Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post subject: Bored at work/ school
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:41 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I have to say this has been one of the most boring days at my job ever.

So I decided to start this thread for anyone that is bored at school or work or some other unpleasant place to rant about their boredom.

I am so bored that I am tired of doing nothing and actually want some work to do. I have been here almost all day trying to come up with ideas for making realistic third string catchers for my Success Mode project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:47 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
school's boring.

But with a huge research paper, I've got my hands full - but not really because I just sped through it. I want more time. It's still boring, though. The Paper was actually fun to write because of how extreme I made it - and I know my history teacher won't enjoy my opinions.

What did I write about? Hint: my history won't enjoy it and he's the type of guy who thinks the U.S. is the best country ever.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:19 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
As someone with a BA in history (and psychology), I'd strongly question whether "opinion" and "research paper" should be used to describe the same paper :wink: [rant] Your conclusions should be drawn from your research rather than your research being used to support your preconceived opinions on a subject. The latter is a completely invalid way to approach writing history. Sadly though too many mainstream "historical" writings are little more than thinly disguised op-ed pieces, and even more sad is that most people don't have the reading comprehension skills to recognize it. [/rant]

Like any country throughout history with significant political/military power, the U.S. has done a lot right and a lot wrong. I don't think we need to view our history through rose colored glasses, but I also think it is equally wrong to go to the negative extreme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:23 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
not my opinion - just the side I chose because I felt it was the easiest to defend with Executive Order 9066 and the Alien and Sedition Acts of 178something. I went the extreme way because we weren't supposed to go with a middle ground - although maybe I went further than most.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:42 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
J-Gao wrote:
not my opinion - just the side I chose because I felt it was the easiest to defend with Executive Order 9066 and the Alien and Sedition Acts of 178something. I went the extreme way because we weren't supposed to go with a middle ground - although maybe I went further than most.

ahhh ... actually WWII Pacific theatre was my area of specialization, so Executive Order 9066 is right in my wheelhouse :)

My other rant when it comes to history has to do with people evaluating/judging historical events through current day cultural standards rather than through the standards of the era it took place in. For example, it's simple to attack EO9066 if you are viewing it through a 21st century lens. But when you properly evaluate the decision based on the cultural/political environment at the time, and without the benefit of hindsight, it is much easier to defend. Obviously there is validity in looking at the long term ramifications of a decision or event in your analysis. But too many "historians" make the mistake of leaning too heavily on hindsight - which in turn lends itself towards a very distorted view of history.