Post subject: FLD
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
In your opinion, what is the highest FLD rating a 1B should have in MLBPP? For example, Adrian Gonzalez and Mark Teixeira.

Last edited by Eric Davis 44 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: FLD
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:38 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
11, unless they have a 2nd position (Miggy, Michael Young, etc.) they shouldn't even need that, a 8/9 fld and C or higher E RES should be good.

yeah that log's dead too- i mean on hiatus (yes that one too) (seriously all of them now lol) (haha unless...?)

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

Second Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:55 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Tex at least deserves a B, any other first basemen deserve a C or D. An A rating is for someone like Keith Hernandez.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
shuuto12 wrote:
Tex at least deserves a B, any other first basemen deserve a C or D. An A rating is for someone like Keith Hernandez.

The reason I asked the question - and my concern overall - is that high FLD for a 1B results in a) covering ground like Elvis Andrus and b) me fighting the temptation to switch him to 3B or SS or CF during spring training. I think I'm on the same page as AgentP. 8/9 for the elite 1B, 4/5/6/7 for the majority, and 1/2/3 for the slow/bad glove guys. In real life, Teixeira was moved off 3B in the minor leagues because he couldn't hack it defensively.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:33 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Ah, that makes total sense then, seeing that 1B is the "easiest" defensive position to play.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Orioles
I use 12 as a maximum and try to use it sparingly. There aren't many I would give that score to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:49 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Best fielding firstbasemen are probably Texeira, Pujols and Daric Barton. I know Barton doesnt play much anymore but he is a very good fielder. He also won a gold glove, I think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:29 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Pujols is one of those first basemen that plays another position, though, so you do have to take that into account, I believe he was a left fielder to start his career, started playing 1st because of an injury, he also plays 3rd base. An 11 or 12 fld, a D at 3B, and a D at LF should suit him.

yeah that log's dead too- i mean on hiatus (yes that one too) (seriously all of them now lol) (haha unless...?)

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '07: Don't Own
AgentP wrote:
Pujols is one of those first basemen that plays another position, though, so you do have to take that into account, I believe he was a left fielder to start his career, started playing 1st because of an injury, he also plays 3rd base. An 11 or 12 fld, a D at 3B, and a D at LF should suit him.

I thought he played SS too...

Ah, here we go. Wikipedia says he played SS in college, 3B in the minors, then once in the majors he played 1B, 3B, LF, & RF for his first season. He played most of his second and third seasons in LF. He was moved to 1B and stayed there in his fourth season.

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:01 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
BrewersFuzz wrote:
AgentP wrote:

I thought he played SS too...

Ah, here we go. Wikipedia says he played SS in college, 3B in the minors, then once in the majors he played 1B, 3B, LF, & RF for his first season. He played most of his second and third seasons in LF. He was moved to 1B and stayed there in his fourth season.

The Baseball Cube (http://thebaseballcube.com/players/prof ... ert-Pujols) has a breakdown of Pujols' fielding stats. Basically he hasn't played LF or RF since his rookie year, and played 3B in 7 games last year (although before then he had only played 41 games there in '02). I would give 3B a D and LF/RF an E.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
Changing the topic slightly, but I'm thinking the folks monitoring this post are most likely to have my answer.

Question 1: Would you agree with the following: the fielding stat impacts the likelihood that a fielder (especially an infielder) will be in position to field the ball without the user moving him (much) and also boosts (or drops) his speed rating in the field?

Mainly, I'm noticing that infielders with a higher fielding rating seem to have the ball hit to them more, and seem to move more quickly to the ball.

Question 2: How does fielding ratings interact with position ratings?

I have JR Towles as a bench player - D speed, B arm, C defense, C errors. I use him as a backup SS - my starting SS has G speed, D defense and arm. Towles is solely a catcher right now, so when you look at the various fielding positions, it lists G as his SS rating. I'm not sure if it's just in my head, but it seems that when Towles plays SS...

(1) he is out of position more than my starting SS
      (2) he moves to the ball more quickly than my starting SS (ie, has more range)
      (3) he throws the ball better than my current SS
      (4) he seems to move slightly slower and throw slightly slower from the SS spot than from the catching spot.

Question 3: is there a trick to getting some extra oomph on a throw? Usually, I have the defender throwing while moving towards the base he's throwing to. Do you find it better to have the defender stand still while throwing?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:54 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

1- yes
2- I would assume it lowers/drops the FLD/ERES/ARMSTR ratings
3- I don't think so

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '08: Don't Own
Hi everyone. I love the discussion about ratings and have read every post on here that I can about it. Thank you for this site. I would like to run a couple of things by you guys and see if I'm following correctly.

FLD...this is basically range for the player correct? It sounds like the higher the fld, the more ground they cover and better position they are in. This has nothing to do with creating errors though...correct.

Also, I wanted to check what scale you recommend for fielding at each position. I prefer to have the game player closer to the realistic side, as opposed to the arcade, but I know everyone has their own preference.

P= ?
C= 1-14 (I was wondering how fielding effects a catcher, fielding bunts? passed balls?)
1B= 1-9
2B= 1-14
3B= 1-11?
SS= 1-14
LF= 1-14
CF= 1-14
RF= 1-14

It seems like 14 is the max for players, not 15. I was also thinking that maybe the corner outfield positions should be lower, such as a max at 12. I know that there are some fast corner outfielders, but it also seems like the most demanding position in the OF is CF, so maybe that position should reflect it.

Love to hear feedback and opinions from everyone. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
Glad you found us!

gobeavs21 wrote:
FLD...this is basically range for the player correct? It sounds like the higher the fld, the more ground they cover and better position they are in. This has nothing to do with creating errors though...correct.

I think range is a function of FLD & SPD, but players with better FLD seem to start off in the right position more often. With OF, higher speed can offset lower fielding.

gobeavs21 wrote:
Also, I wanted to check what scale you recommend for fielding at each position. I prefer to have the game player closer to the realistic side, as opposed to the arcade, but I know everyone has their own preference.

It's easier for me to offer my opinion in terms of letter rankings, but if you're looking to mirror a real life player, you just need to consider how good a fielder they are.

P= ? - I never have my pitchers practice this so I can't comment
C= E-D This doesn't affect passed balls or wild pitches. It affects the catcher's ability to track down pop flies and bunts.
1B= F-D
2B= B-C - I've gotten away with a D range 2b who has a good arm - it takes him longer to get to the ball so he needs to make stronger throws
3B= F-D
SS= C-A
LF= E-D
CF= D-B
RF= E-C

I don't recall ever having my OF work on defense unless their error rating was real low. I have them focus on speed instead.

gobeavs21 wrote:
I was also thinking that maybe the corner outfield positions should be lower, such as a max at 12. I know that there are some fast corner outfielders, but it also seems like the most demanding position in the OF is CF, so maybe that position should reflect it.

Power hitters are usually slower, though there are exceptions. OF of any position that are speedy singles and doubles hitters usually need to also be solid fielders.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '08: Don't Own
What about arm strength? Do you guys usually rank everyone on a scale of 1-14, or do you max out 2B at 10 or so?

Is ERES just a standard fielding percentage?

I am hoping to take the information from these threads about the ratings and put it in a format that someone could just click on and use as reference, all in one area.

Thanks.