Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:30 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
the idea is good for the credits to ask for players to be made.
since that wouldnt bother me, since i dont ask, i make my own, tho they arent super awesome like the ones people make and post, but they get the job done when i need them to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:41 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
IF and when we go to a credit system, we will most likely do it when we do a complete overhaul of the site.

We're trying to get our hands on a more appropriate domain name, and looking for software to perform the tasks that we need (mainly wiki/forum).

We're also looking into making a web page as a front (using CMS or something similar) to improve the look of the site.

It's all just talk (and research) right now, and of course we're going to have to actually spend time getting dirty with the code so it's almost spotless and bug free when we do release it.

It would work great timing wise if we could get it all worked out for the release of the game, but that's probably asking too much out of DS.

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:12 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
While I understand that you and DS admin the site, I'd make two suggestions - first, when you're contemplating a significant policy or structural change to the site, it makes sense to at least informally solicit feedback from your community before implementation.

Second, look for possibilities to leverage the skills of community members to share some of the workload rather than trying to do everything yourselves. Obviously use some discretion in delegating out work, but don't feel like you've got to do everything.

A possible idea that uses the post count approach would be to create a "Hall of Fame" forum (just a name that fits thematically) that was restricted to people with a minimum of like 200 posts. It could be a place to have site/policy discussions and such among people who have been around awhile without having them open to the general community. DS would still be the final decision maker, but it creates a better situation where long time members at least have a voice in the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:29 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

I take full responsibility for the aggressive changes made so far, though I am no more an admin than any of the other mods here (I suppose I just complain to DS more XD).

I agree this site should be run more by it's veteran members rather than say, just me poking DS, or whomever is running the wiki. We did have a forum set aside for the long standing members, though it seems to have disappeared when the forums got reorganized.

I'll see if I can have DS reinstate it.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:06 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
In my opinion, maybe it's gone a little overboard. I agree with the idea of using credits to prevent people from just joining to request players.

But what of those newbies who have legit players to post, or have the ability to help out with the requests of others?

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject: Re: Need special access to browse new password forum?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:09 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
I think that there should be a minimum post requirement in order to access the "new topic" button.
This would cut down on topics being started about subjects that have already been discussed. I'd say once you have about 20 posts or so, you will be more familiar with the website and are less likely to ask duplicate questions.
Instead, there could be a topic called "topic request" where new members could ask permission from a moderator to start a new subject, so that the moderator could confirm or deny access based on the topic.
There should also be a topic in just about every forum permanently at the top in capital letters called "BASIC QUESTIONS", or something like that, to draw the attention of new members. Because NATURALLY, they're going to want to just start their own topic, not knowing any better.
This way most of the repeat questions (basic questions) are put in the same place and not taking up space in the important topics. And you don't have to worry about how many pages get built up or if someone repeats something because once your basic questions get answered, your not going to want to go searching through that topic anyway.

Just an idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:10 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '08: Wii and DS
I'm more of a lurker than a poster here, but I figure I'll throw in my two cents since this directly effects me. :roll:

I'm fine with the idea of restricting posts and certain topics to reduce requests from short-lived members, but why block the forum altogether? All the characters here just make the site look better and let people get more out of their game. Seeing characters like Sifu just blew me away and got me more interested in seeing the other characters made, and I would imagine they will have a similar impact on others.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:44 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
I think that newbies should be able to view the password exchange but not the Password Request forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:06 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Yeah, I don't see any value in blocking the Password Exchange itself, especially since many of us link to our own players in our signatures anyway :) I think most any of us that take the time to post our players would want anyone who wanted them to be able to get them.

The password requests forum is a different story though. I think putting a minimum post count on that one makes sense, and actually makes the site more friendly rather than less friendly even though that sounds counterintuitive. What I mean is, if someone with only a couple of posts (or none at all) posted a request, is is likely to get ignored. Then they think this site sucks and they leave. I'd be in favor setting the permissions though to "read only" rather than "no access" (which hides it from view entirely). Let people know that it is there, and put the requirements and the rationale in a sticky. New people may not be happy not being able to post in the requests forum right away, but seeing the forum exists serves a couple of purposes - first is marketing, it's a cool "service" the site offers (even though there is no formal process or guarantee a request will be filled). Second, it also lets people see what kind of players other people are requesting, and sets their expectations about what is realistic to ask for and what isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:16 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Wyl wrote:
Yeah, I don't see any value in blocking the Password Exchange itself, especially since many of us link to our own players in our signatures anyway :) I think most any of us that take the time to post our players would want anyone who wanted them to be able to get them.

The password requests forum is a different story though. I think putting a minimum post count on that one makes sense, and actually makes the site more friendly rather than less friendly even though that sounds counterintuitive. What I mean is, if someone with only a couple of posts (or none at all) posted a request, is is likely to get ignored. Then they think this site sucks and they leave. I'd be in favor setting the permissions though to "read only" rather than "no access" (which hides it from view entirely). Let people know that it is there, and put the requirements and the rationale in a sticky. New people may not be happy not being able to post in the requests forum right away, but seeing the forum exists serves a couple of purposes - first is marketing, it's a cool "service" the site offers (even though there is no formal process or guarantee a request will be filled). Second, it also lets people see what kind of players other people are requesting, and sets their expectations about what is realistic to ask for and what isn't.

I agree, I remember when I posted in this thread and couldn't view the password exchange, I was mad, but I started to post a lot and now I have 100+ posts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:04 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
Sorry for reviving an ancient thread but I wanted to emphasize what MrWelz said here and add my own opinions.

MrWelz wrote:
I think that there should be a minimum post requirement in order to access the "new topic" button.
This would cut down on topics being started about subjects that have already been discussed. I'd say once you have about 20 posts or so, you will be more familiar with the website and are less likely to ask duplicate questions.
Instead, there could be a topic called "topic request" where new members could ask permission from a moderator to start a new subject, so that the moderator could confirm or deny access based on the topic.
There should also be a topic in just about every forum permanently at the top in capital letters called "BASIC QUESTIONS", or something like that, to draw the attention of new members. Because NATURALLY, they're going to want to just start their own topic, not knowing any better.
This way most of the repeat questions (basic questions) are put in the same place and not taking up space in the important topics. And you don't have to worry about how many pages get built up or if someone repeats something because once your basic questions get answered, your not going to want to go searching through that topic anyway.

[The bolded part of the quote is the solution to the password request problems. A newbie won't be able to request a player if he can't start a new thread. But he would still be able to reply to a request by another member. So if he is willing to help a member of the forums, he can, and gain credits to request his own player at the same time.

Again, I apologize for reviving this ancient thread but I feel that this is a good solution to the password request problems in this thread. I do not know if you guys already have a solution in place because I have passed the "newbie" level a long time ago, and if you do, I apologize for wasting time. But this idea should be considered seriously.

The other thing that I would like to bring concerns the rest of MrWelz's post. I suggest that there is a forum called "Basic Questions" at the top of the screen, and/or the only available forum that is not "hidden" to non-registered members.

Just an idea.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Well since it's been bumped I suppose I can ask this. For the credits system suggested does that mean you would get paid a lot of credits to make a great player requested by somebody, would there be a system to make it cost a little less for every minor mistake made? Also, does that mean by adding to password exchange you would get just as much as any post but for doing a request you would get a lot more?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:56 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

I don't believe such a system is planned at this point. If we reconsider it, we'll open a new topic for discussion.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3