong if you're trying to say that it's all about pussy and weed and Bad Behavior! Oh God! I'm *(censored)*' Scared. it's just wrong. you can call me out for my description of classical as bullshit, too, I guess, but that's all subjectivity. you're trying to be ignorant if you're saying rap requires less musical talent than anything else. of course I'm not going to prove anything to any of you *(censored)* because I've had this discussion here before to no avail, so I'm going to stop now. also the track's not called "this dick ain't free," alloutwar. at least do your research on something as basic as that. read kendrick's lyrics and realize that this dude's got more to say than, idk, the beatles ever have. (and I do like the beatles quite a lot.) Fallacies! Fallacies! Fallacies!

not even going to try to comment on the history of rap as others have said everything I'd like to say more poignantly for the most part above (namely dusty) so, I mean. do some reading up before spouting your bullshit, everybody. Hahahahahaha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:51 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
1. I'll stipulate most of rock on radio has sucked for 10-15 years. White stripes, strokes, killers, and all the stuff you named. Some of it (pop and pop rock) is the same studio over-production, just auto-tune instead of computerized beats, while the other side of rock went super indie, low-fi, and sound godawful, but its the same end result: mass produced, not-good music, on the airwaves and winning awards.
2. Classical has stood the test of time for hundreds of years. So has opera. You think anyone will remember Puff Daddy in 2090? Spouting bullshit about its place in musical canon just goes to the heart of your inexperience and lack of knowledge. Not saying it's the end-all be-all, but if you can't even appreciate it, you probably shouldn't be talking music.
3. I've worked in-studio with up and coming rappers. I've had to try to give them basic musical lessons (the horror). I've heard the raw first takes, and engineers working on it for weeks afterwards, adding sounds and other artists to 'feature' while the *talent* gets tatted up and works on a six-pack, or maybe gets into legal trouble just to get cred. I've seen them take an 18-year old virgin girl and make her rap about the ghetto and all the sex she had, so that they can push a persona and release a product, the next Iggy Azalea or what have you.

So what percentage is manufactured WWE, McDonalds crap? 50%? 80%? I don't know for certain, but I'd bet 90%. Again, if you find someone credible as an artist, and really buy into what they are doing, good for you. Realizing the truth behind what's going on doesn't stop you from appreciating whatever % is decent, non-frankensteined material.

I think it's easy when you're a teen to think that everyone else is on the outside, their opinions are fallacies, they don't "get it". The truth, however, is not so simple. It's usually just a truth you don't want to hear :)

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:17 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Mets
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
this needs to stop before it gets out of hand

we don't need forum members being shot in drive-bys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:27 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
Hey speak for yourself man

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:27 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
BrewersFuzz wrote:
Hey speak for yourself man
that's what biggie did and look at what happened to him

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:20 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Rap music was supposed to entail people talking about serious issues going on in the world, and bringing it down in a more palatable form for the general public. In addition, it was supposed to act as a form of closure for those who could relate to the topics discussed in the lyrics. Over time, we see how it has turned into the monster it is today.

To be fair, rock music got swept up in that sex craze thing during the 80's, so it's not like rap is the first genre to fall into this trap so to speak. In both instances, the genres were created with similar ideas in mind, some form of resistance against something the pioneers felt was wrong about the way society was setup and run. Feelings of anger and a bit of desperation too. Should sound familiar to those who really know.

At the end of the day, in both cases, there are tons of examples of groups and individuals who were spectacular in their trade, but were looked over, or never quite made as much money as the more popular artists, simply because of the impact that a very small number of record labels had on the industry as a whole. Two examples include Warner Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment.

TLDR: No music genre is absolutely spotless, as every genre has had it's ups and downs over time. Oh, and a big *censored* to Warner and Sony for being a huge part of everything wrong with record labels and how they get their hands into the music.