All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terry's Random Events
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:31 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
I did a search in the forum and in the wiki and couldn't find anything, so hopefully you guys can clear this up for me. I've seen three different Terry events but since most of them happen to me very late in the game (around May of year 2), I have no idea if they lead to anything.

The one I've seen the most is "Terry, all you do is practice". I've selected both options (river and lake) but afterwards nothing happens (or so it seems). Do they eventually go fishing?

The second most frequent event is "Terry, you are so powerful" (don't remember the exact text). I think that I got to do a strength practice with Terry once, but I don't really remember. Is memory serving me right or is my mind making this up?

The one I seldom see is the one about Terry's injury. I've seen Marvin spying on him and Terry collapsing during practice, but that's all. What happens afterwards?

Do any of these events have an ending?

Thanks!!!

"What the $#@& am I supposed to do, go out there and let my $#@& players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the $#@& nickel-dime people who turn up? The $#@& don't even work. That's why they're out at the $#@& game. They oughta go out and get a $#@& job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a $#@& living. 85 percent of the $#@& world is working. The other 15 percent come out here. A $#@& playground for the $#@&. Rip them $#@&. Rip them $#@& $#@& like the $#@& players."

Cubs Mngr Lee Elia, April 29, 1983

Post subject: Re: Terry's Random Events
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:44 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I'm almost positive the fishing one is just a single event.

The strength one does lead to you practicing with Terry, yes, but I don't believe anything happens afterwards.

The injury one, if I remember correctly, eventually leads to Terry considering retirement, which he eventually decides against. I don't think it gives any abilities or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you for clearing this up.

One last thing, I didn't write this one down last time because it's kind of a random event (you have to use a weekly command). I've seen Terry randomly appear with the crazy cow lady several times, but nowadays I just reload (I go there to gain stamina and a little money, not to gain stamina and spend a few dollars). Is this considered an event? Does Terry appear again later and actually give you something or is it just a waste of money?

Thanks!!!

"What the $#@& am I supposed to do, go out there and let my $#@& players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the $#@& nickel-dime people who turn up? The $#@& don't even work. That's why they're out at the $#@& game. They oughta go out and get a $#@& job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a $#@& living. 85 percent of the $#@& world is working. The other 15 percent come out here. A $#@& playground for the $#@&. Rip them $#@&. Rip them $#@& $#@& like the $#@& players."

Last edited by Sandy Koufax on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:26 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
You can work out with Terry multiple times. The most I've had is twice. With the steak, you learn that Terry was once scrawny and eating at the steakhouse he became powerful. That's the extent of that. Also, if you beat the legendary beef arc, a couple visits later you get power +14 or something to that effect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:39 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you detroittigers15 and AnthonyP, next time I see the practicing with Terry event I will definitely not reload the game (hard to say no to free experience, every point counts).

Unless, do you think the Terry events (injury and practicing) will diminish my chances of seeing Dr. Goodjob after Sittch leaves the team?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Twins
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Does anyone know if anything happens in the fishing one?
You have the option to choose a lake or a river.
Do you actually end up fishing with terry?
When I choose either one you don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Mariners
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Unlike the rest of the supporting cast, I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent Terry's REs.

River/Lake - I believe either choice gives you +1 energy. Basically worthless. It seems like you should be able to find him at the Lake or Mountains afterward . . . hmm.
Working out - If you are a pitcher, I think choosing the balance ball can give you a blue ability (on second thought, it might be the treadmill - STR Finisher maybe). Not sure about the other choices but they all provide a few exp pts. Choosing "start out easy" gives you something like +6 str pts, whereas choosing "I can do more" usually leads to negative results but can give you +8 str. When Terry finds you in the park, you can ask him about working out and the result is akin to a mini-Frank workout.
Steakhouse - power boost, pt total dependent upon how many of the three steaks you have tested prior.
Injury - when Frank gets hurt, sad music plays while you and Marvin run around like idiots. That's it as far as I know.
Autograph - mentality pts I think.
There might be one or two more I am missing.

Last edited by Eric Davis 44 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing Terry in the park and something about an autograph. The +1 Energy for the River/Lake event also sounds familiar, but since I reached year 2 with a full energy bar so now nothing happens (like you said, worthless). I hadn't played Success Mode in more than two years so my memory is kind of hazy.

Anyway, thank you all for the refresh course in Terry's Events.

ImageCheers!!!Image