Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie Reviews
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:49 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Definitely. JJ Abrams did a fantastic job.

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:32 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Wii and DS
Also, now that this thread has been bumped; may as well update on a few other recent releases.

Spotlight

Very good. This is a devastating and really goddamn important story. The performances are all great, but the characters take a backseat to the story for the most part. So many moments in it that just haunt the mind for days after watching it. A true story that you wish wasn't true. Recommended viewing for sure.

Steve Jobs

An incredible script and some great, energetic direction. Michael Fassbender should have that best actor award on lock. Similar to another Sorkin script based on a real life tech mogul (The Social Network), the events/characterization may be dramatized, but the movie is so entertaining so you won't care. The structure is fascinating and it goes by at a break-neck pace. Probably my favorite movie of the year, I think.

The End of the Tour

A nice little buddy movie depicting the relationship between David Foster Wallace and David Lipsky(spelled that wrong probs). Wallace is an incredibly fascinating person so I was excited to see this. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but that's not a bad thing. A lot of this movie deals with the envy between artists and friends really. And that was an immensely interesting theme to focus on. Eisenberg is a gem as always and Segel surprised me as Wallace. Solid stuff.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:35 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
wasn't a fan of spotlight, personally. it had absolutely 0 style instead opting for a straight-ahead telling of the story that's honestly really hard to make riveting aside from the end and a few moments in the middle that were really powerful. that's not the kinda film I'm into. I'm Dum. I liked the end of the tour though, partially because infinite jest is my favorite book, but also because david foster wallace is an immensely interesting person to me. good film. need to see steve jobs sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:04 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

maccrash21 wrote:
wasn't a fan of spotlight, personally. it had absolutely 0 style instead opting for a straight-ahead telling of the story that's honestly really hard to make riveting aside from the end and a few moments in the middle that were really powerful. that's not the kinda film I'm into. I'm Dum. I liked the end of the tour though, partially because infinite jest is my favorite book, but also because david foster wallace is an immensely interesting person to me. good film. need to see steve jobs sometime.

Fair enough. It definitely isn't for everyone, but I was gripped (and pretty horrified) of it from beginning to end.

Still need to find time to actually read Infinite Jest. Winter break should be a good time to do so once I'm away from my hectic school year schedule.

And yeah, I'm not the biggest Sorkin fan, but when he succeeds, he hits it out of the park.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:06 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Paul McCartney15 wrote:
maccrash21 wrote:

Fair enough. It definitely isn't for everyone, but I was gripped (and pretty horrified) of it from beginning to end.

Still need to find time to actually read Infinite Jest. Winter break should be a good time to do so once I'm away from my hectic school year schedule.

And yeah, I'm not the biggest Sorkin fan, but when he succeeds, he hits it out of the park.

feel as if I've had this conversation with you before but Infinite Jest completely consumed a couple months of my life the start of my junior year. it was worth it as *(censored)*, but just so you know it's a Major commitment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:38 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Finally watched Inside Out and Boyhood this weekend... :D

Inside Out was a fun movie, certainly a lot deeper than the average animated film; overall I'd give it an 8/10

Boyhood on the other hand...A phenomenal film all around. It's certainly not a movie you can watch passively; you really have to think about what's going on and connect some dots in order to fully grasp everything, but I like that. Due to the film's unique style (it was shot over a 12 year period using the same cast), you get to watch not only the characters in the film but the actors themselves grow. Quite possibly the best film I've ever watched. 10/10.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:48 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

hate to be THat Dude but I didn't like boyhood at all. I saw it in theaters when it first came out and thought it was full of smarmy cliches that most critics just shrugged off because of the Grand Concept, and this is coming from someone who usually appreciates what linklater's doing. it just feels like he took everything that made his style original and refreshing and added sitcom cliches and a larger scope. like, it's good, but the characters aren't developed nearly as well as they could have been, and it falls victim to lots of derivative trappings and tropes and what-have-you. inside out is great, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:40 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

I love Boyhood tbh. Favorite movie from 2014 and that was a damn good year for movies.

2015 had a tough year to follow and it wasn't nearly as good a year for films as 2014 was, but here are my favs of the year anyway.

Ex Machina
The Hateful Eight
Love and Mercy
Mad Max: Fury Road
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
The Revenant
Sicario
Spotlight
Star Wars The Force Awakens
Steve Jobs

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:23 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Angels
Force Awakens is overhyped garbage IMO. I might review it later.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:27 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

this year was pretty bad but my films of the year:

montage of heck
the end of the tour
inside out
mad max
the revenant
the force awakens

want to see anomalisa before all's said and done, and the hateful eight, but 2016 already looks like it'll be 90 times better than 2015 ever was.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rangers
Console '07: Don't Own
Kung Fu Panda 3 was a hit, it was purely awesome!! You all should watch it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:54 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Angels
Rewop Sorp wrote:
Force Awakens is overhyped garbage IMO. I might review it later.

Here we go:

Story:Trashy, uninspired rehash to the original. It's amazing to me how you can make almost a plagiarized movie like this trash and get praised for it. Rey is Luke, Jakku is Tatooine, BB-8 is R2-D2, Kylo Ren is Vader, Hux (think that's his name) is Tarkin, Resistance=Rebellion and "Starkiller Base" a giant Death Star that might as well come from a Kevin J. Anderson novel. We're given extremely poor exposition, and have no reason to care about anything that's going on at the beginning. All of the original trilogy character's lives went to shit apparently after ROTJ (this movie completely erases the happy feeling at the end of that one), yet we get like 2 lines about what happened. What happened to the New Republic, and why is a small resistance needed when the Emp-, I mean First Order makes the Death Star III? Kylo "whinyass" Ren, who is worse than Anakin in his creepiest AOTC scenes, apparently is a 30-year-old creep who "hunted down an destroyed the Jedi Kni-," oh never mind. I don't understand how people praise his bitch-ass as a "complex" character, when in reality, he's a dumbed down version of prequel Anakin Skywalker. At least Anakin grew up a slave, lost his mother, never had a father, etc., so his immatureness made sense. Kylo is just an idiot who got converted to the dark side by a horrible CGI-cartoon character who looks like Voldemort. And the way he kills Han Solo in the lamest death scene for an iconic character I have ever seen. The lightsaber duel was awful, Kylo Ren got his ass handed to him by Rey, who discovered what the force was the previous day. And then the last scene between Rey and Luke can just be described as awkward, trying way too hard to make a memorable final scene.

Characters:
Rey is a Mary Sue who knows how to use the force because Han told her it's real. Or something.
Finn was pretty funny, but the fact that he only worked in "Sanitation" was lame to me.
Han was good, but his death sucked.
Chewie was fine
Leia was stiff and awful, Carrie Fischer just doesn't have it anymore
BB-8 was annoying.
Kylo Ren sucked, as outlined above
Snoke was retarded, like his name. He belongs in Lord of the Rings.
Maz Kanata was dull, looked bad, and just wasn't an important character.
Poe Dameron was fine I guess
Hux was a mix between Tarkin and Hitler. So, pretty bad.

Visuals:
Ugly and/or uninspired. Jakku is obviously a Tatooine ripoff, and the snow planet is just Hoth, and we even see a Coruscant-looking planet get blown up. None of the ships outside of the Millennium Falcon are memorable, and there is not one single space battle in the entire freaking film, a staple of every Star Wards movie. The alien are just dreadful, they're all this bland-beige color, and the obvious CGI makes them stand out even worse. What happened to the awesome aliens of the Star Wars universe? The Greedos, the Bossks, Kit Fistos, Shaak Tis, etc.

Music:
The least memorable soundtrack in a Star Wars movie. Only memorable songs are the ones from the original trilogy.

Overall:
2.5/10. An obvious cash-grab with little heart put into it. It tries way to hard to make itself "memorable" without making any sense, and ultimately, this was the worst "Star Wars" product I have ever layed my eyes on. The originals put this one to shame, and the prequels are better than this garbage.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:00 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

you guys seen any good shit lately. in the past month i've seen strangers on a train, the great dictator, purple rain, & blue velvet in theatres, so it's been a good month. catching some erotic surrealist anime film from '73 sometime next week, as well, & hopefully the room over the weekend. & hopefully green room soon as well. haven't been keeping as up with new films as i could be. i think i've only seen everybody wants some!! as far as this year goes, which was okay. oh, & also the witch & knight of cups, both of which kinda sucked. at least knight of cups was gorgeous. (idk if those'd be considered this year.)

outside of theatres, though, i've seen a fair amount of killer shit lately -- ivan's childhood, in the mood for love, 12 angry men, paris is burning, harakiri, tokyo godfathers, dogtooth, aguirre, life aquatic with steve zissou, twin peaks, true detective, the 400 blows. &c. watched ghost world yesterday & was surprised at how much it sucked. how about you guys. have you seen anything good lately.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:59 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Mets
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
maccrash21 wrote:
you guys seen any good shit lately.
yeah man. I dropped a nice thick deuce in the toilet a week ago. that shit hurt coming out but the quality was great. you could see all the crap i'd digested in the previous month. really worth it.

in addition to seeing keanu i also saw deadpool and that was good.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:14 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '07: Don't Own
"Godzilla vs Monster Zero" was fun to watch, it's pretty campy. 3/5 stars

"Lucy" I'd give 2 out of 5 stars

"The Force Awakens", I've watched 10+ times since the home release, and it's great every time. 4/5 stars

"Seven Samurai" 5/5 stars

BEN: "The ICHIRO is what gives a Jedi his powers."

VADER: "The power of this battle station is insignificant next to the power of the ICHIRO."

BEN(ghost): "May the ICHIRO be with you, always."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next