All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MLB Life: Playing with Created Characters
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:33 am 
Prospect
Prospect

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Just want to see if anyone else is playing with their created characters, and if so, how are they doing. For me, it's been going great until during and after the postseason. My team, the Giants, actually won the World Series because of me, I clinched the final win since I was the last pitcher to pitch in the series, sweeping the Angels. During the season, I was awesom, getting the triple crown for pitchers and striking out everything in sight.

Now that the new season has started, WAY more batters have been able to correctly indentify my custom pitch, making contact even when it falls out of the strike zone, which gets me super mad. They also started hitting my fastballs, 4 and 2 seamers if they're either first or second strike. Now, I've been on a My Life hiatus because I can't strike anyone out anymore, and my defense and management is getting me infuriated. I am currently playing for the Giants, our current team consists of Dave Roverts at left, Hideki Matsui at center, Randy Winn at right, Jose Castillo at 3rd, Orlando Cabrera at short, Ray Durham at 2nd, Rich Aurilia at 1st, and Bengie Molina behind the dish.

Now, as you can imagine from my ranting, this is a real thorn on my side, especially because I have Orlando Hudson in the Minors! I hate Durham in the game because he can't turn a double play to save his life! And I'd also like Orlando Hudson to play 2nd because my character's name is orlando as well, and when I'm pitching, there'll be 3 Orlandos on the field! :lol:

Butyea, that's how it's going for me, anyone else?

Post subject: Re: MLB Life: Playing with Created Characters
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:33 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
I'm actually using my first success mode player (quite a weenie version of Tony Gwinn). Super high Contact for his 0 power (okay 85). D speed but improving that quickly. in AAA i was batting well over 700 and an OBP well above that (then stealing 3-4 bases a night) before getting called up.

3B R throw, L bat takes over for James Loney (who somehow has a 14 run speed???) about 2 times a month (total bummer) because I have the Great Pinch Hitter ability (from some event I don't remember).

BA is well over 400, but only getting 1 AB a night. Meanwhile Dodgers stink (very realistic year, except Kent is having the off year and Jones is tolerable). I'm being heavily scouted by other teams, which makes trade talk more clear when I'm getting more starting time after the all-star break. We'll see what happens.

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:04 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

I started out a little shaky, but am doing alright now.

I'm a 2B in the Indians organization. In the minors, I have an over-.500 batting average, aboout 12 RBI, 1 HR, and like 24 SBs. Occasionally I get called up to the majors, where I'm batting about .297 with 6 RBI and 2 SBs.

I used to get called up, put in as a pinch hitter in the 8th or 9th, pop out to short 4 games in a row, then get sent back down. now, i got on a hot streak and am occasionally starting (in LF or as DH :\ ), but my manager and coach's trust still aren't very high.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:09 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Braves
yea that seems to happen alot in my life mode. to me it seems if you have it on normal or expert, during the season, depending on how you perform, it'll change the settings of the computer. into my 2nd year with my starter, i started only getting about 3ks a game, when i used to get 7-11 at least, later when i decided to go to the options during a game, i saw that it had the computers batting and baserunning at the powerful level.

so i decided to restart the pitcher on novice, since you control what settings you play on, just during spring training did it change their batting to all-star by itself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:40 pm 
Prospect
Prospect

Wow, that explains alot. The only thing is that I have Orlando Hudson and cabrera on my team, it would suck to have Durham on the team still.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:22 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
I like that, makes the game harder as you get better. I was striking out 10+ going 7-0 with an ers under 1.0 untill my coach told I was starting to get scouted alot. Three games later I have lost one, only getting striking out 7 tops, and have given up at leat one run each game. Keeps thing from getting to easy.

What was the color of dirt BEFORE it got dirty?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:42 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I ran into this problem recently too. Seemed that the CPU hitters could hit anything I threw. The best solution that I've found is to simulate your games later in the season. I've ended up dominating all year during simulation despite major problems manually.

If that seems too easy/cheap (which it did for me after a while), I think it helps somewhat toi pretty much only use half of your pitches for a few weeks and then switch up, etc. As the game says, the other team's scouts will really spend a lot of time figuring you out so, if you mix it up as much as possible, it seems to confuse the CPU.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:24 pm 
Prospect
Prospect

But if you sim, you don't do get to do the daily activities, which i enjoy. It's funny though, I tried simming up to my next pay day, I'm still in debt because it payed over half a mil for winning 20+ games, and I actually won 5 games in a row, forgot how many strike outs, but still had an ERA under .70, pretty cheap, but I still tried paying everything, and it sucked! Especially because I just learned the screwball and they hit it 70% of the time!