Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting the Date of Birth right for a real-life player (Wii)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:12 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
So I've reviewed 78 success mode, Wii, created players to see if the DOB matches reality. 44 of them are my own work (meaning 34 are by other board members). Here's the breakdown:

78 total: 31 incorrect DOB years (60% right). Many of these were off by several years: i think a lot of users created the player as of their age in 2012, 2013, or 2014. Sometimes it was their first guy, no biggie.
44 mine: 13 incorrect DOB years (70% right). 9 of the 13 were born before 4/1. Only ONE had a birthdate earlier than 4/1 and was correct (Landon Powell). NONE had a birthdate earlier than 3/19 in the year.
34 not mine: 17 incorrect DOB years (50% right). Out of the 17 correct, only four had birthdays earlier in the year than 4/1.

Since season mode is constricted to 10 years anyway, most of these issues aren't a big deal. A year off by one doesn't ruin the player - they will still age around the right rate. But how do we get the player's DOB year correct on future creations?

I had always assumed that the goal was to make the player's age correct as of the start of the 2008 season (so like 3/29/2008). But I don't know the actual formula MLBPP is using behind the scenes. Some guys, you put in their month/day, you put in their age, and then MLBPP adds an extra year you weren't anticipating. Why you can't just enter the year, I'll never know! The important thing is that MLBPP does that calculation RIGHT THEN, and it's permanent.

Robhallett has suggested using a player's 2007 age when creating them in success mode 2008. For players born after 4/1, of course, this makes sense, because their 2007 birthday has taken place and they are that age as of the start of the 2008 season.

For players born before 4/1, however, this is more questionable. For instance, if a players date of birth is 1/16/1988, do you make them their jan 15th 2007 age (19), or their jan 16th 2007-Jan 15th 2008 age (20)?

I think the year 'flip' happens somewhere between 3/1 and 4/5. Dishnet suggested doing an experiment with an emulator; I don't have a Wii emulator or the ROM, but I will look into that on my android tablet. If anyone can recommend one, I would appreciate it!

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post subject: Re: Getting the Date of Birth right for a real-life player (
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Updates after finishing all the players in my Wii:

Mine: 14 wrong out of 50 created players (72% success rate)
Others: 35 wrong out of 72 created players (51% success rate)
Total: 49 wrong out of 122 players (60% success rate)

I think the most exciting finding I have is that I got Mike Aviles wrong (dob 3/31) but got Daniel Murphy right (4/1). Since I made both within a few weeks of each other, we could assume I took the same approach with each...and maybe 4/1 is indeed the cutoff where MLBPP decides the current year/age calculation takes place.

Older/dead logs:
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post subject: Re: Getting the Date of Birth right for a real-life player (
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:58 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

After puzzling over this for a while, the issue may entirely be my own doing. For the players with DOB before 4/1, I may have been assuming that their 2008 birthday already passed in game time, and thus ADDING the extra year (so a 1/12 birthday would result in me ADDING one to their 2007 age).

So maybe Rob is correct, and all you do is put their age as of their 2007 birthday. Maybe the game uses 1/1/2008 to figure out their age, and I've just been overthinking it! That would make sense with what dishnet did with Trumbo, which worked.

Since player DOBs are fixed once they are created, EVERY PLAYER we make has to be made with the age as of their 2007 birthday (unless for some reason you wanted them to enter the game in 2008 as another age, say what they are today).

Older/dead logs: