Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strategy for Maxed-Out Hitter (*updated*)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
(Amended 11/25/08)

Success Mode Strategy ~ 14 Early Steps for Building a Maxed-Out Hitter

1} Roll for a new character with decent Core Abilities. For a player with no inherent abilities, TRJ 1, CON 1, PWR 45+, with 3’s, 4’s and 5’s everywhere else is very solid. Otherwise, I highly recommend a player with Pr Sense. Your abilities will be higher (TRJ 2, CON 3, PWR 75, with 4’s, 5’s and 6’s everywhere else) and Pr Sense is easy to get rid of.

2} For Frank’s first practice, choose "Play Catch" and S/L until you get Throwing Ability.

3} Visit Sittch ASAP in month 2 (March):
- S/L Activity 1 until you receive Hot Hitter and Gd B2B HTR.
- S/L Activity 2 until you receive Gd Sense (or get rid of Pr Sense). The correct answer is “Behind the Tree.”
- S/L Activity 3 until you receive Mizzoto Glove Pro (FLD +1, ERES +1). The correct answer is “Neither.”

4} Do not Boost abilities until Year 1 Apr Wk 4, immediately before your first playable game, unless you have rid yourself of Pr Sense and acquired the Gambler’s Ring.

5} Finding Jaw during March or April of Year 1 is preferred, but not necessary. Your first order of business with Jaw should be to Find Dog in 2 Weeks, S/L for Surprise Bag, S/L for Gambler’s Ring.

6} Once you receive the Gambler’s Ring, Boost/Gamble immediately after each practice and/or acquisition of Experience Points gained from events unless you are saving Experience Points for a specific 4-category gamble (i.e. saving a little bit of Strength to combine with one Fielding Practice or saving a little bit of Quickness to combine with one Throwing Practice).

7} When practicing/boosting early on, focus on Power. This will help to perform well in games. Make Contact your #2 priority and Running Speed your #3 priority. The first wave of Special Abilities you should target are Power Hitter, Spray Hitter, Refined, VS Lefty 4 and 5, and Grt IF HTR. Contact Hitter is another good one, but Siitch will give this to you for free when you complete his arc. You can also get Power Hitter and VS Lefty 4 for free by performing well in games, so you might want to spend those points elsewhere.

8} Visit Bison at the beginning of April (after you get paid for March) and spend all of your money on Carryover Chocolates ($50 ea). Eat one immediately. The item will be grayed out until the effect is over. As soon as the effect wears off, eat another one (or use Smiling Faces handy chart). Repeat indefinitely. You can save the Discount Coupon for an equipment haul (bat, spikes and waxes) at the end of the game, but Marvin will eventually give you another one. I usually combine my first coupon with the money I get from the thief to load up on bat waxes prior to Season 2.

9} Fill the Energy Bar through Free Time Activities. Never buy Energy Drinks. Energy Bar should be full or nearly full by end of Year 1.

10} Speaking of Free Time Activities, do not underestimate their value. For example, a run in the Park or a hike in the Mountains will net you Strength and Quickness Points. There is no practice that can net you Strength and Quickness Points at one time, and unlike practices, a run in the Park can be performed with an empty Vitality gauge.

11} When you must Practice, try to do it Week 4 for extra Experience Points. However, never Advance to get more turns for Week 4 at the expense of the Weekly Commands Bar. An additional turn is more valuable than a Week 4 practice.

12} Be an efficient booster by calculating the best way to spend your Experience Points before boosting. For example, you might be able to boost both Arm Strength and Running Speed if you boost Arm Strength first, but not the other way around.

13} To restore Vitality, eat a Spicy Dog Special (+50 or +60 for $8) or a Chinese Combo (+75 or +70 for $50). Eat a Steak when you need to restore a small amount of Vitality and are boosting Power, particularly late in the game.

14} There are 5 playable Games during Year 1. Goal for Scout Points should be approximately 10+ per game average. It’s OK if you only receive 8 Scout Points during the first couple of games as long as you make up the difference in future games as your hitter grows stronger. The Scout Points you accumulate through games, the occasional practice and the Scout Test will be more than enough to get you into the AAA lineup and into the pros. No Shiny Fragrance or Prince necklace is required.

If you follow these steps and S/L your way into the off-season, the rest will be a cakewalk with minimal S/L required.

Last edited by Eric Davis 44 on Tue May 22, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Strategy for Maxed-Out Hitter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:20 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Nice job Eric. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Pirates
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and DS
wow. thanks SO much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:26 pm 
Prospect
Prospect

Favorite Team: White Sox
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
thanks very much! This is a great " guide "

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:34 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Yikes, that's an insane amount of work. Very good write-up all the same. I'm pretty certain you don't need to do that much though. Here's what I did for my almost maxed hitter (missed 4/5 abilities including intimidator):
Started with Bad Sense, kept it
Got 1 Good Job
Full Sttich training
wasted time dating (stopped me from getting maxed, If I did less dates and went out with Lucy, I'd have had a maxed guy)
once I got to mid as in power, I did the steak house which is what let me max power (huge help, but wait till a if your trying to max it as points get more expensive)
practicing mostly on week 4 (regret it, another thing that stopped me form maxing, I skipped turns)
no chocolates (regretted, if I did this I might have maxed)
2 gambler's rings, one from dating patty, the other from a suprise bag (first try). If I never dated Patty, I would have gotten the ring like i did a turn later and still got intimiadator
games where I was, on average, 3/3-4/4 with 2-4 homers. I never hit less then 2 homers after year 2 game 3. This was a huge difference
Played since the first game of the second season.
used remaining money at end for fielding boost.
This isn't nearly as detailed and I got lucky with good job. However, I would have been able to max without goodjob and plenty of points to spare if I practiced every week I had spare time (with gamblers ring, week 4 vrs any other week is the same), dated lucy and less, got romance necklace, and probably chocolates. An earliar gamblers ring would have helped to.
I think this is a little more simple to do.
]

- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-Always go to other peoples' funerals otherwise they won't go to yours.
-I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
I'm on vacation for about a month.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

cownip wrote:
Started with Bad Sense, kept it.

When you get Gd Sense, does Bad Sense disappear? If so, that's a huge plus because you get those higher starting stats and while getting rid of Bad Sense before you even need to boost.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Reds
First off, I would like to say excellent job on the planning for getting a maxed hitter. I think any plan before you start out if you have a specific goal will get you there. I would recommend incorporating Isabela from the Steakhouse into the mix to boost your power.

Secondly, I am doing a maxed out player (RF, 3B, C) right now with every possibility ability, except pull hitter, intimidator (some how I messed up the patty arc, I will be posting what I did later to get some analysis), trash talk and break up double play, on the primary tabs. I didn't get star (waited to late with Emily Young) or aggressive steal (screwed up first practice with Frank) or Sparkplug (another good RE and didn't reload). I have Patient hitter, Aggressive RUN and FLD, Gd Morale, Gd Small Ball on the other tab. I would like to learn how to get Gd Eye, but currently don't and also slugger! I didn't do any save loading for good sense early on. I didn't get it until Frank year 2. I also didn't get Jaw until Year 1 May Week 4, in which I did about 4 jobs before the end of the year.

My intention of doing a second maxed out hitter, was so I could do a write up of the exact steps that I took to get there and post them on here. I have about 6 weeks to go, and I am currently already maxed out, with a bat of like +24. Also, I didn't get any Dr. Goodjob events.

I will be doing the same thing for a max pitcher (pitching abilities only) next, but that will take a quite a bit more planning since getting max control is so hard.

Again, good luck in your venture!

Going from Bad Sense to Good Sense requires two sense upgrade events.

All my success mode players that I created can be found here.

Last edited by SmilingFaces96 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:48 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
By the way, I meant too many Lucy Dates, not Patty. I screwed up Patty with my last guy too.
I'll make a go at a maxed out hitter and I'll write down my steps as well.

- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-Always go to other peoples' funerals otherwise they won't go to yours.
-I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
I'm on vacation for about a month.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:56 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Nationals
Console '07: Don't Own
SmilingFaces96 wrote:
First off, I would like to say excellent job on the planning for getting a maxed hitter. I think any plan before you start out if you have a specific goal will get you there. I would recommend incorporating Isabela from the Steakhouse into the mix to boost your power.

Secondly, I am doing a maxed out player (RF, 3B, C) right now with every possibility ability, except pull hitter, intimidator (some how I messed up the patty arc, I will be posting what I did later to get some analysis), trash talk and break up double play, on the primary tabs. I didn't get star (waited to late with Emily Young) or aggressive steal (screwed up first practice with Frank) or Sparkplug (another good RE and didn't reload). I have Patient hitter, Aggressive RUN and FLD, Gd Morale, Gd Small Ball on the other tab. I would like to learn how to get Gd Eye, but currently don't and also slugger! I didn't do any save loading for good sense early on. I didn't get it until Frank year 2. I also didn't get Jaw until Year 1 May Week 4, in which I did about 4 jobs before the end of the year.

My intention of doing a second maxed out hitter, was so I could do a write up of the exact steps that I took to get there and post them on here. I have about 6 weeks to go, and I am currently already maxed out, with a bat of like +24. Also, I didn't get any Dr. Goodjob events.

I will be doing the same thing for a max pitcher (pitching abilities only) next, but that will take a quite a bit more planning since getting max control is so hard.

Again, good luck in your venture!

Going from Bad Sense to Good Sense requires two sense upgrade events.

if you made emily/lucy your girlfriend, then you can't finish patty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:57 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Reds
I never made emily or lucy my girlfriend. I never even attempted to go on a date with any of those other two.

All my success mode players that I created can be found here.

Last edited by SmilingFaces96 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:01 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Nationals
Console '07: Don't Own
oh ok, then I'll wait for your post about what you did

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:07 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Rays
This is a very well thought out guide. Of course I usually only make real players now. Anyways, very meticulous guide, if I followed that to each word I would probably be maxxed out, do you plan to make one on a pitcher? Out of curiousity, it would be great for the Wiki.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3276

It's going to be great!!!

Time to stop the spam!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3294

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

DrMario wrote:
This is a very well thought out guide. Of course I usually only make real players now. Anyways, very meticulous guide, if I followed that to each word I would probably be maxxed out, do you plan to make one on a pitcher? Out of curiousity, it would be great for the Wiki.

You can max out a hitter without following the guide to a tee. I just finished a maxed-out CF - no equipment and No Dr. Goodjob necessary - and acquired every ability sans Intimidator and Rally Hitter (not sure how I missed Rally Hitter). The additional Gambler's Rings I picked up along the way (3 or 4) went to waste in the end because I didn't need money for equipment. The money you make from Jaw while getting the occassional Book, the Steak job and your salary is more than enough for C-Chocolates and whatever you might need int he end.

Also, if you're building a maxed out hitter (or any hitter for that matter) skip Head First Slide. It actually slows you down when trying to beat out an infield hit. It only comes in handy for avoiding tags when the defender is pulled off the bag by a wide throw, which is rare.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:14 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Rays
Eric Davis 44 wrote:
DrMario wrote:

You can max out a hitter without following the guide to a tee. I just finished a maxed-out CF - no equipment and No Dr. Goodjob necessary - and acquired every ability sans Intimidator and Rally Hitter (not sure how I missed Rally Hitter). The additional Gambler's Rings I picked up along the way (3 or 4) went to waste in the end because I didn't need money for equipment. The money you make from Jaw while getting the occassional Book, the Steak job and your salary is more than enough for C-Chocolates and whatever you might need int he end.

Also, if you're building a maxed out hitter (or any hitter for that matter) skip Head First Slide. It actually slows you down when trying to beat out an infield hit. It only comes in handy for avoiding tags when the defender is pulled off the bag by a wide throw, which is rare.

O no-no, I already know about all that don't worry, I hate head first slide, plus it's easier to get injured.

Anyways, my question was, do you think you would make one for a pitcher?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3276

It's going to be great!!!

Time to stop the spam!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3294

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

DrMario wrote:
Eric Davis 44 wrote:
DrMario wrote:

O no-no, I already know about all that don't worry, I hate head first slide, plus it's easier to get injured.

Anyways, my question was, do you think you would make one for a pitcher?

Yeah, once I get around to making a pitcher. I bought a used copy of the game a couple of weeks ago and have made only hitters so far. I'm also toying with the idea of making classic teams from the 80's and early 90's. I wouldn't be using Success Mode (just editing) so I'm not even sure why I'm postuing this here . . . anyhow here is my Montreal Expos roster:

Starting Lineup/Batting Order
DeShields Delino 2B
Grissom Marquis CF
Raines Tim LF
Walker Larry RF
Galarraga Andres 1B
Wallach Tim 3B
Brooks Hubie SS/RF
Fletcher Darrin C

Bench
Fitzgerald Mike C
Law Vance 2B/3B/1B
Cordero Wil SS
Webster Mitch CF/RF/LF
Alou Moises LF
Winningham Herm CF

Pitchers
Martinez Dennis SP
Rogers Steve SP
Hill Ken SP
Gullickson Bill SP
Smith Bryn SP
Reardon Jeff CL
Wetteland John CL
Burke Tim SU
Rojas Mel SU
Lucas Gary SU
McGaffigan Andy MR/SU
Fassero Jeff MR/LR

Extras
Gardner Mark SP
Nabholz Chris SP
Youmans Floyd SP
Barnes Brian MR
Hesketh Joe MR
Santovenia Nelson C
Francona Terry 1B/LF/RF
Barberie Bret 3B/2B/SS

I have the whole 26-team league on an excel spread, with base statistics for each player, attributes, special abilities, appearance, and scouting reports which include the arsenal for each pitcher. I wish the uniforms were more customizeable, or that they had unlockable alternate throwback uni's for the teams or something (i.e. powder blue Phillies, pinstriped Mets, etc). It all sounds cool, but customizing over 700 players would take waaaaay more time than I am willing to spare.