Post subject: miscellaneous questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
A few questions that i'm hoping to get answers to:

Don't know if my system has a bug in it or not, but a player I picked up my 1st season as a free agent is Angel Chavez. Anyway, whenever the game announcer announces him at the plate, he calls him Mario Alvarez, but then when he reports on how he did in his at bat, he calls him Chavez. For example, when coming to bat, the screen always lists him as AChavez. The announcer will say "now up at bat, Mario Alvarez" or "Alvarez already has 1 base hit today.". When the at bat is over, the announcer will say something like "and Chavez pops out to the second baseman" or "Chavez gets a base hit". I noticed it before when I was playing season mode a different time and was playing against this guy. Does this happen with your system? Any idea why?

When you sim a game and it says "player improved," is there an easy way to tell which player improved? I know if you actually play the game, there's a screen you can pull up after that lists the players who improved, but I can't get this screen when I sim games. It's annoying to have to scroll through the practice screen to try and figure it out, or the experience screens to see what bar is down to 0

There's a young player on the white sox that's really good - I try to trade for him if I can. He's called "Great Hart" in this game - has a lot of power, a strong arm, and plays LF & 3b. Anyone know what real life player he's based on?

Is there anyone out there who uses normal batting (ie, doesn't have the computer help out with hitting) and also does NOT have the computer pitcher show the pitch type and location? I can't imagine how I would ever make contact if I didn't know the pitch type before the ball left the pitchers hand.

How do you defend against a surprise bunt? I know of the shifts to use when expecting a bunt, but I can't seem to defend a surprise bunt no matter what I try. My catcher can't catch up to the ball, my 3b seems to insist on covering 3b even if no one is on base yet, and by the time my pitcher finishes his follow through and retrieves the ball, it's too late.

How do you defend a "hi hop" to the 3b or ss? Even if a guy has d speed, it seems that by the time the ball comes down, the runner is standing on 1st. I've tried running under the ball and then jumping to get it, but it's tough to time it right, and for every ball I jump up and catch, there will be 2 I miss, and some,times the guy will wind up on 2nd.

Speaking of shifts, here's how I generally use them - please give feedback:
1. Outfield back: I use this of the guy has a power of A, of the guy is fast (c or more) with power of b or a, to reduce extra base hits
2. Inf back: I use this if I have a 3b and ss with decent arms and the batter has power of a or b and speed of d or lower. I give up a lot of base hits down the middle in this position, so sometimes I forget altogether. I'll also use this with a guy on 2b if I'm willing to give up an infield hit in the hopes of keeping that runner at 2nd
3. OF in: I use this if a base hit would win the game, or if the batter has low speed and power (under d)
4. Inf in: I'll use this if there's a runner on 3rd, less than 2 out, and the batter has power less than d

When setting your rotation, and listing your middles relievers, does the order of the middle reliever matter? Assuming they all have the same health status or mood, will the 1st middle reliever always be used 1st, the 2nd one be used 2nd, etc? Are they chosen randomly?

Once i get to the point where im drafting last, ive taken to skipping my 2nd pick. I then just go right to the "free agent" list. It seems much easier to pick my players as free agents when you can see there stats than to waste time trying t make a good draft pick. Anyone have a reason i shouldnt do it this way?

Thanks for any and all responses

Post subject: Re: miscellaneous questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:12 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
1. It happens with everyone's system. I guess it's just how the game was programmed.

2. Unless you have psychic powers to remember what everyone's stats were before the upgrade, then yes. Otherwise, no.

3. From other topics in this forum (I know there is one that has to do with finding real-life counterparts of Greats), it is Josh Fields.

4. Not sure.

5. You hope and pray...or use auto-defense and see if it works.

6. See #5.

7. I can't critique that, someone else can.

8. I think it's the order they're put in. Not sure, though.

9. I think their descriptions in-draft tell you how good of a player they are. For example, the best people usually have a description, such as "In High School, an MVP" or "Hits many home runs". Looking at the little stat point thingy off o the right, you can judge how good a player is. The closer to the outside of the hexagon points, the higher the stat.

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:14 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I never use shifts.

I didn't know it used relievers in order, that's why one of my worst middle relievers always gets pitched in simulations.

Seems like dish answered everything pretty well.

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:06 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
ERISA Dude wrote:
A few questions that i'm hoping to get answers to:

Don't know if my system has a bug in it or not, but a player I picked up my 1st season as a free agent is Angel Chavez. Anyway, whenever the game announcer announces him at the plate, he calls him Mario Alvarez, but then when he reports on how he did in his at bat, he calls him Chavez. For example, when coming to bat, the screen always lists him as AChavez. The announcer will say "now up at bat, Mario Alvarez" or "Alvarez already has 1 base hit today.". When the at bat is over, the announcer will say something like "and Chavez pops out to the second baseman" or "Chavez gets a base hit". I noticed it before when I was playing season mode a different time and was playing against this guy. Does this happen with your system? Any idea why?

When you sim a game and it says "player improved," is there an easy way to tell which player improved? I know if you actually play the game, there's a screen you can pull up after that lists the players who improved, but I can't get this screen when I sim games. It's annoying to have to scroll through the practice screen to try and figure it out, or the experience screens to see what bar is down to 0

There's a young player on the white sox that's really good - I try to trade for him if I can. He's called "Great Hart" in this game - has a lot of power, a strong arm, and plays LF & 3b. Anyone know what real life player he's based on?

Is there anyone out there who uses normal batting (ie, doesn't have the computer help out with hitting) and also does NOT have the computer pitcher show the pitch type and location? I can't imagine how I would ever make contact if I didn't know the pitch type before the ball left the pitchers hand.

How do you defend against a surprise bunt? I know of the shifts to use when expecting a bunt, but I can't seem to defend a surprise bunt no matter what I try. My catcher can't catch up to the ball, my 3b seems to insist on covering 3b even if no one is on base yet, and by the time my pitcher finishes his follow through and retrieves the ball, it's too late.

How do you defend a "high hop" to the 3b or ss? Even if a guy has d speed, it seems that by the time the ball comes down, the runner is standing on 1st. I've tried running under the ball and then jumping to get it, but it's tough to time it right, and for every ball I jump up and catch, there will be 2 I miss, and some,times the guy will wind up on 2nd.

Speaking of shifts, here's how I generally use them - please give feedback:
1. Outfield back: I use this of the guy has a power of A, of the guy is fast (c or more) with power of b or a, to reduce extra base hits
2. Inf back: I use this if I have a 3b and ss with decent arms and the batter has power of a or b and speed of d or lower. I give up a lot of base hits down the middle in this position, so sometimes I forget altogether. I'll also use this with a guy on 2b if I'm willing to give up an infield hit in the hopes of keeping that runner at 2nd
3. OF in: I use this if a base hit would win the game, or if the batter has low speed and power (under d)
4. Inf in: I'll use this if there's a runner on 3rd, less than 2 out, and the batter has power less than d

When setting your rotation, and listing your middles relievers, does the order of the middle reliever matter? Assuming they all have the same health status or mood, will the 1st middle reliever always be used 1st, the 2nd one be used 2nd, etc? Are they chosen randomly?

Once i get to the point where im drafting last, ive taken to skipping my 2nd pick. I then just go right to the "free agent" list. It seems much easier to pick my players as free agents when you can see there stats than to waste time trying t make a good draft pick. Anyone have a reason i shouldnt do it this way?

Thanks for any and all responses

1. Yup, and I was wondering if I was the only one who had this happen. It's strange.

2. Not sure.

3. It's Josh Fields, I'm pretty sure.

4. Yeah, I do.

5. I haven't had this happen to me that often as far as I know.

6. It's pretty tough, and some of those things have happened to me.

7. Sounds about right to me.

8. I've wondered this, and since I don't check the stats too often, I'm not completely sure, but I don't think it makes a difference.

9. You might as well pick up the 2nd rounder since there is usually a half-way decent pitcher still there. And even if it isn't that great of a player you could a. cut him and not lose too much money, b. try and use him as trade bait, or c. keep him and develop him in AAA in case of injury. And plus, those same undrafted guys will likely still be there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Phillies fan, I am quite impressed you're able to make contact with any pitch without knowing what it is. What's your trick?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
I use it on Normal without knowing the pitch as well, and I just do the same thing the AI does. Guess pitches. Example, if I feel like a change-up is coming, I start the contact zone a little below the pitch locator. If it's not a change-up, try to adjust and hit a single, if it is a change-up, that's when you get the doubles, triples and home runs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:19 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
I don't try to guess what pitch is coming, I just read the spin of the ball once the pitcher throws it.

I don't use the thing that tells you what pitch is coming. I have the lock-on at the default though. Never tried without, I may have to.

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:53 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Console '08: Wii and DS
Same for me as D-tigers.
Welcome back Philliesfan! We should also welcome back Andy Reid, who will return next year. Boo!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:21 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Paul McCartney15 wrote:
Same for me as D-tigers.
Welcome back Philliesfan! We should also welcome back Andy Reid, who will return next year. Boo!

Thanks Paul. :D

And yes, BOO. :evil:
I want Jon Gruden.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:23 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

ERISA Dude wrote:
Phillies fan, I am quite impressed you're able to make contact with any pitch without knowing what it is. What's your trick?

Can't say I have a trick really.
Just go for it and hope it's a pitch I can hit. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

For the 1st time I had a player just show up as injured without having been injured during a game. Nothing happened in the prior game at all - I just noticed that he was not listed in my starting lineup, and saw he'd been moved to my bench in green condition.

Has this ever happened to you?

Also, I think I'm noticing some players (Adrien Beltre is one) who go for the power swing if I play my normal outfield, but switch to regular batting mode if I move my OF back (which I normally do with no one on against players with B power). Anyone else notice this?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

You know how after a game, a pitcher's pitches, stamina, & speed will increase or decrease based on performance? I have a hunch it is based exclusively on the last pitch of an at bat. Here's why I think that:

1. To build up a pitcher's weakest pitch, I decided to throw it for the 1st pitch of most at bats. I knew the computer usually does not swing at 1st pitches so I thought it'd be an easy way to improve. However, after the game, that pitch neither improved nor worsened.

2. With one of my pitchers, he was having a great game and I was using all my pitches, but used the palm ball exclusively with 2 strikes. Only the palm ball improved.

Have any of you noticed anything similar?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:15 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Wii and PS2
I'm gonna be honest, I don't think anybody goes as in-depth with everything as you do. I would never notice it because I don't care to study all the nitty gritty details. I just play the games and go with what happens

Are you saying it's wrong to talk to a bag of Skittles? Because if so, I'm going to need to rethink a lot of things. :P
BrewersFuzz wrote:
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
What do twelve year olds do with girlfriends?
Give them ringpops and let them cut up to their spot in line during lunch.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 2017 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS mutha *(censored)*!
Dishnetkid is a heretic who must be burned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Ummm....ok. Honest is fine, but a helpful answer is better

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:11 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
I never noticed either of those before, but I don't think I've ever gotten past a week or two in Season mode before.

yeah that log's dead too- i mean on hiatus (yes that one too) (seriously all of them now lol) (haha unless...?)

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

Second Member of the 10,000 Post Cult