Post subject: A solution for chronic MLBPP data corruption [Wii]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:16 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Sorry if this is at all a repost--I searched for some keywords and didn't find anything

With PP2k8 I've at several times tried to save and been told that my data is corrupted and that I need to delete it to save my current game. Most of the times manually powering off the Wii will make it so that the next time that you play your data will be sound, though you'll have lost your most recent progress.

However, at least twice I've lost everything. Once this meant losing probably the best Success player I'd ever made (a Catcher with A Con, Pwr, Run Spd; B Fld, Arm Str, E res; 4 trajectory; and a ton of abilities). But fortunately I was able to restore my data from the backup that I had made a few weeks prior.

Many of you probably already know this but there's a software package that you can load onto your Wii called HomeBrew. It allows you to install third party software like open source third-party games; region-free bootloaders; media players that let you play videos on your Wii from a DVD, SD Card, or even USB mass storage device; cheat engines; other Operating Systems; and most importantly file system utilities. You just load this software onto your SD card making this Wii modding free from the risk of damaging your Wii and setup so that any problems that could happen can just be fixed by erasing the contents of your SD card.

The biggest deterrent from backing up Wii PP data is that it's stored internally and can't (normally) be copied to your SD card. WiiBrew provides a way around this. It has a utility called Savegame Extractor and it's compliment Savegame Installer that let you extra the saved data from any Wii game to your SD card and be able to transfer it back. It's actually very easy to use--no programming knowledge required.

With these programs I'm able to backup my PP data every week or so and not have to worry about losing everything if my data corrupts.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page contains information on how to install the Homebrew Channel and then how to install the apps available for it. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Savegame_Extractor and http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Savegame_Installer are what you need.

Now some features of the homebrew channel can cheat Nintendo in some ways like being able to boot imported games. I ask that you don't use it for this purpose but just to enhance your gaming experience.

If you have any problems figuring how how to set this all up I'll try to visit this thread and help. Remember, this is not a hardware modification to your Wii and any changed are easily reversible.