Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Season Mode Musings - please contribute!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Season mode musings

I miss my season logs - the Jacksonville Hickories, the Iowa City County, and the Mojave Bobcats, but the typing and editing - I just don't have the time! I still play Season Mode most days and kind of narrate a season log in my head as I play.

So...I'm creating this thread for those season moders who are NOT doing a season log, but might want to post something here and there about their team. Lineups; a particularly exciting game; trades; drafts; etc.

I'm giving up on my Bobcats now that they've gotten too good. My star player had 49 home runs BEFORE the all-star break, and through the end of July, I only had 10 losses.

In that season, I tried a few things that I hoped might make things more interesting for longer. Here's what I did and how it turned out:

Dream draft: this was my 1st time with this. Aside from wanting to try it, I hoped it would bring about parity. For myself, I foced myself to pick graybar players for the first 8 or so rounds. In this, I'd say this was a success. It did bring parity and I nabbed several exciting young players because I could take the best players from each expansion team.

No trades. I turned off trades, thinking it would prevent my from taking advantage of other teams, and would help maintain parity. This was a failure. Teams did not use free agency well. For example, some teams would pick up a great SS during FA...to go along with their other 2 really good SS, and go into the season without a catcher. In my last year with the Bobcats, Alex Rodriguez started at 2b because that team did not have a 2b, even though there were plenty in FA. The. They picked up a 2b in the draft who was terrible. It also made me feel badly that none of the players I refused to resign were ever picked up by other teams.

Restricted training. Realizing that my backups would never challenge my starters if they all could improve through training, while only my starters got to improve during games, I self-enforced a rule that only graybars could train. I think this was successful, as it did allow my graybars to overtake my starters and gave me something else "managerial" to think about.

Only graybar players can learn new positions or pitches. Again, this helped make graybar players a bit more valuable.

So...there's a few thoughts/comments. I'll post more later, but hope others who don't want to commit to a full log, but want to share about their season will do so. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Season Mode Musings - please contribute!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:11 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Angels
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
I find logs with success players in it more interesting

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:14 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
The dream draft idea is a really good idea to help maintain parity in the league.

And damn, only 10 losses going into July? Are the difficulty levels all on powerful?

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:30 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
I think the best I've ever done was 141-21, and that was on Powerful. Memphis Massives 8)

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:01 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

BrewersFuzz wrote:
I think the best I've ever done was 141-21, and that was on Powerful. Memphis Massives 8)

Your parents must be proud of their gifted boy.

Image Image

Last edited by Paul McCartney15 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Paul McCartney15 wrote:
And damn, only 10 losses going into July? Are the difficulty levels all on powerful?

All exempt pitching, which is all-star. In powerful pitching, the little tracker bounces around and hurts my eyes!

Yes - I do use the pitch tracker and I have the pitch speed on normal. Not ready to move up to "fast" yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:44 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
ERISA Dude wrote:
Paul McCartney15 wrote:

All exempt pitching, which is all-star. In powerful pitching, the little tracker bounces around and hurts my eyes!

Yes - I do use the pitch tracker and I have the pitch speed on normal. Not ready to move up to "fast" yet.

You should try fast. It isn't that bad once you adjust.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:46 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

ERISA Dude wrote:
Paul McCartney15 wrote:

I echo Anthony's statements with regards to pitch speed. I moved it up to fast a few years ago and haven't looked back since.

That is if it gets too easy for you again.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:13 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Paul McCartney15 wrote:
BrewersFuzz wrote:

Your parents must be proud of their gifted boy.

Aww thanks man they probably are 8)

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:47 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Most recent game with the Orlando Octane (for AOW's Expansion Mode Challenge). The comeback homer was a grand slam on top of the Monster.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Whoa - that's awesome! Cool uni 's, too

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:26 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I wish the expansion mode created players occasionally had more interesting faces, or facial hair, or long hair or glasses or something. I like the different skin tons at least, matching the names too, but having a guy with eye black or something would really help differentiate guys on the big roster.

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

ERISA Dude wrote:
Whoa - that's awesome! Cool uni 's, too

Thanks, man. You guys may not like the home jersey as much (it uses a purple with that neon trim). But I love the jersey too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:27 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Alloutwar wrote:
I wish the expansion mode created players occasionally had more interesting faces, or facial hair, or long hair or glasses or something. I like the different skin tons at least, matching the names too, but having a guy with eye black or something would really help differentiate guys on the big roster.

This. Combined with the fact that they don't have first names, it just feels like I'm playing with a bunch of robots or something.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I started a season mode with the "Omaha Ranchers," using a dream draft where I only chose graybar players for the 1st 8 rounds.

The Ranchers seem to have a mix of well-rounded players at key positions, with offensive-minded players at the corner outfield spots, and players the team hopes can mature into solid contributors.

SS Stephen Drew (ECBCCD) was a nice mid-draft pick up and Bengie Molina (DBFEDA, clutch – four, good catcher) was an absolute steal, although his 34 years of age may have frightened some away. The first Graybar player selected in the draft – 3B Heaverlo (DCFDEE) should be able contribute and may grow into a top offensive and solid defensive player. 2b Brendan Harris (DDGDDE) should contribute enough offensively to make up for his average to below average defense, and his ability to fill-in at short and third should prove useful.

The Ranchers sacrificed defense at their corner outfielder spots, which will be manned by RF Matt Kemp (DCCDFG) and Josh Fields (aka "Great Hart") (EBGBFD, left – four), the latter of whom can also play 3B, while Ryan Braun (CADEFG) is expected to assume the main DH role

The main criticisms of the Ranchers starting lineup would be at 1B, where Graybar player Serrano (FCFFED) seems like he may be able to grow into a solid player, but it may have been smarter to pick a more established offensive contributor and get a better outfield defender. Chris Burke (EDCECE) seems best-suited to be a utility player who can play 2b, LF, and CF, but will be starting at centerfield. The Ranchers contend that his solid fielding and decent speed make him perfect for centerfield and his penchant for putting the bat on the ball will make up for his lack of power.

The Ranchers are starting the season with four bench players – Graybar 3b Andrews (ECEDEE), who may move to the outfield if he can't push Heaverlo for playing time, Graybar catcher Oviedo (FEEEDC, good catcher) who is hoped to be the catcher of the future, Graybar second baseman Robbins (EDFCDE) and primary backup catcher Sean Riggins (EFGBDD).

The overall lineup appears solid, but the team has no backup 1b, and if Braun DHs, the Ranchers bench will exclusively be made up of infielders.

If there is a real weakness to this team, it will be in their pitching. The Ranchers are hoping their pitchers throw strikes low in the zone and generate ground balls that will be handled by their infielders. Their starting rotation consists of the following:

Ubaldo Jimenez (98 EB CB– One, CH – four) - a starting pitcher's stamina, but a reliever's limited repertoire
    Phil Hughes (95 EB SL – two, CB – four, CH – two) - seemingly has the "stuff," but can he put it all together?
    Scott Baker (93 CA CU– one, CB – three, CH – four) - maybe the best of the bunch
    Jo-Jo Ray (EB SL – two CB – two) - a nice fastball, but not enough movement on his breaking pitches
    Brandon McCarthy (94 DB SL – two, CB – two, CH – two) - see "Jo-Jo Ray" comment
    Graybar Barton (94 DC (109) SL – three, CB – three) - Barton has almost identical stats to another Graybar pitcher selected by the Ranchers who will remain in the minors, with Barton getting the nod because he is a lefty.

The Ranchers seem to have drafted enough decent relievers that the relief corp should work itself out to form a solid unit. Scott Linebrink (95 CE SL – two, SP – three, CH – three) will close with Joe Smith (95 CE SL – two, CH – two, SFB – two) and Johnny Cueto (95 FE SL – two, CH – four) sharing the set up role. Middle relief falls to Francisco Rosario (97 DE HSL – three, SP – two, CH – two), Dustin Nippert (96 CE CB – two, CH – three), and Fernando Hernandez (90 GE SL – two, CB – four, CH – one)

Said management: "it looked to us that with the dream draft, most teams were looking to throw away their budgets and go after the absolute top of the top. Our goal is to field a competitive team that will naturally improve over time and allow us the financial flexibility to add pieces as we need them." Certainly, it seems that the Ranchers first opponents – the White Sox, went all out, with players such as Carlos Guillen (CBBCDD), Ryan Howard, and Manny Ramirez anchoring a formidable lineup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next