Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118  Next

Would you write or read a school log?
Yes 61%  61%  [ 27 ]
No 39%  39%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject: Re: How is school?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:40 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Yeah, in regards to learning Japanese, I think some of us have at least a hint of interest in learning the language. I've read about how hard it is for Duolingo to make a course for Japanese, so it could be a long time before that course gets established.

But congrats on making it through Spanish! I only had to take two semesters of it in college (I took both in Community College and transferred it over) to meet the foreign language requirement for WMU, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:04 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
dishnet34 wrote:
Yeah, in regards to learning Japanese, I think some of us have at least a hint of interest in learning the language. I've read about how hard it is for Duolingo to make a course for Japanese, so it could be a long time before that course gets established.

But congrats on making it through Spanish! I only had to take two semesters of it in college (I took both in Community College and transferred it over) to meet the foreign language requirement for WMU, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

Yep, Memrise has a Japanese course but I don't really like their interface as much and I'd prefer to stick with just one app for now lol

Thanks! Yeah, IU requires at least four semesters, but I think based on the degree you're working toward, it may adjust (obviously for a Spanish major you need more, but I think it varies from school to school too [like business vs. arts/sciences?])

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:13 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Don't Own
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
I think you mentioned that before, right Parker?

I could go on about how it's been a great experience for me and I think it was an awesome decision. But let me just say I recommend it to all of you guys, if you're interested in a new hobby that you can really dive into and expand your horizons. It's also more foreign and difficult than the ones closer to English with all of their origins/cognates deriving from Latin.

If you ever decide to join in, please ask me if you need help / have questions and would like me to point you where to start, what apps, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:30 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

philliesfan134 wrote:
I think you mentioned that before, right Parker?

I could go on about how it's been a great experience for me and I think it was an awesome decision. But let me just say I recommend it to all of you guys, if you're interested in a new hobby that you can really dive into and expand your horizons. It's also more foreign and difficult than the ones closer to English with all of their origins/cognates deriving from Latin.

If you ever decide to join in, please ask me if you need help / have questions and would like me to point you where to start, what apps, etc.

ohyes I've definitely mentioned having an interest in Japanese before, I was doing the Memrise course for a while over the summer but kinda gave up on that when classes started. I've been speaking a bit with one of my friends, so what little knowledge I had picked up hasn't completely slipped me yet -- it's mostly basic words/phrases but hey, better than nothing I guess

and yeah, I definitely will hit you up if I decide to start really going after it in that regard !! thanks Nick :)

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

so I don't know if I talked much about my classes last semester, but I wanted to tell you guys a little about this spring. I'm still majoring in Business, and have taken Intro to Business + Macroeconomics already in that venture.

It was a little tough to adjust to the change and get into the routine, but I'm no longer dreading it. I've come to miss my old classes and locales - strange as it is to say - although from the jump I was glad to start fresh and see more of the buildings / people. I hoped I would encounter and / or have classes with more people I know from high school, which comes few and far between but more by the day. The first few days i.e. Wednesday & Thursday took surprisingly long for mere introductions and syllabi. It felt like I had to go through a bunch of doors and down several hallways just to find my first few classes. Then came the weekend, because thankfully I'm off on Fridays :)

M / W
------
Statistics (11-12:15): Teacher seems kinda strict, bland voice and comes off as rude. Got a looot of homework problems for day two but this won't be nearly as difficult for me as algebra, calc, etc. That's because it isn't grounded in so many equations, at least I don't think so.. def don't mind waking up and having to focus to start the day. More bearable because I share this class with Delaney, who went to all the same schools as me. We're allowed to text each other if we need help, so we're planning on that as well as walking/talking from this one to the next from now on.

Computer Literacy (12:30-1:45): This teacher is a little odd - a large, jolly man with a white nose who likes to make himself laugh, joking about sunburn and telling stories. This room is all the way down, last on your left, and seems secluded, hidden away lol. There was a trash can blocking the way and you peek in to see a big motorized scooter, so you know you're in for some. He doesn't command the room enough for us to want to pay attention in the back. When I originally got the books for this class, it was a used bundle of like four on top of the other ones I had picked up. It was super busy in the class store that day, so I waited in line sweaty and arms shaking, only to find that I couldn't afford all of them with financial aid. It was a bad omen but I don't see how a computer class on Word/Excel/terminology could be that bad - aside from the 5-10 page essay due near the end. I'll make it through, walking there and sitting with Delaney while my good friend Alex (who wanted to drop the class from the onset haha) is also nearby.

Tu / Thu
---------
English Comp. II (10-10:50): Works similarly to the hybrid from last time - sit in a big auditorium (theatre-size) and listen to lectures about text/grammar, then do essays every few weeks online. You're allowed to come in any other day on the hybrid cycle (Wednesday, Monday, Tuesday?? my English was on Friday), the difference with English Comp from past Hybrid 101 being we learn about the same subject no matter the day you come in. I made it through once but have to be more wary of timing and not procrastinating like usual. The last two are a practice timed one and a departmental exam at a separate teaching center. My best subject is English, but I hate being given a deadline on writing, so I'm not looking forward to thinking up more essays. Nevertheless, only on Tuesdays and 50 minutes is definitely manageable.

Accounting (11-12:15): Right near my English class, same hallway. This teacher reminds me of Denzel and a little of Morgan Freeman or Bill Cosby in facial features. He's as animated as the latter but dignified, another guy who knows what he's talking about and expresses it in an enjoyable manner. Loves saying "gang", "a good student (wants to know)", and "it's a deal." I like his presence and think I'm gonna have fun with this class. He mentioned today that he calls on names not to ask questions, but to keep you engaged. If you're dozing off and thinking elsewhere, he could have your card at the ready and be prepared to call it. It's a clever idea, keeping your eyes up but not putting pressure on to answer. For something kinda bland like accounting, I think he can still make it entertaining. In terms of material, I can see myself hitting a few bumps but can probably understand it in the long run.

Intro to Mgmt. (12:30-1:45): This is in the same building but at the 300 level and farthest along, so again a new road traveled. The third business class I'm taking as part of my requirements, and similar to the others. I don't see myself struggling here, this stuff is straightforward and lends itself to participation. The teacher seems to speak in a higher octave so to speak, and she said "twenty oh eight" the first day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:12 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

okiedokie so it's been a few weeks let's get some thoughts on those classes,, I currently have 100% in every class but hey that could change y'know

(i'm gonna refer to the classes by their shortened names)

Creative Writing -- holy heck I love this class. class is divided into 2 units (poetry + fiction) so we're in full Poetry Mode for now, but it's been awesome. I've written 2 poems so far (I might post them if y'all want) and it's really been a great experience. also, it's divided into a lecture and discussion section, which is different but I love my AI and the professor is *(censored)* awesome

Music Theory -- I also love this class. I've learned a ton about just the fundamentals of music, the professor's really cool, literally all I remembered from my 1 year of guitar lessons (which was like 5 years ago) was the EGBDF-FACE thingy (which is the note order on treble clef) but now I know how to hecking play a piano keyboard like ???? what

Accounting -- prof is interesting, but plugs his website thingy way too much lol; class is about as expected, but I have learned that I kinda hate the atmosphere around the business school as a whole...

Psychology -- I've actually missed all but one class so no report thus far lol

In addition, I am still practicing with the Club Baseball program. I don't envision myself playing at all this spring, as I'm still visibly a few steps behind everyone else (and I'm weak as hell from being sick twice), but I'm already noticing improvement, especially in my hitting and my reads in the outfield. I'm pretty much playing all over the field, mostly pitcher, third base, and left field but I've also taken reps at shortstop and center field.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:05 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

I was thinking, I kinda wanna learn piano eventually too.

Good luck Agent~

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:15 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

philliesfan134 wrote:
I was thinking, I kinda wanna learn piano eventually too.

Good luck Agent~

I didn't even go into the class with that expectation, we just happened to learn it like 2 days ago lol

now if only I could actually start going to my psych class,

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Got a 94 in gr12 physics

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:52 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Prediction wrote:
Got a 94 in gr12 physics

that makes one of us haha

I struggled so much with physics for some reason but hey, that's why I'm going into a career in sports, where you don't need to know anything about physics! it's not like trajectory, velocity, and force are three of the biggest factors in nearly every sport!

(oops)

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:21 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
AgentP wrote:
Prediction wrote:
Got a 94 in gr12 physics

that makes one of us haha

I struggled so much with physics for some reason but hey, that's why I'm going into a career in sports, where you don't need to know anything about physics! it's not like trajectory, velocity, and force are three of the biggest factors in nearly every sport!

(oops)

My interest in the subject coming from the gr11 course is the biggest reason i did so well.

yeah no need to worry about physics in sports "see ball hit ball"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:05 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Prediction wrote:
My interest in the subject coming from the gr11 course is the biggest reason i did so well.

yeah no need to worry about physics in sports "see ball hit ball"

simple as that dude, all that "pitch f/x" and "launch angle" and "exit velocity" bullshit is meaningless anyway. there's definitely no in-depth scientific analysis to be done :roll:

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:44 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
My schedule looks like this (along with ratings for each class):

P1: Geometry-Not the best class to have first period. Teacher seems more fit to teach an honors course as she teaches at an incredibly fast pace. Still have over a 90 in the class which is decent I guess. 2 out of 5.

P2: Chemistry-Awful class. Teacher does not seem to have any passion for her job at all. My grade is decent, yet it is by far the worst class I have taken in high school. 1 out of 5.

P3: Study Hall- Good way to relax and do homework. Also a good way to study for upcoming tests, especially APUSH. 5 out of 5.

P4: Spanish III- Fairly easy, especially since I moved down from Honors last year. Basically a review of old concepts, so nothing too hard. Classmates are less-informed Juniors though, which slows down the process of learning new material. 4 out of 5.

P5: Health- Decent class, good teacher. Just finished a unit on CPR, which was not as difficult as I anticipated it to be. 4 out of 5.

P6: Religion- Extremely easy class. Don't even need to pay attention in class to get a 100 in the class. I really like the teacher though, as his wife was my 3rd grade teacher and probably my favorite grade school teacher. Would still rather have a shorter day, take a more useful elective (Driver's Ed), or have another study hall. 3 out of 5.

P7: APUSH- Was really nervous at the beginning of the year, but I really love this class. Teacher is absolutely phenomenal, it's obvious that he has perfected his teaching style over the years. He is extremely quiet outside of class but is so passionate about what he teaches. So much more engaging than my chemistry teacher. 5 out of 5.

P8: Honors World Lit- Mixed feelings. The teacher is a very strict grader but ultimately it helps for the long run I guess. Her teaching style is extremely different from my Freshman English teacher. She expects us to be familiar with material that she taught her freshmen class last year, which is frustrating. 2.5/5

Activity Period: Scholastic Bowl/Student Government- Scholastic Bowl is really fun, and I'm actually good at it. If you don't know what it is, it's basically a team Jeopardy competition, except the questions are randomly chosen by the moderators instead of directly chosen by students. The problem is that my teammates aren't very good, so we get destroyed by schools who have 3-4 kids who can answer questions. We're currently 4-5 after finishing 6-3 last year. Student government is boring as we don't really do anything. Our suggestions are consistently turned down by administration. I'm a class officer, which is a beneficial résumé tool. The girl I like does it as well, but she hardly goes to any meetings haha.

A side note, I have zero classes with the girl I had a crush on during Freshman year, which really sucks. Just seeing her gave me something to look forward to each day. I still see her in the hallway often, but that just makes me feel worse. Another negative aspect of my day is that I have a different lunch period than my friends from last year, and it's been really hard to find a group to sit with, especially since the lunch period is mostly filled with Juniors and Seniors. I'm stuck with a kid who is obsessed with hacking computers. He's a good guy, but my old lunch table was much better. My grandpa's recent death has also added to these negative events, as he was the first loved one I have ever lost, and the fact that I will have to go through this many more times frightens me. These factors have made Sophomore year a very difficult challenge, by far the most difficult school year I have ever had to endure. I can't wait until it's over.

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:10 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Pretty good classes you have going on there, GoTwins. Glad you're liking most of them so far.

GoTwins24 wrote:
A side note, I have zero classes with the girl I had a crush on during Freshman year, which really sucks. Just seeing her gave me something to look forward to each day. I still see her in the hallway often, but that just makes me feel worse. Another negative aspect of my day is that I have a different lunch period than my friends from last year, and it's been really hard to find a group to sit with, especially since the lunch period is mostly filled with Juniors and Seniors. I'm stuck with a kid who is obsessed with hacking computers. He's a good guy, but my old lunch table was much better. My grandpa's recent death has also added to these negative events, as he was the first loved one I have ever lost, and the fact that I will have to go through this many more times frightens me. These factors have made Sophomore year a very difficult challenge, by far the most difficult school year I have ever had to endure. I can't wait until it's over.

I know the feeling about having a different lunch period than you're used to, man. It's definitely hard to adjust to a different group of students when you're used to pretty much the same grouping every semester, but I'm sure you'll get used to the new group eventually. I had to adjust practically every semester in high school.

Also, I'm very sorry to hear about your grandpa passing away. I know what it's like to lose a grandparent (or any loved one for that matter), and it's not fun. It's probably one of the worst experiences I've had in my entire life, for more reasons than one. I'd say a lot more than that, but it's 1 a.m. and I have to get some sleep. My sincerest condolences, and I hope things get better for you in that regard soon.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:00 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
Thanks for the kind words, Dish! Yeah, what was cool about freshman year was that we had lunch with everybody in our class. I understand that's impossible to do for every grade, so I'll have to deal with switching periods.

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118  Next