Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Posting:

* Individual players should be in their own thread, with the full name of the player and position(s) in the title. Don't add superlatives or any other shout outs to it... we will see your guys...
* If you post a team or a set of players, add players by editing your starting post so they're all in the same post. A bump to announce the edit is appropriate.
* Posting images are fine, provided they are small in dimension and data. 800x600 and ~50Kb should be the biggest you can post inline (using the [IMG] tag), anything larger, post a link or a clickable thumbnail instead.
* If you have wiki rights, add your player(s) and team(s) there as well!
-->

Post subject: Casey Kelly - SP - Padres (Wii)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:10 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Mets
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Next up for me is Padres young starter Casey Kelly. He was a piece of the A-Gon trade from Boston in 2011, although the main part of the deal, Anthony Rizzo, is now on the Cubs. Kelly came up in late August 2012 for SD and looked pretty good, but has been injured since and hopefully can come back to have a good season next year. Here is what robhallett had on him:
Quote:
top speed 96
control 150
stamina 118

SIFB 3
KNCB 3
CCHG 2

GB pitcher
Safe pitch
Poker face
Choke artist

I like all these, but the highest he has reached in the majors was 93. He really relies on his breaking pitches, if only you could get Breaking Ball P in 08, as well as 07. Also, maybe his control should be a bit lower. Maybe 125-135 range. Anything else to add? I'm planning on starting him real soon. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by LetsGoMets77 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Casey Kelly - SP - Padres (Wii)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:18 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Thanks for keeping on trucking, LGM. Appreciate your continued effort with these players.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:30 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

philliesfan134 wrote:
Thanks for keeping on trucking, LGM. Appreciate your continued effort with these players.

Thanks for the compliments! As I've said, if we want a roster update, we'll have to do it ourselves, so I've tried my hardest. There have been sometimes where I've failed, but most times I've done a pretty good job :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:34 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Don't Own
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Yeah man, I'm just amazed that every day you're on to a new project that fast. That being said:

2012 fangraphs has FB/CB/CH
used to play SS, maybe decent fld.?

Quote:
At his best, Kelly had a plus sinker that hit 97 mph and a plus curveball to go with at least an average changeup and command from a sturdy 6’3/210 frame and an athletic delivery.
Quote:
Kelly’s above-average athleticism helps him squeeze every ounce of potential out of his pitching tools. His fastball works in the low-90s but its movement and sink generates a plethora of ground-ball outs. His curveball has plus potential and is strikeout pitch for him when he commands it consistently. The changeup could develop into an average offering. Kelly has a solid delivery with minimal effort and his injury took the organization by surprise.
Quote:
Kelly's fastball was rated the best health in the Red Sox system in 2010. And so was his curve. And so was his changeup. Put all that together with his plus control, and it seems pretty clear we're looking at a possible Padres success story. Like any pitching prospect, he needs luck on his side to stay healthy, and if he gets that, he'll be a solid number two or three starter, and maybe even a future ace.
Quote:
Excellent athlete who was drafted as a position player; pitchability is his calling card; fastball sits in the low-90s; was touching mid-90s before elbow injury early in the year; thrown on solid downhill plane; induces ground balls; curveball is above average with depth and late break; above-average potential; changeup continues to improve and adds another secondary weapon; command-oriented right-hander; reliant upon getting ahead in the count and sequencing pitches; lacks an elite offering.

Projection: No. 4 or 5 starter
Quote:
As you should expect from a former shortstop, he's an excellent overall athlete. Elbow problems aside, scouts like his delivery, saying that his mechanics are clean and repeatable. The combination of good mechanics and superior athleticism should help him stay healthy, in theory anyway.

The arsenal: Kelly's fastball tops out at 95 MPH, and he'll throw it anywhere between 88 and 93 in most games. He locates the pitch well, keeps the ball low in the strike zone, and avoids excessive home runs. He makes frequent use of an above-average curveball. His changeup is inconsistent: sometimes it is very effective, but sometimes it is little more than a show-me pitch. He goes through phases where he doesn't use the changeup much, relying on the fastball and curve, but in general he throws strikes and has a good feel for pitching.

Although he doesn't consistently dominate or blow people away, Kelly has a lot of things going for him. I see him more as a number three-type efficiency expert than a future star-caliber ace, but there's nothing wrong with being a number three starter. He looked good in his first major league start, and his outstanding K/BB ratio in the minors shows his potential.
Quote:
Kelly attacks hitters with a three pitch mix, showing two easy plus pitches. His fastball is heavy, with good movement and he controls it extremely well. It sits in the low 90s, but can touch the mid 90s when he reaches back for a bit more. There are times he will overthrow the pitch causing it to lose some movement and making it a bit more hittable. His curve is also a plus pitch featuring a sharp, late break. He has developed a low 80s change up to the point that it too has movement and he can throw all three for strikes. Highly athletic, Kelly repeats his delivery with ease, allowing him to control all his pitches and pound the strikezone. He's received criticism for being around the strikezone too much, allowing hitters to tee off on him, despite three above-average pitches and plus control. The advancements he made this spring/season have seen additional movement on his fastball, harder break on his curve and more movement on his change in past years, and can explain the jump in strikeouts. Even with the jump in stuff, he's unlikely to be a true ace, profiling more as a number two pitcher if it continues to click.
Quote:
You can tell that he is still very raw as a pitcher. Thus, he relies too much on his fastball, which comes in a little heavy, but does not have a lot of movement. As a result, hitters notice that he likes the fastball and they can hit it well at times. The game I saw he was hit for 6 runs in 5 innings.

A developing slider and changeup that both still need work. The fastball is his best pitch, but if its not on, he will get lit up. One can tell that once he gets more experience pitching he will be very successful. Still adapting, Kelly will get those secondary pitches and one that can put hitters away. He is part of an extremely deep farm system for the Padres.
Quote:
Prior to the surgery, the production never matched the hype. Back of the rotation arm.
Quote:
Not much has changed since last time we updated on Casey Kelly. He missed all of 2013 after having Tommy John surgery. When on the mound he throw’s from a 3/4 arm slot, and at 6’3″ he throws on a nice downhill plane which leads to a lot of ground ball outs. He works most effectively with his fastball sitting around 90-92 mph, though he can touch 95. His curveball has some bite to it with a nice late break, while his change up is average at best, but developing.

Our Instinct: Recently, Kelly had a 65 pitch session from the bullpen mound. He threw 35 pitches at 50 percent, followed by 30 more at 70 percent. Kelly is pleased with the progress so far. He’s about a month or so behind the other pitchers. There’s little doubt that he will spend most, if not all of 2014 in the minors. If and when he can regain the stuff he had before, he’ll be brought back to the big club. He projects as a #4 or #5 starter now but past upside had him as a mid-rotation starter. We won’t take that potential away from him, though it will only happen if he can harness the changeup during this recovery period.

http://thedynastyguru.com/2012/08/26/it ... sey-kelly/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:44 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

I've seen him throw a sinker, so I'm going to add that in with maybe a 2-3. I'm still seeing Top Speed 93, I read the quotes carefully. It says 97 but it also says in the same quote that has him at 95 that it maxes at 93. I'm actually going to watch the rest of the football game and go to bed probably, so I'll start him tomorrow. Anything else to add?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:47 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
definitely SS as a second position. He hit 5 homers in 351 PAs, so he should get power of 95-115 somewhere. contact can be F, he had to give up and go full-time as a pitcher due to poor batting average. Timely whiff might also work, 96 strikeouts in that timeframe, lol

Still, better career BA than JP Arencibia...i think

Gd Reflexes might make sense with his fielder background
Durability 2 for the tommy john?

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:52 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Alloutwar wrote:
definitely SS as a second position. He hit 5 homers in 351 PAs, so he should get power of 95-115 somewhere. contact can be F, he had to give up and go full-time as a pitcher due to poor batting average. Timely whiff might also work, 96 strikeouts in that timeframe, lol

Still, better career BA than JP Arencibia...i think

Gd Reflexes might make sense with his fielder background
Durability 2 for the tommy john?

Yeah AOW, I was thinking of giving him some hitting abilities too, as well as Gd Reflexes. Also, I don't know if I want to get injured twice or what ever it takes to get Durability 2 as it might hamper his abilities

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:37 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
LetsGoMets77 wrote:
I've seen him throw a sinker, so I'm going to add that in with maybe a 2-3. I'm still seeing Top Speed 93, I read the quotes carefully. It says 97 but it also says in the same quote that has him at 95 that it maxes at 93. I'm actually going to watch the rest of the football game and go to bed probably, so I'll start him tomorrow. Anything else to add?

The game's "Sinkers" don't really exist in real life. Never give any player a SNK or H-SNK unless their changeup moves that way. The pitch should be a 2SFB or SIFB always.

yeah that log's dead too- i mean on hiatus (yes that one too) (seriously all of them now lol) (haha unless...?)

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

Second Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:43 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Yeah Agent, I forgot about that. Good thing I didn't start him... :lol: . So SIFB 2-3. Also, Agent, could you please post Stephen Pryor when you get the chance? Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:02 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
LetsGoMets77 wrote:
Yeah Agent, I forgot about that. Good thing I didn't start him... :lol: . So SIFB 2-3. Also, Agent, could you please post Stephen Pryor when you get the chance? Thank you.

Will do! He's one of my two players without VS LH Batter 4! (Both are two-pitch guys, maybe that has something to do with it???)

yeah that log's dead too- i mean on hiatus (yes that one too) (seriously all of them now lol) (haha unless...?)

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

Second Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:34 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Finished, came out nicely. Next up for me is Scooter Gennett. Visit my thread on him to post some feedback on him, starting him now. Enjoy!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 232.16 KiB | Viewed 6225 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 228.62 KiB | Viewed 6225 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 254.09 KiB | Viewed 6225 times ]