Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Season Mode Musings - please contribute!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rays
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Thanks, man. Been playing since 2011, so it's "only" been 4 years. Still fun, and sometimes I can't help but feel an article writing itself in my head.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Has anyone done a season where they turned off condition changes and just made everyone normal condition the whole time?

I realize that since the computer doesn't manage player-conditions well, that winds up being a big advantage to me. Facing blue and purple opposing pitchers. Managing my own player-conditions is part of the fun, but maybe I'll eliminate that next time.

If you turn off conditions, does that eliminate the gray "resting" condition for pitchers?
I'm thinking I'd be able to go with a normal 5-man rotation, but if there's no gray condition, then you really never have to worry about overusing a pitcher. You could select 1 starter and use him every start?

If anyone's tried this, please let me know what you liked and disliked about it. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Today I let the computer play my game via fast mode. Tim Lincecum was pitching. In a standard 9-inning game, Lincecum threw a complete game shutout with 20 strikeouts. That's right - in a game with only 18 outs, Lincecum struck out 20!

I guess that means he had (at least) two strikeouts that were wild pitches and the batter made it to first? It's unusual for that to happen once, let alone twice. Moreover, I've never seen a wild pitch on a strikeout before. Guess this is something else that only happens when the computer is playing both sides; another is hit batsmen. I've never seen a hit batsman when I am playing the game, but stats do show that batters get hit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:20 am 
Ace
Ace

Console '07: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
ERISA Dude wrote:
Today I let the computer play my game via fast mode. Tim Lincecum was pitching. In a standard 9-inning game, Lincecum threw a complete game shutout with 20 strikeouts. That's right - in a game with only 18 outs, Lincecum struck out 20!

I guess that means he had (at least) two strikeouts that were wild pitches and the batter made it to first? It's unusual for that to happen once, let alone twice. Moreover, I've never seen a wild pitch on a strikeout before. Guess this is something else that only happens when the computer is playing both sides; another is hit batsmen. I've never seen a hit batsman when I am playing the game, but stats do show that batters get hit.

Um...there are 27 outs in a game...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:09 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Angels
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
aar0nat0r wrote:
ERISA Dude wrote:

Um...there are 27 outs in a game...

LOL.
Also, when you forget how many outs they are.
And,
RKO!!!!!!!!

Cleveland Browns : The Race For Last Place
2018 MLBPP Update

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

OMG! I am such an idiot! And I'm the one that helps my kids with their times tables!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

2008 draft analysis

This first draft following the first ever "dream draft" that we organize all of baseball is finished. Overall, it is a week draft all-around, but as always, there are winners and losers.

New "Las Vegas Show" Players:

1. Shortstop Butron (DEDECD – two, gold glove); switch hitter age 25

2. Picture Roney (97 DC 108 FO–3, Kn – three, SK – two); lefty age 22

FA pitcher Serano (89 EC FO – three, CB – one), SideArm righty age 19

FA Rottino pitcher (84 EC SL – two, KN – one, FO – two), sidearm lefty age 22

First five picks:

Honeybees: Catcher (EFFDDD-1) – Has the defense, but his offense should keep him on the bench, which is clearly not good enough for the number one pick in the draft

The Show: Shortstop Butron (DEDECD – two, gold glove); Has a decent skill set but a week arm means he won't be a starter unless he improves that part of his game or switches to the right side of the second

Rays: 3b (EDFEFE-2): The best of a weak crop of the third baseman

Pirates: SS DFDDDF-2, lefty: Good skills, but will need to minimize his errors

Royals: RF FDEEEE-2, lefty: Shows promise but will need to improve his overall game

Last five pics of the first round:

Diamondbacks: LF FFFFFE – two.: A wasted selection
    Yankees: LF FFFFFF, lefty: even worse then the Diamondbacks'
    Angels: C EFFEFE, Good block, good catcher (Second round pick, pitcher 91 DC SL – two, CB – three, PA – two, lefty): A nice pic at this point in the draft
    Indians: C EFFFEE – two, good blocker: Worth taking a flyer on him at this point in the draft
    Red Sox: 3B EEGEFF – two, switch hitter: should have selected a pitcher

Top infielders

Honeybees Catcher (EFFDDD-1)
    Rangers catcher FEFDED-1
    Raise 3B EDFEFE – two
    Pirates SS DFDDDF – two, lefty
    Marlins SS EEEDCE – two, error prone, lefty

Top outfielders

Athletics EFFEDE, lefty
    Dodgers EFEFDE, Switch hitter

Top pitchers

The Show 97 DC 108 FO–3, Kn – three, SK – two: A pitcher who could step into the back end of most major-league rotations and do just fine
    Rangers pitcher 94 FC SL – two, CB – one, SK - one: A nice fastball and decent repertoire
    Mariners 93 EC SL – three, CB – one, FO – two: A decent fastball and a nice slider
    Angels 91 DC SL – two, CB – three, PA – two: A solid array of breaking pitches
    Padres 93 FC CU – three, CB – three, FO – two, lefty: A decent fastball and good movement on two of three breakages
    Nationals 95 GC SL – two, CB – one, FO - 3: When he finds the plate, his fastball and forkball get the job done

Best overall draft[

Las Vegas Show SS DEDECD – two, gold glove; Picture Roney (97 DC 108 FO–3, Kn – three, SK – two) – A midfielder with promise and the best pitcher in the draft

Rangers catcher FEFDED-1; pitcher 94 FC SL – two, CB – one, SK - one: One of the best catchers and one of the hardest throwing pitchers in this year's draft

Pirates SS DFDDDF – two, lefty; 3B FDGEFE, lefty: In mid fielder with promise and a third baseman who is a project, but might make it to the majors someday

Angels: C EFFEFE, Good block, good catcher (Second round pick, pitcher 91 DC SL – two, CB – three, PA – two, lefty): grading the angels on a slight curve with their first-round pick because they picked so late in the draft

Worst overall draft

Twins 2b FFFGDF; pitcher 88GDSL – one: A second baseman who can't hit, run, or field, and a pitcher who can't find the plate and won't scare any batters when he does

Tigers LF FFEFFF – two, error-prone; pitcher 90 GD SL – one: An outfielder who simply can't play baseball and pitcher who can't find the plate and won't scare any batters when he does

Giants 2b EFEEEF; catcher FFGFEE – The only player the Giants first round pick is better than is the giants second round pick

Reds RF FEEEED-2, lefty; Picture 87 GC SL – one, slow starter: With a lot of hard work, the rats first round pick could develop into a defense of replacement, but their pitcher is simply terrible until he gets a few innings under his belt, and which point, he is merely "poor"

Brewers 1B GEGFGF – two; pitcher 82 FD SL – one, lefty: Why are no first baseman ever prepared for professional baseball when they enter the draft? Looks like there's like around pic was selected to make their first round pick look decent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

An exciting end to my 1st season with my current team, the Las Vegas Show. From opening day after the dream draft, the Show was in a race with the Angels, who held 1st place in the AL West from August until the Show took a 1 game lead with 2 games to go in the season. Those two games pitted The Show against the Amgels. After losing game 1, the teams had identical records and had an even split in the season-long rivalry (I think we each won 9 and lost 9, but I forget exactly).

Anyway, the Angels and their starter, Zach Duke, took the last game in a game with 3 lead changes, and took the AL West crown. Fortunately, The Show took the Wild Card and do not have to face the Angels for at least several games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I've been enjoying playing with "turns" instead of playing every game all the way through. Anyone else enjoying that?

I don't like to totally skip games because my graybar players strikeout a lot and lose power and contact points. So instead, I put my gray bars in the lineup one right after the other and set my "turns" to switch from fast play to normal when the 1st player comes up.

I can do it with relief pitchers, too - to an extent. I lost my gray are as middle-relievers and set the "turns" to pause when the 1st one comes in - I think the computer always picks the 1st one 1st, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, obviously the "turns" idea has been around since, at least, 2008. How many of you use it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Hit my 1st inside-the-park homerun yesterday. Jose Reyes playing in golden apples stadium; split the center and right fielders. I don't know if I consider it a "true" inside-the-Parker, though - I wouldn't have made it if the OF had not the cut off man. The extra time for the through to get to 3rd is what allowed me to make it home.

Anyone else hit an inside the park home run? I've been using panpaka park as my home field and expected to get a few, but nothing so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:45 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Wii and DS
ERISA Dude wrote:
Hit my 1st inside-the-park homerun yesterday. Jose Reyes playing in golden apples stadium; split the center and right fielders. I don't know if I consider it a "true" inside-the-Parker, though - I wouldn't have made it if the OF had not the cut off man. The extra time for the through to get to 3rd is what allowed me to make it home.

Anyone else hit an inside the park home run? I've been using panpaka park as my home field and expected to get a few, but nothing so far.

I believe I've hit a fair few at Panpaka Park, yeah. Maybe one or two at the Golden Apples Stadium as well.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:25 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Angels
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
ERISA Dude wrote:

I believe I did when I first got the game in Citzen's Bank Park. I was as the Phillies and my player had a B Speed. Same way you did. Believe I did it with Jose Reyes in an exhibition, but I don't remember well.

Cleveland Browns : The Race For Last Place
2018 MLBPP Update

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rangers
I had kike Hernandez hit an inside the Parker in Dodger Stadium against KCR. It spilt the left field gap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:42 am 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Giants
Fondest memory of this was a Success player, with tough runner, who split the gap at golden apples stadium and crushed the catcher to seal the deal. So exciting.

BEN: "The ICHIRO is what gives a Jedi his powers."

VADER: "The power of this battle station is insignificant next to the power of the ICHIRO."

BEN(ghost): "May the ICHIRO be with you, always."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:44 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox

This happened today

One grounder by the Mets, two fielder mistakes. En route to a 10-1 loss with my expansion mode challenge team.

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next