Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Season Log: Jacksonville Pelicans
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:47 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Jacksonville- The sale of the expansion Jacksonville Pelicans was completed today as the franchise sold to Corbin Flagler, who's family played a big part in the history of Florida. The Pelicans join the Las Vegas Outlaws as new expansion teams that will begin play this season; the Outlaws in Panpaka park and the Pelicans in Jacksonville Beach Stadium.
To keep both expansion teams out of the American league, the San Diego Padres will be moving from the NL West to the AL west. The Outlaws will replace the Padres and the Pelicans will play out of the AL central.
Wasting little time Mr. Flagler has also hired a new coach and GM, an unknown of sorts, Scott0530 will assume the role of both and GM. Assuming both roles in baseball is unheard of these days but Flagler seemed confident his new GM/ coach can handle the load.

Franchise Information

Team Name: Pelicans
Stadium: Jacksonville Beach Stadium (Rainbow Beach)
League and Division: American League Central
Minor League Team(S): St. Augustine Haunt (AAA)
Inaugural Season: 2008
Division Titles: 0
League Championships: 0
World Series Titles: 0

Post subject: Re: Season Log: Jacksonville Pelicans
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

I'm going to try and run this team like you would actually go through a season. I plan on posting a daily lineup around 5PM, playing a game a night and posting a post game wrap and mini box score the next morning. Off days there will be no posting, it will be just like a day off. Hoping to start tomorrow, depending on how quick I get through evaluating my roster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Don't Own
Sounds good. You've been a board member since 2008? Funny, I don't think I've seen one of your posts before

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:10 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
This looks nice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

ERISA Dude wrote:
Sounds good. You've been a board member since 2008? Funny, I don't think I've seen one of your posts before

I have a season log going for 2007 that I mainly post in. But I do read most of the season logs oter people have going, I just don't post a lot under them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:35 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Jacksonville Pelicans roster evaluation for the 2008 season
Jacksonville- The Pelicans are just a few days away from starting their inaugural season, and with their roster all set and ready to go, new GM and coach Scott0530 sat down with the media to discuss the Pelicans roster.
Q: Since this is an expansion team your bound to have several weaknesses. What are the biggest issues you have with your roster?
A: I think our biggest issue is a severe lack of team speed. Throughout our entire big league and minor league roster only one player graded out over the spring with D level speed. You expect to have some fielding and power deficiencies with a young team, but to have such a lack of speed really caught me by surprise.
Q: Is the team looking to just exclusively improve overall speed ?
A: No, not now. For now we are just trying to improve our outfield speed, which is really bad, to start and go from there.
Q: You mentioned power deficiencies; I'm assuming that is a big part of why you signed Dan Johnson?
A: Absolutely. Dan gives us a legitimate, middle of the order power threat.
Q: You have mentioned previously about building from within and not wanting to get to involved in free agency right away, doesn't that contradict a bit of what you are trying to do?
A: No. Dan is coming into his prime now and he has a reasonable contract for the next four years. I would have liked to have given someone on our roster a shot first, but that position for us right now, no one is major league ready yet; maybe in the next three years or so.
Q: What do you consider your teams greatest strength?
A: I think we have two. Some may not look at this as a strength but, I believe our youth is a huge asset. The average age of our roster is 21 1/2 which gives us a huge advantage to be able to really mold our roster and players to fit exactly what we are looking for as a franchise. The opportunity to build a winner from with-in is what you want to do in any sports league. Second is defiantly our pitching. Our starting staff right now has ton of potential. Granted, some of these guys have not pitched a lot of innings, and maybe limited innings wise, but we are going to have 2-3 potential #1 starters in our rotation in the next few years.
Q: Who is a player we should be watching this year outside of Johnson?
A: Eric Cressend is going to be a really good player. He is only 18, plays good defense right now and graded out with C level power. He's going to be a superstar one day and would be my ROY favorite for this year hands down.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Nice. Was Dan Johnson your only FA? I almost always sign Chavez - E offense and a B arm for 3b, and I think Great White is a nice pick - he plays 2b and LF. I also sign pitchers James and Morris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Yeah I saw some of those guys, but I'm really looking forward to developing this roster with mostly the players I have. Plus a 3B wouldn't work for me since my best player is a 3B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:42 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Pelicans roster preview: Projected lineup
(B/T/Age/Trajectory/Connect/Power/Run Speed/Arm/Fielding/E-Resist)

2B- Kirk Orie (R/R/21/2/E7/E88/D8/D8/C10/E6)- One of the better contact hitters, and currently the fastest player on the Pelicans roster. "So he pretty much leads off by default," said GM/coach Scott0530. While Orie graded out as a decent fielder, there may still be some growing pains defensively. "I wouldn't call him error prone, just inexperienced."

LF- Dustin Huffman (L/L/22/E7/E88/E6/E6/E7/E7)- The Pelicans are hoping that, by hitting second, Huffman can take advantage of some potential holes on the right side of the infield if there is a runner on first to get some hits and move the runner up.

3B- Eric Cressend (S/R/18/2/E6/C136/F4/D8/E6/D9)- The Pelicans view Cressed as a future superstar. At just 18, Cressed has show the ability to drive the ball and play good defense. "His range is a little limited in the field right now and he needs to work on his bat control a bit. Beyond that, he is definitely going to be a top tier player."

1B- Dan Johnson (L/R/28/3/E7/B145/F5/D9/D8/B12)- Dan Johnson brings much needed power to this young lineup and the Pelicans will rely heavily on his bat this season. Defensively, Johnson is very solid at first base and rarely makes any mistakes. He will provide a stable force for young infield.

C- Al Budzinski (R/R/21/2/E7/E94/E6/D8/D8/D8)- It was a close competition this spring between Budzinski and backup catcher Mike Sedlacek. Budzinski and Sedlacek graded out this spring with comparable stats but Budzinski won the job, according to Scott0530 "On the account he is younger, and we want to build up our youth."

DH- Hal Darula (S/R/24/2/F5/D111/F4/E6/F5/D8)- Darula is a third baseman by trade and would probably start if not for the emergence of Cressend. With so little power in the Pelican lineup, Darula, whom graded out with a D, seemed a perfect choice to serve as the regular DH.

CF- Victor Senreiso (R/L/20/2/F5/F79/E6/E6/E7/E7)- "If this was not an expansion team, Victor would be in AAA," said Pelican GM Scott0530. "With that being said, Victor is only 20 and we feel he can be effective."

SS- Don Henson (R/R/20/2/F5/F77/E6/E7/D8/E6)- The Pelicans believe that Henson can be a lock down SS in the next couple years and could possibly develop into a #2 hitter.

RF- Jason Cerros (R/R/21/2/F4/F64/E7/E7/E6/E6)- "Jason is in the same boat as Victor," said Scott0530, "He really should be in AAA. But we don't have that luxury so, he is going to have to learn at this level."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting – I've only done two expansion teams. In my first, a good number of players had 2 Ds In their rankings; my second team (the Country) Was like yours – I thought it was just a bad draw, but maybe what really happened is I got lucky with my first expansion team. Since you say you are looking forward to developing your players, does that mean you're not going to be making trades?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:12 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

If a young good player comes through at a resonable cost I would trade or sign. Just trying to avoid costly vets right now; unless thier contract was expring. I'd rather spend the points on training equipment.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:14 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Pelicans roster preview: Starting rotation
(Age/Throws/MPH/Control/Stamina/Brk'ball

Adam Crabtree (20/L/94/E113/C101/CUT3/CB1/FRK2)- The Pelicans believe they have a future #1 starter in Crabtree who already throws 94 and three different breaking pitches. "Adam is a few years away from being dominant. But we feel, when he does get there, he's going to be a top starter in the game."

Joe Wesson (20/L/93/D122/C102/SLD3/CB3)- Wesson is another left handed starter the Pelicans believe could be a #1 starter." Once Joe gets stretched out and learns a third pitch, watch out"

Norton Truby (22/R/88/D129/C107/FRK3/SLV3/CB1/SLD1)- Truby is the only right hander in the Pelicans rotation, but the team sees no less value in his potential. "Like the rest of our staff, Norton needs to work on his stamina, and could use to add a few MPH to his fastball. Once he does, we feel he can be a great pitcher."

Sam Daigle (23/L/91/E112/C96/CUT3/KN2/SLD1)- Diagle is an interesting prospect for the Pelicans given that he throws over 90MPH and also has a knuckleball in his repertoire. "I think once we get Sam's stamina up to par, and have him work on his knuckleball, he can be extremely effective. His control is a little suspect but, with a knuckleballer, that is not necessarily a bad thing."

Rudy Tollberg (23/L/87/D127/C107/SLD3/CB2/2SF1)- The Pelicans view Tollberg in the same light as Norton Truby. They feel he can be a be a very effective pitcher, as long as he is able to increase his stamina and add a few MPH to his fastball.

Zane Bouknight (18/L/91/E119/C87/SLD3/SNK2/FRK1)- Bouknight is someone the Pelicans really like. At just 18, Bouknight already throws 90+, and throws three different types of breaking pitches. "Zane will serve as a long reliever or spot starter if we need a sixth man to start. He just has a great baseball name."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:51 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Your rotation looks pretty good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:16 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Pelicans roster preview: Bench
(B/T/Age/Trajectory/Connect/Power/Run Speed/Arm/Fielding/E-Resist)

1B- David Oropesa (L/R/21/3/G3/D117/F4/F5/F5/E7)- Oropesa is the best defensive option to backup Johnson and the Pelicans are hoping Oropesa can turn into a power hitter. He will also see some time at DH against some righties.

SS- Lou Hong (L/R/2/F4/F79/E7/E6/E7/F5)- Not much of an offensive threat off the bench, the Pelicans are hoping Hong can turn into a solid fielder.

C- Mike Sedlacek (S/R/23/2/D8/E86/E6/C10/D8/E7)- With so many catchers either on the roster or in AAA, there is chatter Sedlacek could be dealt.

LF- Kevin McLeary (L/L/22/2/F4/F72/E7/E6/D8/F4)- "Kevin is our best defensive option as a 4th outfielder."

Pelicans roster preview: Bullpen
(Age/Throws/MPH/Control/Stamina/Brk'ball)

Ed Norton (21/R/89/E113/C94/SNK2/CB1/FRK1)- Norton will start in the pen and could possibly spot start this year.

Pierre French (23/L/88/C141/C91/CB1/SLD1)- French will spend most of this season as a left handed specilist.

Benjamin Totten (18/R/89/D120/C87/CB2/SLD2)- A British import, Totten will pitch mostly as a 6th or 7th inning reliever.

Juan Estrella (23/R/90/D121/C108/CB1/FRK1)- Estrella will alternate between relieving in the 6th and 7th innings.

Gordon Borkowski (22/R/91/F104/C90/FRK3/CB/2)- Borkowski will mainly setup in the 8th inning. The Pelicans also like Borkowski as a setup man moving forward.

Ken Merricks (20/R/93/F106/C89/CB2/SLV1)- "Ken throws hard and, once he improves his control, could be a dominate closer."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:19 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Yeah I definitly lucked out with the pitching staff. These guys are going to be nasty once they are developed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next