Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Movie Reviews
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:25 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
maccrash21 wrote:
you guys seen any good shit lately. in the past month i've seen strangers on a train, the great dictator, purple rain, & blue velvet in theatres, so it's been a good month. catching some erotic surrealist anime film from '73 sometime next week, as well, & hopefully the room over the weekend. & hopefully green room soon as well. haven't been keeping as up with new films as i could be. i think i've only seen everybody wants some!! as far as this year goes, which was okay. oh, & also the witch & knight of cups, both of which kinda sucked. at least knight of cups was gorgeous. (idk if those'd be considered this year.)

outside of theatres, though, i've seen a fair amount of killer shit lately -- ivan's childhood, in the mood for love, 12 angry men, paris is burning, harakiri, tokyo godfathers, dogtooth, aguirre, life aquatic with steve zissou, twin peaks, true detective, the 400 blows. &c. watched ghost world yesterday & was surprised at how much it sucked. how about you guys. have you seen anything good lately.

Yeah you have seen some incredibly good shit lately. Goddamn this are some theater experience that I truly covet. Also, *(censored)* love 12 Angry Men and True Detective (season one of course). Lumet is so damn underrated when it comes to all time great directors.

As for shit I've seen recently. Everybody Wants Some. Really dug it. 10 Cloverfield Lame. It was kinda lame. Also seen To Catch a Thief, Blade Runner, The Dirty Dozen, Full Metal Jacket and I'm sure there's a few others, but like. I've been slacking. :/

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:48 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
LetsGoMets77 wrote:
maccrash21 wrote:
you guys seen any good shit lately.
yeah man. I dropped a nice thick deuce in the toilet a week ago. that shit hurt coming out but the quality was great. you could see all the crap i'd digested in the previous month. really worth it.

i remember being 12

@paul yeah. found a couple of incredible indie theatres in boston / providence that i've been taking advantage of recently. they're great. also i'm watching a beautiful mind in psychology & it's really dumb. russell crowe is a pretty bad actor. it reeks of 2001 oscar bait. Not Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:53 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Mets
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
maccrash21 wrote:
LetsGoMets77 wrote:
maccrash21 wrote:
yeah man. I dropped a nice thick deuce in the toilet a week ago. that shit hurt coming out but the quality was great. you could see all the crap i'd digested in the previous month. really worth it.
i remember being 12
lol fight me gaylord

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:39 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

maccrash21 wrote:
LetsGoMets77 wrote:
maccrash21 wrote:

i remember being 12

@paul yeah. found a couple of incredible indie theatres in boston / providence that i've been taking advantage of recently. they're great. also i'm watching a beautiful mind in psychology & it's really dumb. russell crowe is a pretty bad actor. it reeks of 2001 oscar bait. Not Cool

Never been a fan of Russel Crowe except for in like Master and Commander. But I am incredibly excited for The Nice Guys. Like physically amped. Shane Black is my shit

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:44 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Console '07: Don't Own
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Zootopia was damn good. Brings the "great humor for adults, cutesy animation for kids" that's prevalent in Spongebob/Shrek/etc. Did a solid and gutsy job of touching on prejudice and stereotyping throughout, making it pretty easy to follow and relatable. Although I have to say I thought it was a bit too much point A -> point B -> C -> D in terms of development and the main ideas. Maybe it's a good thing that it flew by so fast! I can see a profitable TV series, games, so on coming out of this, so in saying that it's a success for Disney.

you may call me Nicholas P. Wilde

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Whoa I just watched zootopia the other day too whoa spooky

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. It was good. The "twist" was a little telegraphed, but hey, it's a kid's movie. Overall an entertaining flick.

Finding Dory was decent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:56 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Hey now, just recently saw Zootopia too! Really enjoyed it (probably bc I really love Jason Bateman heyooo)

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:28 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Console '07: Don't Own
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Also saw Trainwreck today.. don't like Amy Schumer at all. Her humor does not sit well with me and I have a feeling she thought she was so clever with her writing and jokes, nor was the plot that interesting even if it's different from typical romcoms. Some of the quick wit in conversational situations involving her and Hader fell flat for me. I did not root for her character to have the happy ending, seeing as she seems really proud to be a screwup who drinks, smokes, might be racist, is pretty much openly a ho, cares not for sports, and is crass and rude. She didn't write the "girl plays into the guy's sports interests to understand him" quite as well as, say, Fever Pitch. At the end, when Amy dances - looking fairly happy - with the cheerleaders and doesn't seem too out of place, is just about the only time I felt glad for her, any type of warmth for her character.

Although I give big ups to Lebron and John Cena for being pretty solid in their roles which no one could really expect from them, not having much acting experience (esp. for Cena in the emotional tough guy role). Lebron played a variation on himself and seemed pretty comfortable in the flow/timing of dialogue for having a leading part; he had quite a few funny bits worth checking out (the Gold Digger shoutout and selling Aaron on Cleveland). Cena was like a natural when you consider a lot of his stuff was improv. Tbh he shined more than Amy for me but it could be just underexposure. Maybe I'm biased but I've seen others praise them for their performances, and they def have a future in the business once their careers are over.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:29 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

I saw The Nice Guys twice in the past month. Very good shit. Best movie in a fairly mediocre year so far.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:57 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

saw Deadpool on the plane to Mexico, I was cracking up quite a bit. Reynolds does the smartass thing very well, they make fun of everything from themselves [opening credits are priceless], Wolverine-Origins, their limited X-man budget, blase teenagers, the cliches and tropes they tread, superhero crap...it's all very well done. Refreshing, especially in contrast with the Batman-Superman throw each other into buildings while looking stern stuff.

Also saw The Heart of the Sea, which I didn't know much about honestly - thought it was just another Moby Dick undertaking. It turns out to be the TRUE story of the guys that INSPIRED the writing of Moby Dick. That is awesome - true to life, corroborated by no less than 3 survivors, and in some ways an even better story (okay, Melville's is a classic, but still). There's infighting and storms and sudden deaths that shock you in your seat, and while of course most of it is just actors being wet while CGI whales do their thing, when put in the historical context, you get a true appreciation for the time - whale oil, the skinny kid having to go inside the whale and scoop things out...gross, but well-acted and informational.

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:05 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Sully - this was remarkably good. Eastwood...don't like the guy, can't argue with his directing though. They go through the crash 3 times, the middle time from the perspective of the radio tower and the air traffic controller, which was great. There were some laughs, a few serious moments, and really this captured the emotions that come with a whole city coming together and responding to yet another plane-driven crises. Surprisingly engaging. Solid B.

London has Fallen - aaaaand here we go into unrealistic video game land. The first one had me on board - it was better than White House Down, and despite the stupidity of the ultra-Scottish actor portraying a lifelong US-resident protagonist, it was a decent, satisfying action pieces - Die Hard in the White House, basically. The sequel gets points for bringing everyone back from the prior flick, even for scenery, but it goes into terribly ridiculous territory - London as a whole is besieged by a few hundred terrorists, all kinds of world leaders are killed, and the president and his lone protector drive and run the streets of London trying to find safety. Gratuitous headshots and violence, an extreme video-game firefight in the middle, and just rampant unbelievability kind of kill this one. Somehow it still made as much money as the first, which means there might be a third ugh. D+

Keanu - Key and Peele have had some great skits, and some that kind of bomb or go on forever - like any sketch act. This movie feels like a lot of the latter - they do their funny suburban-ish black guys trying to be thug, the cat is cute as hell, but otherwise it's just too silly. The guest appearances by Anna Faris and Keanu Reeves help, but ultimately it's too silly to be worthwhile. D

Money Monster - what a weird collection of things in this movie. It starts with Clooney as a money Jim Cramer-esque show host, dancing with backup dancers and just making a goofball out of himself. Julia Roberts is his head producer who is leaving. There are laughs and boner jokes, and then a sudden turn when a guy storms the studio with a gun and a bomb vest he forces Clooney to wear. The movie alternates between serious and funny, realistic and conveniently way-too-simple. The third act is just too wrapped up to swallow, as McNulty from the Wire takes the "bad guy" hit without really being present in the movie. It's contrived and silly. D+

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7