Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Albuquerque Roadrunners @ Oakland Athletics 4/9

Bullpen implodes again, coughs up another late lead

Oakland- In the first three games of this four game series with the A’s, Albuquerque has held a late lead and have been poised to win all those games. But, for the third time in as many games, the bullpen had a meal down and threw away a late 3-1 lead and wasted a stellar start from Abbey Baker.

“What do you mean ‘What do I make of it?’ The bullpen needs to start pitching better. End of story. I know that and so do they.” Billy Radowski said roughly after the game when he thought of his relievers recent struggles.
The Roadrunners did get on the board first in the third inning as they played a bit of small ball. Dave Kester bunted David Newhan over to second after he singled and Nick Dirosa, making his first start of the year, singled him home. Oakland threatened in the bottom of the inning with a runner on second and one out. But Baker got tough striking out Chris Denorfia and getting Eric Chavez to ground out to end the inning.

David Newhan would add to his good offensive night in the fourth by singling home Duke McGlinchey. The only blemish on Baker came in the bottom of the inning when Frank Thomas hit an opposite field solo homerun.
Joe Bannon added a sac fly RBI in the sixth as Baker worked out of trouble in the bottom of the inning. With Chavez on second and none out, Baker fanned Thomas and Emil Brown before ending the inning on a soft fly to center.
Bakers night ended with one out in the seventh and the bullpen looked strong, ending the inning and getting through the eighth unscathed.
But it all unraveled in the ninth. With one out and Mike Sweeney and Travis Buck singled. Kurt Suzuki then hit a high chopper to third and, by the time it came down, Duke McGlinchy had no play. Mark Ellis then laced a 2 RBI single to center to tie the game. Albuquerque almost sent it to extras, but failed to turn a double play, when Chris Denorfia hit a grounder to short, but Dave Kester’s relay throw wasn’t in time to first, allowing Suzuki to score from third.

Box Score
ALB:3
Athletics:4
-------------------------------
WP: Embree (1-1)
LP: Colangelo (0-1)
SV: Pitcher (#)
HR: Thomas (4)
Roadrunners: Newhan 2-4, RBI, R; Baker 6.2IP, 8H, 7K, 1ER
Athletics: Ellis 3-5; Embree 3.1 IP, 1H, 1K, 0R

Next 10 Games
@ A's (1), Vs. Rangers (3), VS. Blue Jays (3), @ Rangers (3)

Planned Game logs 4/6 - 4/20
4/11: Vs. Rangers (Andrews)
4/17 Vs. Blue Jays (Lawson)
4/23 At. Rangers (Mattison/ Wei)
4/25 Vs. Yankees (Garlisi)

Post subject: Re: Albuquerque Roadrunners
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:00 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Texas Rangers Vs. Albuquerque Roadrunners 4/11

Homeruns, Andrews Help Albuquerque to win

Albuquerque- The Roadrunners were happy to be home after going 3-4 on their recent road trip as they took the opening game against the Texas Rangers behind three homeruns and a stellar pitching performance from Evan Andrews.

“It’s was the most complete game we’ve played all year.” Said Jason Piersol, who hit his first homerun of the season, after the game. “Evan did a great job holding those guys down and we were able to score some runs to help make that effort stand up.”

It sure didn’t hurt that Rangers starter Sidney Ponson came into the game with a ridiculous 32 ERA, and Albuquerque jumped on him right away in the first. Kyle Garret singled ahead of Piersol, who hit an opposite field, two run homerun.

Texas got a run back in the third. Gerald Laird and Ben Broussard had back to back singles before Andrews fanned Kinsler. Sean McMillan then allowed a passed ball that allowed the runners to move up ahead of a Michael Young RBI sac fly. Albuquerque got the run back in the bottom of the inning when Mike Bruner doubled home Cody Zeller from second.

Sean McMillan allowed another passed ball, something he’s struggled with so far this year, allowing Milton Bradley and Frank Catlanato to move into scoring position. Andrews then got Marlyon Byrd to ground to second and Dave Kester, charging, threw Bradley out at the plate, before Gerald Lair grounded out to end the Texas threat.

Duke McGlinchey added his first home of the season in the sixth and, with two out, Kester and McMillan singled. Both Cody Zeller and Kyle Garrett followed with RBI singles.

Mike Bruner added a solo homerun in the seventh and Joe Bannon walked behind him. With the hit and run on, McGlinchey blasted a double to left center, allowing Bruner to score.

Alburuquerque now stands at 6-4, 2 games behind Angels in the AL West.

Box Score
TEX:2
ALB:8
-----------------------------
WP: Andrews (1-0)
LP: Ponson (0-2)
SV: Pitcher (#)
HR: Piersol (1), Bruner (3), McGlinchey (1)
Rangers: Catalanato 2-4, R; Broussard 2-3, 3B, RBI
Roadrunners: Andrews 8IP, 6H, 8K, 2R, 1ER; McGlinchey 3-4, 2B, HR, 2RBI, R

Next 10 Games
Vs. Rangers (2), VS. Blue Jays (3), @ Rangers (3), Vs Rangers (4)

Planned Game logs 4/6 - 4/20
4/17 Vs. Blue Jays (Lawson)
4/23 At. Rangers (Mattison/ Wei)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:24 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

2oo8 Season
It’s just, a little crush…

Sal, Jason, Abbey and Dave Kester were all sitting around a table in the courtyard of a fancy hotel in Albuquerque. It was early morning on the team’s first day off of the season and they quartet had gotten together early for breakfast. They had their phones out and were all looking at their screens, except David who had his laptop, while they were waiting for their breakfast to arrive. It’s not that they were trying to ant-social with each other, on the contrary, they were all pulling their efforts to try and find a more permanent place to live.

Since the start of the season Sal, Jason, Abbey, Dave and a few others, had been living in the hotel since they had not been able to find a place to live. They had all agreed to get up early on their first off day and try to apartment hunt.

“Man, I don’t know about this apartment thing. If I’m going to be here long term, I may just buy a house.” Sal said as he continued to pour over the classifieds.

“You know, that’s not a bad idea.” Abbey replied looking at her phone. “I spent five years renting in Chicago, it would be nice to have my own place.”

“Speak for yourselves guys.” Dave replied as he kept his eyes on his computer. “They can cut, release or trade me at any time… ooo, here’s a good one. Rent is good and it has a pool and a gym.” He finished as he wrote the information of the complex down on his small notepad.

“They can do that to any of us.” Jason replied as he kept flicking his eyes distractedly between his phone and looking across the courtyard.

“They’re building this team around you three though. I doubt they would get rid of you guys.” David replied glancing up briefly.

“Hey, here we go. Four beds, four baths, three thousand square feet. It’s on the outskirts of the city.” Sal said and turned his phone towards Abbey. “What do you think?”

“It’s nice. And it looks like you have a couple acres of land as well.” Abbey replied as she glanced up.

“I think I may have to call the listing agent and go have a look at this place.” Sal said as he showed Jason the pictures. “What do you think, Jason? This would make a sweet bachelor pad to have barbecues and stuff.”

Jason was distracted again as he was looking across the courtyard and jumped when Sal spoke to him. His eyes were wide open for a few seconds while he shook his head. “Huh? What? Yeah it’s great, Sal.” He said as he quickly looked at the pictures then glanced down the courtyard again before looking at his phone.

“What are you looking at?” Sal asked curiously.

“What? Nothing?” Jason replied, but glanced up again before looking at his phone.

Sal looked skeptical and glanced in the direction Jason was looking and smiled broadly when he spotted what it was Jason was looking at. “Ah, I see now. You were looking at that table where those three girls are sitting. So, which one were you checking out?”

“I wasn’t looking at anyone.” Jason said unconvincingly as Abbey and Dave also looked up.

“Come on man, don’t BS me.” Sal said with an offended look.

Jason sighed and Abbey though his cheeks were starting to flush. “The one with the dark hair on the right.” Jason said as his eyes continued to shift.

“She’s cute. Go talk to her.” Dave said as he looked back over quickly.

Jason swallowed and looked nervous. “I don’t know.”

“Come on, what’s the worst that could happen? She says no and you’ll never see her again. Getting turned down is all part of the game.” Sal offered.

Jason was still looking nervous and was wringing his hands. “I’m just not… I get nervous and stuff around girls. I’m just not good…” He tailed off as he searched for his words.

Dave laughed and jumped to a conclusion of his own and made a disparaging remark under his breath with a smile. The comment caused Sal to Laugh and Abbey rolled her eyes impatiently and looked annoyed.

“That’s not true!” Jason shot defensively and Dave looked unconvinced. “I mean, I’ve kissed girls and have gotten to second base before.”

“Bro. You know that doesn’t count, right?” Sal inquired rhetorically as he was still laughing and shaking his head.

“Ugh, you’re both pigs.” Abbey said disgustedly before turning to Jason. “Just go say hi and introduce yourself. Ask if they don’t mind if you sit with them, start a conversation.” She finished but Jason still looked unsure.

“Bro, your major league shortstop. This shouldn’t be so difficult.” Sal said when Jason hesitated.

“Look. If you want I’ll even walk over there with you and help you get your foot in the door.” Abbey said when Jason refused to budge.

“You wouldn’t mind?” Jason asked and Abbey got up and motioned for Jason to follow. Jason got up and followed Abbey as they walked across the courtyard.

“This should be interesting.” Sal said sounding amused as he and David watched as Abbey and Jason approached the girls.

It looked like Abbey made a quick introduction and there was a brief exchange between Jason and the girl he had pointed out. In short order, Jason had sat down at their table and Abbey made her way back to Sal and David.

“Well I’m impressed.” Sal said when Abbey returned.

“It’s because you’re a simpleton that doesn’t understand women.” Abbey said sarcastically with a smile and Dave laughed. Sal didn’t bite at Abbey’s barb but returned her smile and raised his orange juice in salute.

A short time their later, their breakfast arrived and Abbey diverted the waiter to the table Jason was sitting at to deliver his bacon and eggs. Sal, Jason and Abbey continued their hunt for more permanent living quarters as they ate their breakfast and the subject moved onto their upcoming series against Toronto.

Once they finished their breakfast, Jason finally reappeared, a solid half an hour after he had left, and was smiling.

“We almost forgot you were still here. How did it go, ace?” Sal asked as Jason sat down.

“Well we talked, and I got her number. We’re going to get together for lunch sometime.” Jason said still grinning.

“No kidding.” Dave said disbelievingly.

“Her name is Jackie and she’s actually a gymnast.” Jason said as he offered up some details. “She’s on the national team and those were two of her teammates. They’re here for a couple weeks getting ready for Olympic qualifying.”

Sal smiled wickedly and raised his eyebrows. “Gymnasts are flexible.” He said and Dave laughed and Abbey looked annoyed again.

“So. What’s your point?” Jason asked innocently.

Abbey cut in before Sal or Dave could say anything raunchy again before paying her part of the bill and saying she was going to look at an apartment.

“Which one?” Dave asked curiously as he paid his part of the check and Abbey told him where it was. “That’s where I was looking. Hey, we could be roommates.”

“Yeah, that’s not going to happen.” Abbey replied as she said goodbye and Dave tagged along with her to look at his own apartment.

“That just leaves me and you.” Sal said as he and Jason squared the rest of the check. “Want to come look at this house with me?”

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:28 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

4/13: The Roadrunners have recalled P Hank Erdos and Andy Ashby from AA Enid and have reassigned P Greg Camillo and P Vance Mattison after making a spot start

4/15: Otis Sequea from AA Enid. To make room on the roster, strugeling pitcher Boris Trezniak has been reassigned.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:06 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Blue Jays VS. Roadrunners 4/17

Big Hits Stay Illusive For ‘Runners
Albuquerque- About a week ago, it looked as though the Roadrunners offense had started figuring things out. They scored nine runs in a series finale then scored eight the next night against the Rangers. But, despite a five game winning streak that ended two nights ago, the Albuquerque offence has gone quite cold. Which is an odd thing to say, considering the Roadrunners are hitting .333 as a team, the best in the majors.

“Getting hits and getting men on base hasn’t been our problem. Our problem has been getting the big hits with runners on base and, more importantly, with runners in scoring position.” Manager Billy Radowski said last night after his team scored just one run for the second consecutive night.

In fact, since the run of scoring seventeen runs over two games last week, Albuquerque has failed to score three runs or more in every game since, averaging a paltry 1.8 runs per game.

Look no further than the fifth inning of tonight’s game and you’ll get a sense of what the skipper thinks of his offense. With the Roadrunners down just two and Duke McGlichey opening the inning with a base hit, Radowski opted to have David Newhan sacrifice McGlinchey over, looking for one run versus a big inning. Dave Kester promptly grounded out and Sean McMillan lined out to end the inning quietly.

Lost in the stench of the offence was the brilliance of, not only last night’s starter Evan Andrews, but the starting pitching as a whole during the series. Andrews, Sal Garlisi, and Abbey Baker all pitched seven innings in their respective start and powered their way to a combined 1.71ERA for the series. Surprisingly the Roadrunners lead all of Major League Baseball with a staff ERA of 2.62. If they keep pitching like that they could surprise and contend for a playoff spot.

That is if someone can clean off the pungent aroma coming from the Albuquerque batter's box.

Box Score
TOR:2
ALB:1
-----------------------------
WP: Litsch (1-0)
LP: Andrews (1-1)
HR: Newhan (1)
Blue Jays: Litsch CG, 9H, 1ER, 0K; Zaun 2-4, R
Roadrunners: Andrews 7IP, 8H, 5K, 2ER; Kester 1-3, 2B

Planned Game Logs
4/23 VS. Rangers (Mattison/ Wei)
5/1At Rangers (Baker)

AL West: Angels, Roadrunners 9-6 (-3), Mariners (-4), Athletics (-6), Rangers (-7)

Next 10 Games
@ Rangers (3), VS Rangers (4), Vs Yankees (3)