Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Season Mode Musings - please contribute!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Does it seem to anyone else that the all-star game is somewhat rigged in favor of Derek Jeter winning MVP?

Most of the time, I have at least two or three players that can play every position, but when Jeter makes the All-Star team, he is the only shortstop, so he is going to play the full game and get the most at bats. The only exception to this in my memory is when a player makes the All-Star team at another position, and it just so happens that he can also play shortstop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

You know how if you choose not to resign a player during contract negotiations, they will normally remain an unsigned free agent? I figured I would do something about it by signing that player (as a FA) and then trading him to a team for $1, but it did not work.

No matter how thin the pitching was on a team, a trade of the pitcher for $1 was ranked as a 1-star trade.

For what it's worth, the pitchers were SP Gorzelany and RP Huston Street. A few days later, a team signed Gorzelany without my help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:02 am 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
ERISA Dude wrote:
You know how if you choose not to resign a player during contract negotiations, they will normally remain an unsigned free agent? I figured I would do something about it by signing that player (as a FA) and then trading him to a team for $1, but it did not work.

No matter how thin the pitching was on a team, a trade of the pitcher for $1 was ranked as a 1-star trade.

For what it's worth, the pitchers were SP Gorzelany and RP Huston Street. A few days later, a team signed Gorzelany without my help.

yeah the FA thing is weird. Any player that you sign (FA during offseason or during season), no team will want them. As the months pass, the trade rates increase by 1 star. So once july 1st hits, the trade market returns to normal. I guess it's kinda smart so you don't load up on FA's just to make a shit load of a money from trades.

My list of success players

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting. I didn't realize part of the issue was that I was signing these players as FAs. I assumed it was tied to the fact that I chose not to resign these players during the last contract negotiation period.

Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone else find it annoying when that secretary - lady pops up with a message during the game? Last night I was up by 8 runs in the 6th so I started swinging for the fences with every batter on every pitch, and she pops in with a "What are you doing?" Comment. When I'm getting dominated by an opposing pitcher, it's even more annoying.

That being said, I do appreciate her comments on the various stadiums, although her advice (usually to stock up on a certain type of player) is rarely something I can implement. Anyone know - is there a way for me to get that info whenever I want, as opposed to just the 1st time I'm visiting a stadium?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:03 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Red Sox
After a multi-year layoff I decided to hook up the old Wii and play a couple games. I can't believe I forgot how solid the gameplay is in this game.

Anyway, I'm a little over a month into a season as the Red Sox and playing around .500 ball. Just when I thought my offense was clicking I ran into a few high end starters in good condition and dropped several games in a row. Plus, the Sox bullpen is kind of shaky. Papelbon is a beast but Okajima is a soft thrower and Aardsma is streaky.

Big trades at the start of April saw Varitek, Lowell, and Schilling go to Cincinnati for Ronny Paulino and Ian Snell. Then Kevin Youkilis to the Brewers for Bill Hall. Mostly salary moves but I could also never hit well with the Youkilis batting stance. Plus some more youth in the Sox lineup seems important.

So I'm trying to remember from way back when (and a few questions):
- should I worry about fatigue piling up for position players? Some of my starters are already maxed in fatigue and it's only May. I'm not noticing a performance drop. Does fatigue force players into poor moods?
- should I just be throwing all players into development training during the season? Should starting pitchers be resting between starts? I'm running a 5+ pitcher rotation right now (if there is an off day I skip the 6th man the next time up).
- is it worth training any abilities during the season? I remember some like Intimidator are basically 100:1 long shots but are some other useful abilities high probability? I would rather not see too many training failures. Specifically, does anyone have a vibe on how hard it is to learn Contact Hitter?
- was the decline age 35 or was it a more nebulous mid-30s?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:27 pm 
Intimidator
Intimidator

Favorite Team: Yankees
Comfortably Lomb wrote:
So I'm trying to remember from way back when (and a few questions):
- should I worry about fatigue piling up for position players? Some of my starters are already maxed in fatigue and it's only May. I'm not noticing a performance drop. Does fatigue force players into poor moods?
- should I just be throwing all players into development training during the season? Should starting pitchers be resting between starts? I'm running a 5+ pitcher rotation right now (if there is an off day I skip the 6th man the next time up).
- is it worth training any abilities during the season? I remember some like Intimidator are basically 100:1 long shots but are some other useful abilities high probability? I would rather not see too many training failures. Specifically, does anyone have a vibe on how hard it is to learn Contact Hitter?
- was the decline age 35 or was it a more nebulous mid-30s?

tbh i use a 6 man rotation, so no one can miss a start. using a 5 man and a swing man still doesn't guarantee no one misses a start. From my experience, i've noticed that if a pitcher throws 7 innings or is dying from exhaustion, then he will not be able to pitch on 4 days rest. I was never too "on top" of knowing when there's a day off so i can fidget with them.
The last few times i've played season mode, I've been putting all my starting position players and starters on the "rest" practice. just so i don't completely over power the team by the 3rd year. but i dunno how much fatigue actually plays into their performance.
I don't really like to touch the abilities because of becoming over powered quickly, but sometimes i'll try to train a player if he is currently playing in the mlb and performs better in real life. Contact hitter isn't that difficult to learn tho, just save before the day the player fails or passes it. and just keep save/loading until he gets it (might be cheating tho)
and yeah if they turn 35 before contract negotiations then their skills will deteriorate.

My list of success players

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Welcome back to the game!

I try to manage fatigue. Low fatigue doesn't guarantee pink moods, but low fatigue minimizes the blues, makes the pinks and reds last longer. I think the mood affect play more than fatigue

Personally, I only train graybar players, with my goal being too win the WS with an all graybar team at some point. At 1st, I just look at what a player needs - defense, power, speed - I don't usually train contact since 1 base hit per game with no strike outs will increase that through game play. I also find that defensive dives that result in an out will sometimes improve defense.

Once I can buy the highest level equipment, I look at what will help my team the most, buy it, and dump all my players into it.

As for abilities, your odds go up if you have a player with an ability you want someone else to have and train them as buddies. My favorites :

- good catcher
- power hitter (with a level 2 trajectory guy who has at least D power, especially)
- push/spray hitter - I hit to the opposite field a lot and these help

I play almost all my games - very little simming - so most of the others, like contact hitter don't help

Anyone try "good delivery"? Is it helpful? Hard to get?

I use a 6-man rotation. I leave my starters in rest mode until they have no fatigue. Then I'll train them until the day after their start. After a start, they'll have fatigue so I'll move them to rest until they get rid of it and then I move them back to training. This process results in my 6 starters being in red or pink condition on their regular turn most of the time. Once I buy training equipment, it also means my nonstarters improve more quickly than my starters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Was thinking about training some pitchers for "good release," in the hopes it would up my strikeouts. Anyone else determine how useful it is?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:56 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
I'm pretty sure good release just helps against runners attempting stolen bases.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Really? I don't think that can be right. Here's the wiki entry: "The blue pitchers ability, Good Delivery, gives your pitcher the same throwing motion for fastballs as he does for breaking balls, making discerning what pitch is coming even harder for the batter."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:01 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Well that's good delivery, not good release :oops: . Are you showing a correlation? haha

like the fact that the release could help against batters the way Gd Delivery confuses them? I could see that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Hmm...the wiki only lists "good delivery" - maybe there is no good release and I just got mixed up. I'm not near my console to check

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:02 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
ERISA Dude wrote:
Hmm...the wiki only lists "good delivery" - maybe there is no good release and I just got mixed up. I'm not near my console to check
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll notice the speed of the release in game with Rel4 - same as the delivery remaining the same between fastballs/brk pitches.

Last edited by philliesfan134 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:32 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Yeah I thought you were talking about Release 4, not Good Delivery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next