Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post subject: K-ROD!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
He broke the single season saves record. He is one of my favorite players.
Any comments?

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

Post subject: Re: K-ROD!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:03 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: White Sox
Yeah congrats to K-Rod!!!
I wonder how high he will "set the bar...."
I am guessing (65ish)

Most strikeouts in a single 9 inning game-22
Perfect games pitched-4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:04 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

same here. They'll probably rest him the last week, though, now that he's broken the record.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:06 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
stevenjackson39 wrote:
He broke the single season saves record. He is one of my favorite players.
Any comments?

He broke the single season saves record. He is one of my least favorite players.
His little dance whenever he makes a save is very immodest. He wanted to be payed the same amount as the nicest and best closer to ever play the game (Mariano). Mariano is getting payed based on a carreer of amazing achievements. K-Rod is a very good closer, but he's not as good as Mariano and hasn't had much of a career yet. Mariano is fantastic and as modest as any. I was very upset (though I knew it was coming) when he got the save. My ideal playoffs this year (which won't happen) would be the Yanks winning at Yankee Stadium in game seven with K-Rod blowing the save and Mariano getting the win. That's how it happened with the last Red Sock game at Yankee Stadium (Paplebon blew it). Actually, my ideal play offs would be Yanks vrs. Rays or Red Sox (Sox just because its Yankee Stadiums last year, I like the Rays a lot all the same. I'm rooting for them and the Cubs in the Play-Offs, and I couldn't be happier in the NL as every team I want is in there).

- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-Always go to other peoples' funerals otherwise they won't go to yours.
-I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
I'm on vacation for about a month.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:07 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Yeah that is what they were saying on Sportscenter....
And because the Angles are so far ahead of everyone else....

Perfect games pitched-4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I used to be a Giants Fan, but now the only really good players on their squad are Cain and Lincecum.

By the way, i haven't seen his celebration, and give him some credit. He's only 26.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

He's a good closer, but you can't say he's better then Mariano. Mariano exhibits every quality a closer should have. He is calm, phenomenal in the clutch, supportive of his team, optimistic, does not let anything get to him, and plays with a lot of heart. He has a fantastic 2.29 E.R.A., 477 saves, 929 ks, and had never pitched a game till he was 20. In fact, he played Short Stop in the Panama League and for some reason they needed an emergency starter. Mariano volunteered and, completely by coincidence, a Yankee scout was there and was impressed and signed him.
What is really incredible though is his postseason success. He has a by far baseball best postseason ERA of .77 with 34 saves (NO one has half that). He has the lowest ERA of closers with 150+saves (including lower then K-Rod), and has been third in CY Young three times (and should have won it twice as no one else was close twice). He also has the best adjusted ERA ever. This shows how good you were compared to other players playing with 100 being average. The higher your number is, the better you were against the average player. Rivera had a 198 where the second highest is 160 (Pedro). Mariano shows himself as the best pitcher of his ERA with a 198 score, the second highest being K-Rod has had a very very impressive season, but I would put Marianos 53/54 (I don't know which) save season as better as K-Rod has blown 4. He has never been brought in a situation with runners on base and hasn't pitched 2 innings.
The only reason I believe he blew the series to the Red Sox was because of his family. He had come from poverty and had managed to pay and bring his whole family to America on his estate. He has an electric fence around his estate. Three family members were in a pool and a piece of the electric fence fell in the pool and killed them all. This is the one things that could affect the best, most mentally unaffectable, and kindest closer to ever play the game.
K-Rod wanted to be payed more then this guy. He does the dance every single game and makes Joba's and his fist pumping look like a Monk compared to him. Players never want to have him get the save because they can't bear to see his little dance.
Now I know that K-Rod is the youngest player to ever have 200 saves at 26. Think about this: Mariano became a closer at 28. Imagine who would have the most saves if he started when K-Rod did (he was 22 and Hoffman was 25)?
So, do you really think this is this guy as good or modest as Mariano?

- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Last edited by cownip on Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

argh...

i told you, i haven't seen his fist pump and other celebration and stuff.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Yes but

cownip wrote:
Players never want to have him get the save because they can't bear to see his little dance.

They should do something about it, but they can't just because of the "stuff" that K-Rod throws...

But I know what you are saying....Rivera is a legend...

Perfect games pitched-4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

stevenjackson39 wrote:
argh...

i told you, i haven't seen his fist pump and other celebration and stuff.

Really, I see it every time. How often do you watch him? They don't always show it.
I added a lot more to it. Mariano didn't become a closer till he was 28 and Hoffman didn't till he was 25 which he was at 22. That's why he is the youngest at 200. Also, he has had a lot more opportunities. I think Mariano has pitched better this year based on an article that one of the mods (I forgot who) showed on closers. I can find it and repost it here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:27 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

i don't watch too often.
mostly highlights. mostly

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:28 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Sorry to double post, but there is another reason why Mariano is better. He now has the second most saves as of today! What a show for the fans, Jeter with the most Yankee hit and Mariano with the second most saves. To think I missed today by a single game (I went to the game yesterday).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:31 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

ouch.
i would rather have rivera have the saves record than hoffman.

-David Thorne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I have no problem with Hoffman, although Mariano's my favorite. He is also one of the guys you could make an argument for the best closer of all time. I wouldn't say its too good of an argument, but still hes very good. Unlike Mariano though, he's terrible in the post season and is known for his faults there. Hoffman is an incredibly nice guy as well as modest. He said that Mariano was the best closer of all-time, and that was very kind.\
Edit:
It's amazing how modest Mariano is. When being interview, he was saying in response to his record "it's all right" and how it doesn't matter and how he'd much rather be tied for first any day then tied for second in saves. He never cares about statistics or records of his own. However, the moment the reporter mentioned Jeter's record (which is probably smaller), he was incredibly enthusiastic and happy for him. I'm sure it will be the same for Jeter about Mariano.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:13 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

awwww, they care about each other.

-David Thorne