Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie Reviews
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Saw it tonight, Straight Outta Compton was great in my eyes

Bye Felicica :lol:

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:01 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
watched spring breakers last night; it was excellent. feel like people massively missed the point, which is something I hate saying about movies because it makes me feel like a douche but it rings extraordinarily true with this one. people probably saw that selena gomez & vanessa hudgens were in a movie where teens are on spring break and party hard, etc with james franco playing a shitty white rapper with gold teeth and just automatically discarded it, but as far as I see it this film goes one of two ways:

a) it's satire. it's not glorifying any of this shit and is in fact attempting to show how shallow and empty all of these things are. (possible.)
b) it's mythologizing everything that goes on: this is backed up by all the absolutely gorgeous cinematography and the sheer frequency with which kids do crazy shit. this point can also back up a), considering we see kids snort coke or get shitfaced really often to the point of it becoming monotonous, another example of how dull and shallow that whole culture really is, but it could also be simply director harmony korine's innate love for everything that's going on. this is less likely, but still something to be considered.

uh, basically, it's a *(censored)* gorgeous film that people hate for stupid reasons and all of you should watch it ASAP. it does get dark as shit and includes a lot of some of the best scenes that I've ever seen in a movie, ever -- the heist scene in the beginning when the girls are trying to scrounge up enough money to even go on spring break is one of the most exhilarating things I've ever seen, while retaining its *(censored)*. james franco is nothing short of revelatory. watch this shit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:13 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '08: Wii and PS2
Regarding the Eazy-E AIDS scene in Straight Outta Compton, I wanted to be saddened by it, but that scene had one of the funniest lines in the movie. I'm not gonna complain about humor, but it sorta killed the mood, so to speak.

Are you saying it's wrong to talk to a bag of Skittles? Because if so, I'm going to need to rethink a lot of things. :P
BrewersFuzz wrote:
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
What do twelve year olds do with girlfriends?
Give them ringpops and let them cut up to their spot in line during lunch.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 2017 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS mutha *(censored)*!
Dishnetkid is a heretic who must be burned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:47 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
The part when everyone came to see him was still sad tho Skittles.

I saw Spring Breakers a few years ago Mac, thought it was dumb :lol: sorry for being one of those people :razz:

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:47 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Indians
Bumping this thread because the movie I saw tonight was worth it. THe Peanuts Movie was an all-around great time. Such a sweet movie, filled with humor for all ages to enjoy. Rarely does a kid's film present itself in such a way. Inside Out and this film have been the most enjoyable films I've seen this year so far (I expect SW VII to be on that list next month) which is unexpected from kids movies. It put me in a really good mood after watching.

BrewersFuzz wrote:
AND THEN IN A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS CLEVELAND BLOWS THE 3-1 LEAD THIS TIME

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:42 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Here's my (spoiler free) review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Holy shit was this movie good. Great direction, superb acting (probably the best out of all 7 star wars films), and filled with action (unlike the prequels). A lot happens in this film. John Boyega does a fantastic job as Finn, Daisy Ridley was fantastic as Rey, and the surprise performance came from Lupita Nyong'o, who played Maz Kanata. Lupita gave arguably the best performance in the film, and I wish she had more screen time. Overall, this movie can be enjoyed by Star Wars nerds and casual movie-goers alike. It's by far my favorite movie of all time, and I will definitely be seeing it more over break.

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:57 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

yeah it was great, saw it last night. will probably see it at least once more in theaters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:28 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Astros
I have to say they didn't make the best use of graphics in The Force Awakens, like they had in other star wars movies. But they also had a lot of nods to prior movies, like the BB unit with the map is just like the Episode 4 with R2 with the Lea message

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:20 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

That was one of the biggest things that irked me, and I hope that episode VIII won't be exactly like V.

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:10 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Giants
Ep VII is a five out of four stars movie.
It's also an imperfect movie.

I cannot wait for Ep VIII.

BEN: "The ICHIRO is what gives a Jedi his powers."

VADER: "The power of this battle station is insignificant next to the power of the ICHIRO."

BEN(ghost): "May the ICHIRO be with you, always."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:38 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Tdud123 wrote:
I have to say they didn't make the best use of graphics in The Force Awakens, like they had in other star wars movies. But they also had a lot of nods to prior movies, like the BB unit with the map is just like the Episode 4 with R2 with the Lea message

couldn't disagree more -- it was absolutely beautiful, the under-reliance on CGI worked spectacularly and every setpiece was gorgeous. the final shot was breathtaking, if not a little cheesy, but that's par for the course, and who *(censored)* cares. the action sequences kinda sucked from a technical standpoint but again, really, who *(censored)* cares at this point. I sure don't. great movie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:41 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Yeah, I'm glad they relied more on practical effects than CGI.

BrewersFuzz wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:49 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Wii and DS
maccrash21 wrote:
Tdud123 wrote:

couldn't disagree more -- it was absolutely beautiful, the under-reliance on CGI worked spectacularly and every setpiece was gorgeous. the final shot was breathtaking,if not a little cheesy, but that's par for the course, and who *(censored)* cares. the action sequences kinda sucked from a technical standpoint but again, really, who *(censored)* cares at this point. I sure don't. great movie

Hmm... I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that point if you're referring to the helicopter shot.

But overall, yeah it was *(censored)* great. At its best, it took me back to my childhood as well as resonating emotionally. At its worst, it was a fun movie that was a tad bit over reliant on the original trilogy.

Harrison Ford gave it his all, as did most of the cast. Woulda liked to have seen more from Oscar Isaac but I guess that's what sequels are for.

Rey was an incredible main character. Kasdan and Abrams did a seriously good job with writing the characters on this one.

I think I'll see this two more times in theaters at least. After that, can't wait to see what else is in store for this new trilogy!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:53 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Paul McCartney15 wrote:
maccrash21 wrote:
Tdud123 wrote:

couldn't disagree more -- it was absolutely beautiful, the under-reliance on CGI worked spectacularly and every setpiece was gorgeous. the final shot was breathtaking,if not a little cheesy, but that's par for the course, and who *(censored)* cares. the action sequences kinda sucked from a technical standpoint but again, really, who *(censored)* cares at this point. I sure don't. great movie

Hmm... I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that point if you're referring to the helicopter shot.

But overall, yeah it was *(censored)* great. At its best, it took me back to my childhood as well as resonating emotionally. At its worst, it was a fun movie that was a tad bit over reliant on the original trilogy.

Harrison Ford gave it his all, as did most of the cast. Woulda liked to have seen more from Oscar Isaac but I guess that's what sequels are for.

Rey was an incredible main character. Kasdan and Abrams did a seriously good job with writing the characters on this one.

I think I'll see this two more times in theaters at least. After that, can't wait to see what else is in store for this new trilogy!

yeah I'm talkin the helicopter shot. breathtaking was not the right word. it looked awful. but it was such a *(censored)* cheesy conclusion it made my heart swell. I loved it. and I wouldn't call it overreliant because most of the callbacks worked really well even though it's almost, like, a direct mirror -- like that one scene in some cantina was like. Ok. but it was still good.

plus, Oscar Isaac is my dude, Rey was awesome and when her character gets more developed it's gonna be wild, and yeah I'll be seeing this at least once more in theaters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:33 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Wii and DS
maccrash21 wrote:
Paul McCartney15 wrote:
maccrash21 wrote:

yeah I'm talkin the helicopter shot. breathtaking was not the right word. it looked awful. but it was such a *(censored)* cheesy conclusion it made my heart swell. I loved it. and I wouldn't call it overreliant because most of the callbacks worked really well even though it's almost, like, a direct mirror -- like that one scene in some cantina was like. Ok. but it was still good.

plus, Oscar Isaac is my dude, Rey was awesome and when her character gets more developed it's gonna be wild, and yeah I'll be seeing this at least once more in theaters.

The only place I'd call it particularly over reliant would be that one scene in the resistance bunker where they're going over how to defeat the new death planet.

Other than that, yeah, pretty goddamn exciting time to be in. This is the first time ever aside from Sith coming out that I've been able to anticipate a new Star Wars film. And seeing it the day after opening night was dope; a perfect mix of geezers who probably saw the original when it came out, and little kids all excited to see a new Star Wars on the big screen. So yeah.

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next