Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for discussion of anything EXCEPT MLB Power Pros, if your post does not belong here it will be moved. Thank you.
-->

Post subject: The Reign of Napoleon - A Civ 5 Interactive Journey
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:51 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Turn 0 - 4000 B.C. (Ancient Era)

Bonjour. I am Napoleon, otherwise known as the leader of France. This will mark the very first entry in my journal cataloguing the events occurring both here and across the world.

Today marks the beginning of a glorious day, as the nation of France has officially been established. I, Napoleon, have been chosen to guide this land to great heights, so that all other civilizations can gaze upon us in both fear and jealousy.

As of now, I am currently unaware of just how many more leaders like me are out there, if there are even any at all. I'm sure they are just starting up their civilizations like we are. I wonder what paths they will take. How will they govern? Will they cause problems, or will they promote peace? Which civilizations will be our friends, and which will be our enemies? There is so much to think about, but for now, I must focus on the needs of France as we begin our growth.

I had at my disposal a unit of Settlers and a unit of Warriors. I told the Warrior unit to search and explore more of our world, in hopes of meeting other civilizations and gathering potentially valuable resources.

I told my Settlers to go ahead and establish their very first city, which I decided to call Paris. Perhaps in the future, as our civilization expands and becomes more populated and wealthy, I will have the French citizens decide the name of our upcoming cities.

Paris is located on what I feel is a very resource-rich area. It is mainly located in the middle of plains, but there are plenty of minerals around the area and some interesting wildlife to boot. It is also located near two bodies of water, as there is a river that runs straight through Paris and what is either a lake or an ocean just outside our western border. With our Warrior unit heading westward, they should be able to clear things up for us.

Now that Paris is fully settled, it was time for the citizens to start producing. I had the city start production on a Scout unit, as they can travel farther than any other unit and take less time (8 units) to produce.

The city also needed a research project. With my four advisers all disagreeing with each other on what to produce, I decided to have my citizens choose...

So, this is where you guys come in. There are four available research projects available for you to choose from:

1. Pottery - After this project is finished, France will be able to build the Granary, which provides food to help our cities grow larger, and the Shrine, which produces Faith, which would help us found our own religion. Completing the Pottery project would pave the way for three new available projects: Sailing, Writing, and the Calendar. Recommended by my foreign advisor.

2. Animal Husbandry - Upon completion of this project, we would be able to build a Caravan unit, which would help us establish trade routes with other Civilizations. France would be able to receive gold, food, and/or much more through these routes.

The completion of the project would also result in Worker units having the ability to build Pastures for cows and sheep. The last direct effect would be the fact that it would show Horses on the map, and horses would be extremely helpful in bolstering our military. Completing the Animal Husbandry project would pave the way for two additional projects: Trapping and The Wheel. Recommended by my economic advisor.

3. Archery - After the completion of this project, we would be able to produce Archer units, the first unit that can attack from a distant range. The completion of this project would pave the way for the ability to research The Wheel project.

4. Mining - After this project is completed, Worker units would have the abilities to construct a mine and chop down a forest. Constructing mines would help increase the production levels of our cities, allowing for things to be finished faster. Chopping down a forest would allow us to build new things in the area where that forest was, making a previously unusable part of land usable.

The completion of this project would allow us to pursue two other projects: Masonry and Bronze Working.

Recommended by my military advisor.

All 4 projects take exactly the same amount of turns to finish. Currently, it would take 15 turns to finish our first project, but it could be less depending on the circumstances.

I am looking forward to hearing the citizens' thoughts on the matter, though I'm sure they'll have some questions about it. Of course, I am all ears! Hopefully the vote of the people will prove effective, perhaps it could set some sort of precedent in the long run...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is done. Let's see where this goes.

If you have no idea how Civ 5 works, a rundown is right here. It's on the official wiki dedicated to the Civilization series, so anything you might need to know should be right on that site.

Any thoughts, questions, or suggestions pertaining to this, er, log? Also, you are more than welcome to give your explanation on why you chose what you did in this poll or any future ones for that matter. It would definitely make for a better experience!

Last edited by PowerPro Jr on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Reign of Napoleon - A Civ 5 Interactive Journey
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:55 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
I actually think Civ is pretty interesting, haven't tried it though. Will follow to see how you go about it.

I picked Animal Husbandry because I think establishing the trade routes will open up fruitful opportunities later - you could use some quick gold and supplies to start off specifically. Bolstering the military will be important because of the invasions.

Last edited by philliesfan134 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:56 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Excited to see this! Civ 5 is one of my favourite games.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:27 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Neat idea! I did a report on Napoleon as a Freshman and thought he was pretty cool.

I also voted for Animal Husbandry cuz it's all about the money.

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:29 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

philliesfan134 wrote:
I actually think Civ is pretty interesting, haven't tried it though. Will follow to see how you go about it.

I picked Animal Husbandry because I think establishing the trade routes will open up fruitful opportunities later - you could use some quick gold and supplies to start off specifically. Bolstering the military will be important because of the invasions.

Prediction wrote:
Excited to see this! Civ 5 is one of my favourite games.

Thanks, guys! Hopefully with enough involvement from the forums, this could work out quite well. Really glad to see you explain your vote as well, phillies, you made a couple of good points.

As for the poll, I'll say the winner will be the first option to reach 5 (five) votes. Hopefully that isn't too much to ask for.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:59 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Turn 1 - 3975 B.C. (Ancient Era)

Our city has decided on a project! The citizens have agreed with my economic advisor, and we will be starting on the Animal Husbandry project as a result.

I decided to have my warrior unit travel northeast, where we escaped the barren tundra to encounter an area of plains. Up ahead, we saw a couple parts of land that were rich in silver. It would be to our advantage to claim that land as part of France as soon as possible. With my Warriors tired, and my civilians in the middle of their production, I decided to take a small rest.

Turn 2 - 3950 B.C. (Ancient Era)

I sent our Warriors westward, where they found two amazing discoveries. Their first discovery was a patch of land rich in gold. Gold, I am told, has many future benefits that would help greatly increase the wealth of our civilization.

The second discovery was some Ancient Ruins, remnants of civilizations before us. Nobody has any idea what lies inside, but just being able to explore it has me very excited! We did travel a bit, however, so we all agreed to wait for the Warriors to get their full energy back before heading inside the ruins.

Turn 3 - 3925 B.C. (Ancient Era)

With our Warriors now ready to go, we finally decided to head into the ancient ruins. Once inside, we were shocked to find people still living inside!

They explained to us how difficult it was trying to survive in the ruins, so seeing as how Paris needed a higher population in order to help increase production, we invited the survivors to become French citizens, and they were more than happy to oblige.

(Due to the population increase, both the Scout and the Animal Husbandry Projects now take 2 fewer turns to finish)

Turn 4 - 3900 B.C. (Ancient Era)

I sent the Warrior unit to travel northwest. Once they finished their journey, they discovered a city in what appeared to be a civilization like us. However, after exploring the city a little further, it appeared there was minimal growth and production, at least compared to us. Upon speaking with the leader of this city, which is named Colombo, he told us that they are not part of any other civilization and that they are their own entity, using the term "city-state" to describe it. He said the citizens of Colombo are perfectly happy living their modest life and have no plans to change in the near future.

It is very strange - in fact, it disgusts me to see these people have no ambition, no drive to build up their city. Surely their lives can be improved in some way. They did give me a gift of exactly 30 Gold for being the first civilization to come in contact with them, so I suppose I can't be too angry. And perhaps I need to build up Paris a bit more before casting any sort of judgement...

Turn 5 - 3875 B.C. (Ancient Era)

After traveling farther westward, our warriors reached the coast. I guess we will have to reevaluate our exploration plan.

I have also received reports that Paris is very close to finishing up their production of a Scout unit. It would be a welcome addition to the French army for sure.

Turn 6 - 3850 B.C. (Ancient Era)

I decided to send my troops north, through Colombo. They did not seem too happy, but for the sake of exploration, it was the best move to make. I assured Colombo's leader that we would not be staying for long, as I don't plan on making any enemies while France is still in its early stages of development.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry if this update is a bit boring, everything should pick up in the future as production increases and we meet new Civs, so I ask that you please hang in there.

The next update will have the next poll, I'm just getting the mundane stuff out of the way with this one.

As always, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:53 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Turn 7 - 3825 B.C. (Ancient Era)

Our Scout unit has finally been produced! This should greatly help us on our journey to explore the world. I immediately instructed Paris to start work on the production of a Worker unit, as I feel we need to make use of our resource-rich land. The fact that my science advisor recommended it also helped.

In other good news, our Animal Husbandry project is now more than halfway done.

With our new Scout unit ready to go, I sent them northeast of Paris, a part still undiscovered by us due to our Warriors originally heading northwest. The Scout unit found yet another patch of land rich in gold, as well as a large herd of deer.

I had our Warriors head east, where we encountered the troops of another Civilization! I met up with their leader, who introduced himself as Harun al-Rashid of Arabia. After introducing myself, he invited me to a feast at his palace, where I sampled the finest cuisine Arabia had to offer. We did not conduct any political discussion, as we had only just met each other and we have never even seen each others' lands.

We are still in Colombo's borders, and they are getting more agitated by the day. I expect that we will be gone from their land very soon, however...

Turn 8 - 3800 B.C. (Ancient Era)

Oh dear.

It appears we have met our first enemy, as our Warriors stumbled on a tribe of Barbarians during their exploration. I have to make sure our warriors are prepared to fight these people, as there is no option for peace when it comes to these savages.

Meanwhile, our Scouts have discovered nothing of importance after traveling further northeast. However, that is the least of my worries at the moment...

Turn 9 - 3775 B.C. (Ancient Era)

Before going into battle with the Barbarians, I decided to consult two sources: my military advisor, who believed we had a minor advantage over them but that it could go either way, and my citizens, who decided...

What should we do? Attack the barbarians now and gain some possibly valuable resources, which we need, or wait until we have more reinforcements to assure victory? Keep in mind it could take a while for reinforcements to arrive. Cast your vote in the poll at the top!

Last edited by PowerPro Jr on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:55 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Astros
Murther! Bloody murder of the barbs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:49 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I'm the 5th vote 8) JUST DO IT!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:15 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Mets
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Yeah, kill 'em all!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:47 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Turn 9 - 3775 B.C. (Ancient Era) (cont.)

...to attack the Barbarians, in what seemed to be a unanimous vote.

Before I launched my attack, I wanted to get everything else out of the way beforehand. So, I sent my Scout unit north, where they found...

nothing, yet again. Go figure.

I checked up on the progress of the Animal Husbandry project. It appears they are 3/4 of the way done. I cannot wait until they are finished!

With everything now taken care of, it was time to send my Warriors into battle. It was a hard-fought struggle, and we lost some men, but overall, it appears we did far more damage to them than they did to us. Both camps retreated to their base, contemplating their strategies as they prepare to fight again.[/quote]

(French Warrior unit took 24 damage, Barbarian unit took 37 damage)

Turn 10 - 3750 B.C. (Ancient Era)

Once again, the main focus was wiping out the Barbarians for good. So, after I sent my Scout further east, I prepared my Warriors for battle once more.

This battle was slightly less successful than our first attack, but we did manage to come out looking better than the Barbarians still. We should be able to wipe them out quite soon at this rate.

(French Warrior unit took 21 damage, Barbarian unit took 26 damage)

Turn 11 - 3725 B.C. (Ancient Era)

Our remaining Warriors looked a lot stronger after our last skirmish. They had adapted quite quickly to the terrain. I decided to attack the Barbarians immediately rather than get everything else out of the way first. After the battle, it looked like the Barbarians were down to their very last men. I suggested the option of surrendering, but they were having none of it. It's a shame that they will have to fall victim to their own pride...

I sent my Scout unit east, where they came upon 2 different parts of land with their own valuable resource. The first area, a forest, contained silk, more of a luxury resource, but still very useful. The second land area had a large amount of cattle. I heard they can produce food in more ways than one, so that could be a huge boost to ensuring the citizens of Paris never go hungry again.

After the Barbarians retreated, I plotted out what should be our final battle with them.

Turn 12 - 3700 B.C. (Ancient Era)

France is doing well so far. Our research project is in the closing stages, we are about to win our first battle, we are exploring the world at a fairly decent pace, and my citizens have never been happier!

The first thing I did was send my Scout unit further east yet again. They came across a couple of areas rich in resources: one had a large amount of salt mines, and the other had a large herd of buffalo living in that area. The Scout has traveled pretty far east now, so perhaps another civilization will claim those lands before us. Of course, I would love to have them as ours, but it is a good idea to stay realistic for now.

With the Scout's orders taken care of, there was only one thing left to do.

As expected, we wiped out the original Barbarian tribe. We ransacked their base and recovered 37 Gold, money that will certainly be used towards the betterment of France. Our grand total now comes to 97 Gold, but more importantly, we have won our very first battle.

However, the Barbarians had spawned a new unit after our last fight, which is not good news considering our depleted forces. We might end up losing our Warrior unit as a result. Maybe waiting for reinforcements wasn't that bad of an idea, though I never expected the Barbarians to produce new soldiers so quickly...

Turn 13 - 3675 B.C. (Ancient Era)

Bittersweet news for France today, as while our Animal Husbandry project has been completed and we have our first trade route, our Warrior unit was wiped out by the new Barbarian reinforcements. Due to our military being essentially depleted, I decided to have France's next research project be Archery, as we desperately need new forms of military technology.

My lone Scout unit headed southeast, where they came upon an area of land with many horses.

There is not much I can do now except wait and hope our Scouts discover something we can use immediately. Finding another set of ancient ruins would certainly do the trick...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:25 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

So you won the battle but lost the war.... Fitting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:09 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Astros
Happy B-Day Napoleon!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:04 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Turn 14 - 3650 B.C. (Ancient Era)

As luck would have it, after traveling southeast, our Scout has discovered ancient ruins! Things have quickly turned around for France. This marks the second time we have come across ancient ruins so far, and if this is anything like the first time we discovered them, we should be in for quite the reward.

We shall make the trek into the ruins later, but now is the time for rest.

Turn 15 - 3625 B.C. (Ancient Era)

We took the trip into the ruins, and what we saw was absolutely beautiful. There were so many interesting artifacts in the ruins, seemingly lost in time, now resurrected. I took these artifacts back to Paris, for our citizens to see with their own eyes.

It seemed to elicit the same reaction from them as it did from us. The people were absolutely in awe and admiration. They had never seen anything like these artifacts before, but it definitely inspired them to try and make something similar, yet with their own twist. I could sense that French culture was starting to grow and take shape, and I was absolutely ready for it.

Turn 16 - 3600 B.C. (Ancient Era)

I sent my Scout northeast, but they reported back nothing of note.

However, with the French people finding their own culture, I felt it was time for them to choose a social policy, which would aid in the advancement of said culture in one of many different ways.

The citizens ended up choosing...

Here is your next choice.

Which social policy should France adopt?

1. Tradition

2. Liberty

3. Honor

4. Piety

All images posted above show what adopting each policy would bring to France, according to the Civ 5 Wiki. They explain it better than I ever could.

If there is anything you need to know that those images can't explain for you, then please ask me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:35 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I chose Honor because it sounds like Sparta and Sparta kicked ass.