Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jacksonville Hickories: Talkin' softly, but carrying big
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
6/7/09: LEFT FIELD UPDATE

The battle for leftfield remains undecided. Here are the current stats for Art Vandelay (CCCEDE) and Jordi LaForge (ECCCDD):

Vandelay (138 AB) – 312, 4–2b, 3b, 8 HR, 22 RBI, 10K, 14SB
    LaForge (148 AB) – 318, 5–2b, 3-3b, 10 HR, 22 RBI, 8K, 12 SB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

2009 Draft Preview

Tomorrow is the 2009 draft, which is considered to have a pretty solid draft class. A number of pitchers are expected to make their major league rosters this or next season, and a lot of young, talented fielders are expected to fight for starting spots over the next few years.

Whether the Hickories get some solid talent is not guaranteed, since they will be picking 2nd to last because of their strong run at the end of last season in which they finished with the 2nd best record in baseball, behind the Yankees who will pick last.

The top 5 picks belong to (in order) the Orioles, the Royals, the Cubs, the Mariners, and the Pirates.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SIDE COMMENTS

It's nice to know that after 4+ years of playing PowerPros, I still have not seen or heard it all. Last week I heard good ol' Jack Merluzzi make the following comment (in reference to Francisco Liriano's strong outing), which I had not ever heard before:

"He's letting his left arm do the talking!"

Sorta makes up for all the times I forget to hit pause before my pitcher's 1st pitch and hear him say "that's how pitching's SUPPOSED to be done" or my all-time most hated sayings:

- when a player gets a single with no one else on base: "they could take the lead here"
    - when I pop out to the catcher: "he had him played perfectly"

I've got some pitchers who should approach level 5 on a fosh and a slurve. I know that level 5 is when his pitch-specific comments come into play on strikeouts (forkballs have a "dramatic drop" and curve balls "drop oughta sight" (I think). I'm looking forward to hearing what foshes and slurves do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

2009 Draft

New Hickories
: The Hickories, picking second to last (before the Yankees), chose two 22 year old pitchers.

Chiaffredo: 93 DB113 SL – three, CB – four, FO – three. Chiaffredo is considered to be major-league ready, and is the most polished pitcher from the draft.

Dinas: 88 EC96 2SF – one, SL – three, CB – two. Dinas already seems able to serve as a middle reliever. If he develops his 2SF and CB, he could blossom into a late inning reliever.

Both players are expected to stay in the minors this year.

2009 draft top five picks:

1. Orioles: 3B ED116GEFE – three (The best third baseman in this years draft)

2. Royals: C DEEDDD – one (Trash talk) (the best catcher and this years draft. For their second-round choice, the Royals nabbed a first baseman who, realistically, projects as a potential DH (GD105GFGG – two, clutch – four)

3. Cubs: C FF54FDDE – one (durable – four, good block) (a solid defensive catcher right now, he could not hit his way out of a paper bag and will likely never become more than a late inning defensive replacement)

4. Mariners: 3B FD113GEFE – three (The 2nd best third baseman in this years draft)

5. Pirates: P 93 DC101 SL – three, CB – two, SLV – two, FO–1 (the Pirates got a decent pitcher who can probably slide into their middle relief right now, but he does not project as ever having the stamina to be a starter, making him a poor first round pick, especially since Chiaffredo and the players listed below were still available)

DRAFT WINNERS

TOP FIELDERS

C EF84GEDD, Reds (the 2nd or 3rd best catcher in this draft)
      C FF73FEDD, Phillies (a solid defender, could improve to a viable starting catcher)
      C FF60FEDD, Red Sox (potential backup catcher)
      C EF64GDDE, Rays (potential backup, unless he improves significantly on his hitting)
      C EF82FDDE, trash talk, Twins (the 2nd or 3rd best catcher in this draft)
      3B FD113FEFG – two, throw – four, Athletics (could grow into a decent major leaguer)
      3B ED100GEFF, Angels (the 3d best 3b in this year's draft)
      SS FE99DDDE, White Sox [/color](the best all-around SS in this year's draft)
      SS EE85DDDE, Padres (this solid pick will be a valuable backup who could develop into a starter
      SS DF81EDCE, Diamondbacks (the best defensive SS in this year's draft could step into a few lineups today)
      RF ED109EEFE – two, Rangers (solid OF just are not developing well in high schools and colleges, and this one still needs to learn proper fielding techniques, but he is the best of the bunch)
      RF FD107EEED – three, Blue Jays (more polished defensively than the Rangers pick, but not as good at the plate)

TOP PITCHERS

89 EC98 2SF – one, CB – two, SK – one, Tigers (decent speed, could be intriguing if he improves his breaking pitches)
      89 FC 90 CU – three, SL – one, CB – three, hothead, Indians (if he can control his temper, the Indians have themselves a decent middle reliever)
      86 DC 2SF – one, SL – two, CB – two, Blue Jays (not ready for the major-league roster, the Blue Jays got themselves a picture who projects as a good reliever if they develop more break on their pictures)
      95 EC SL – one, FO – two, Rangers (The hardest thrower in this years draft)
      84 DC 2SF – one, SL – two, CB – three) (this 2nd round pick, who boasts a nice curveball potentially salvaged the Giants draft)

DRAFT LOSERS (Only considers first round choices and no first baseman, who are always terrible)

RF EEFFFF, Marlins (potential pinch-hitter, at most)
    CF FF50FEEF, Mets (an ultra light hitting centerfielder who also can't run or throw)
    CF FFFFDF, Tigers (he can catch the ball, but very little else)
    C EFFFFD, good block, Yankees[/color] (looking at just his offensive stats, you'd assume he's a defensive catcher; looking at his defensive stats, you'd assume he's an offensive catcher; this does not bode well. It might be unfair to criticize this pick, though, since the Yankees picked last.)
    P 82 GD SK – one, Astros (A pitcher with virtually no breaking pitches whose fastball does not even break most speed limits is a horrible pick regardless of the round, but the Astros draft day is potentially salvaged by their strong second round pick - 93 FC83 SL – three, CB – three, FO – three)
    P 85 DC 108, Giants (a pitcher that only throws fastballs, but can't break 90 mph)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
nice pick by the o's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

It was a nice draft for 3b - hopefully the computer does not focus training on their run speed, and focuses on defense and hitting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ROCKIES SERIES PREVIEW: Perhaps no other team in baseball matches the Hickories combination of power and speed like the Rockies, boasting five players with level C or higher speed and five players with level A or B power

ROCKIES

6/9/09: The Rockies used their speed to jump out in front in the third inning, scoring three times on two fielders choices and an infield single, before a Brad Hawp three run homerun doubled the Rockies lead. A three run homerun from Jeff Lebowski, who leads the American League in homeruns now that Ryan Braun has been traded, following RBI singles from Robert Plant and Cool Junior (batting 2nd since Mayes Hayes was given the day off) brought Jacksonville to within a run. The Hickories stranded the time runner at third in the fifth and sixth innings, but in the seventh, Lebowski drove home the Hickory on third with a two run homer. RBI singles from Robert Plant and Way Cool Junior gave the Hickories a 3 run lead in the eighth. Montoya allowed the tying run to bat, but closed out the game. Final score: 9-6, Hickories

6/10/09: The Hickories used singles and good baserunning (moving from first to third) to build a 3–0 lead in the third when Brian McCann hit his first extra base hit as a Hickory, a double that brought in two runs. In the fifth, the Rockies loaded the bases with no outs, in part due to the Hickories shortstop overrunning what should've been an easy out, and the Hickories were lucky to close out the inning with only two runs scored. Both teams with scored to show runs along the way, but the Hickories would never relinquish their lead. Final score: 8–4, Hickories

6/11/09: through three innings, this game was a pitching duel, as Rockies lefty Franklin Morales held the Hickories scoreless on two hits while Hickories lefty David Cohen kept the Rockies off the scoreboard while allowing only 4 hits. The Rockies broke the tie when Great Hall (FF, lefty – one) lined a shot that split the drawn in left and centerfielders for an RBI triple, and then Hall scored on a fielders choice in the fifth. The Rockies tacked on another run in the sixth. The Hickories challenged in the ninth inning, with McCann, Rogers, Banner and LaForge singling, putting the tying runner at second for Crash Davis, who grounded a two – one slider into a game ending double-play. Final score: 3–2, Rockies

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BRAVES PREVIEW: The Hickories travel to Atlanta to take on the Braves, with whom they completed their most recent trade of Ryan Braun and JR Towles in exchange for Brian McCann. Surprisingly, home run leader Ryan Braun has not become a regular starter, and although that might be justifiable due to his defense and current starter Matt Diaz' solid abilities (CBBFBC), what is even more surprising is that JR Towles (EEEDBCC) is toiling in the minors while the Braves carry only one catcher who is similar, offensively, to JR Towles, but much worst defensively, Giovany Soto (FEGEED).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BRAVES

6/12/09: The Braves put a run on the board in the second on three singles against a struggling Mike Pelfrey, while the Braves Mark Buehrle was on his game, allowing just one single on his first tour through the Hickories lineup. The Hickories tied the game in the sixth when Way Cool Junior, batting leadoff today, singled, stole second, moved to third on a wild pitch, and scored when the Braves third baseman threw off target to first for an error. The game remain tied at one as Pelfrey pitched until he was removed for a pinch hitter in the fourth, and Buttermaker took his place for a few innings, removed for pinch-hitter when Manzanilla took over, all leading to a 1–1 tie in the 9th. Buehrle finally began to tire, and after giving up a full count single to Buck Rogers, Crash Davis, who hit into a game ending double-play last night, hit his third homerun of the season, putting the Hickories up by two. The Hickories Montoya closed out the ninth easily. Final score: three – one, Hickories

6/13/09: in another pitching duel, the Hickories scored first against Tim Hudson when Geordie Laforge drove in Buck Rogers with a sacrifice fly in the fourth and Encyclopedia Brown triple home Laforge (and was stranded at third when Hickory starter Gabe Kotter was allowed to bat). Buck Rogers added a solo homerun in the sixth. Meanwhile, Hickory starter Gabe Kotter took a one-hit shutout into the seventh and finished with the pitching line of 7 IP, 2H, 0R, 10K. Mickey Shuler pitched the eighth. With a runner on second and two out, Ryan Braun came up to pinch-hit for the Braves reliever, but was promptly intentionally walked. Enigo Montoya allowed a home run to Jeff Francoer in the ninth, but closed out the inning. Final score: three – one, Hickories

6/14/09: 6–4, Braves

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:02 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
have you though about doing a bit of small ball to avoid double plays like bunt with a runner on 1st only with fast runner occupying 1st base with some squeezing bunt with a runner at 3rd only with fast runners.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I have thought about it, but I'm real unsure about trying a squeeze bunt. I'm not good at bunting, and while the computer pretty-much lets me take 2nd on bunts unchallenged, I'd think I'd have to start my runner at 3rd before doing a squeeze. Pressing the steal buttons during the pitcher's stretch makes it harder for me to get the bat on the ball. I'd probably still try it if my pitcher was batting,though.

Is that a tactic you use? I'm a big base stealer, and for me, "small ball" in this game generally means stealing bases and going for contact at the plan instead of swinging for the fences.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:13 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

i tested the tactic for a few games and get like a few more runs a game even involved Carlos Pena hitting a grand slam in the 1st test game erisa you will need some fast runners to steal bases and bunt one time i bunted the ball so perfectly it lead to 2 runs to win the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

6/14/09: The Hickories and Orioles struck a rare intra-division trade of minor league players. The Hickories send pitcher Henry "Indiana" Jones (87 DC106 2SF – three, HSL – three, DCB – one, HSK – four) to the Orioles in exchange for backup shortstop Osborne (DFEEDE). Osborne is in the first year of a three-year contract paying $480,000 per season, and is expected to stay in the minors this season. Jones is in the first year of a two-year contract paying $750,000 a season. Jones lost his spot on the major-league roster last year and saw one game of action in 2009 before being sent back to the minors.

The Hickories released the following statement: "Jones has good movement on his pitches, but it just didn't translate to getting batters out at the major-league level. The Orioles showed some interest in Jones and Osborne struck us as a potential utility player who can put the ball in play, so we decided to take a chance."

The Orioles released the following statement: "Henry Jones is a young pitcher that has experience pitching out of the bullpen, but can also start, and we were impressed by his above-average 2-seam fastball and hard sinker. We gave up a potential future major-leaguer in exchange for a pitcher we think can help us as a starter right now." Jones has been added to the major-league roster and appears slated to be their spot starter

Analysts think the Orioles got the best of this deal, although Jones' lack of success at the major-league level is troubling. "It appears that the Hickories were just tired of dealing with Jones and were looking to get something of value for the beleaguered pitcher," said a major-league official who spoke anonymously.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:38 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

the tactic i use is sacrifice hits and flies while stealing bases with some pop my record is 6 stolen bases by a team in one game which is a good fit for pankana park

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

PHILLIES

6/15/09: 5–2, Hickories

6/16/09:8–3, Phillies

6/17/09:6–5, Hickories

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next