Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vicente Valtieri - P (My Life Log)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
End of August stats: 2.53 ERA, 11-11 record, 184 strikeouts
Chicago Cubs record: 65-69, 9 games behind

We managed to turn out a winning record in August, but a couple bad streaks made it a mediocre month overall, and the Astros really stepped up and dominated all month long to extend their lead further. It looks like it would require a miracle to compete for a playoff spot in this last month. We would need ridiculous winning streaks and for the Astros to have a month opposite their August for us to have a shot. We have a 4 game series against the Astros near the end of the year, so if we can manage a great win streak until then and sweep them, well... Anything's possible, except teams in this division competing for a Wild Card spot, the division leading Astros are 3 games behind the Wild Card leaders for the NL, and they were more than 10 behind before the start of August.

I'm still getting pathetic run support on a personal level, tied for 1st in NL ERA, and securely in second place for NL strikeouts but the team still can't get me a winning record. Annoying, to say the least. My lack of wins better not lower the offers I'll get when I head back into Free Agency after next season. I kind of miss the Athletics, also, they somehow managed to get themselves into first in their division since I last checked, leading the Angels by 8 games. I swear, if they win the World Series this year....

Quote:
Hello
Though I am not a coach, I can coach, please trust me!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:16 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
You are having trouble getting run support! The most annoying thing about Life mode, hands down.

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

On the Athletics I could get twice the wins with twice the ERA.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:43 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

End of 2014 stats: 2.61 ERA, 15-12 record, 219 strikeouts
Chicago Cubs record: 77-85, 9 games behind
MLB Career stats to this point: 3.74 ERA, 1360.1 innings pitched, 93-69 record, 219 games pitched in, 11 shutouts, 21 complete games, 1163 strikeouts, 359 walks, .254 average against, 589 runs allowed, 566 earned runs, 217 games started, 1364 hits allowed, 21282 pitches thrown, 111 quality starts

Well, we won the series with the Astros, winning 3 out of 4, unfortunately we did so horribly before that, they wound up clinching the division about a week before that series started. We tied the Pirates for second place, a ridiculous turnaround from all the years in the previous years for the Cubs.

The team got me enough wins this month that I wound up tied for the league lead, I could have won a Triple Crown if Sabathia wasn't such a ridiculous strikeout machine. Well, maybe some other year, when I got angry at the Athletics for giving him away for nothing, I never for a second expected it to have this kind of impact on me. Speaking of the Athletics, they had a bad last month but barely managed to hold on and win their division, I guess I'll have to cheer for them in the playoffs. Better than the Yankees winning it for the 6th time in the last 4 years, or whatever they're at now...

This was actually an amazing career year for me to this point. I've never come close to such a great ERA before, and my strikeout numbers were amazing too. I've had a 16 win year before though, so there was no record there. I even managed 20 quality starts this year, amazing..

Well, back off to practice, I may never make the playoffs again, but if I do, I'd better be in the best shape possible.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Playoffs:

Round 1:
Rays over Tigers 3-1
Yankees over Athletics 3-2
Diamondbacks over Braves 3-0
Astros over Mets 3-2

Round 2:
Yankees over Rays 4-2 (they lost 2 then won 4 in a row)
Astros over Diamondbacks 4-2

World Series:
Yankees over Astros 4-2

For the third time since 2010 and the second year in a row, the Yankees are World Series Champions.

Damn it.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:26 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I won Pitcher of the Year for 2014 for the NL, that's the second time I've won the award, but the first time I won it was in the AL, so I've won it in both leagues now, 2010 and 2014. This was also the second year I won the ERA leader, but the first year I've gotten a Wins leader award, so that's pretty exciting.

There were no contract negotiations because I signed a 2 year deal with the Cubs last year, next year I'll definitely have some big contract decisions to make...

In the offseason, I paid off the rest of the money I still owed on the house, and still had a lot of money to spare, so I bought a motorcycle as well. I also spent some time with my wife, over the course of the last season I almost forgot I had one, but that doesn't really matter, right?

The Cubs traded Cain for Liriano in the offseason, Liriano was third place in strikeouts and won fielder of the year last year, maybe this is the change we needed.

Current Abilities:
101 Top Speed
C 142 Control
B 145 Stamina (it's pretty low, but I lead the league in innings pitched pretty much every year, so I guess I don't need to worry about it)
Level 2 Sinking Fastball
Level 5 Sinker
Level 2 Changeup
Level 1 Knuckle Curve
W/RISP 4
VS LH Batter 4
Poise 2
Release 2
Flyball Pitcher
Safe Pitch
Dr.K
Battler

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
cooldude1045 wrote:
I also spent some time with my wife, over the course of the last season I almost forgot I had one, but that doesn't really matter, right?

:lol: I laughed really hard at that. Hopefully you can get on a good team (the Yankees? :razz: ) next year, assuming the Cubs do bad again.

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:50 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '08: Wii and DS
BrewersFuzz wrote:
cooldude1045 wrote:
I also spent some time with my wife, over the course of the last season I almost forgot I had one, but that doesn't really matter, right?

:lol: I laughed really hard at that. Hopefully you can get on a good team (the Yankees? :razz: ) next year, assuming the Cubs do bad again.

I laughed a lot at that, too. This log rocks.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:07 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

BrewersFuzz wrote:
cooldude1045 wrote:

I will seriously consider joining the Yankees if they win the World Series again next year, and then offer me a contract of 1 year at 30 million, under any other conditions I just don't think I can.

I think I'll try keeping track of which teams score the most runs next year and try to join one of them. I don't know which league I would rather be in though. If I was in the AL last year I might have had the lead in strikeouts, but Zach Duke would have had the ERA leader and Pitcher of the Year still. I want to win a Triple Crown to have some historic accomplishment, but I don't think it'll happen at least until Sabathia's abilities decline.

I should have some more updates tomorrow, I would have done more while I was updating it earlier, but the game forces you to play Spring Training and I didn't feel like pitching for 12 innings. I think I'll just focus on improving control until it gets up to something pretty good. I could use a few more levels on the breaking pitches, but I can probably stand to wait a few years for those, and they do go up when you don't specifically train them, it's just really slow.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:53 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

The manager specified our aim this year was having a powerful offense, hopefully the team can actually manage that, other than Konerko (39 home runs, 1B Hitter of the Year) our offense was pretty bad most of last year.

Spring Training 2015:

Game 1: 3 innings pitched, 1 hit, 0 runs, 5 strikeouts

Game 2: 3 innings pitched, 3 hits, 0 runs, 4 strikeouts

Game 3: 3 innings pitched, 3 hits, 0 runs, 4 strikeouts

Game 4: 3 innings pitched, 2 hits, 0 runs, 2 strikeouts

Despite having the Safe Pitch ability, literally every mistake pitch thrown (and there are a lot for some reason) goes right down the middle.

(God, Spring Training is annoying)

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:17 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

End of April stats: 3.15 ERA, 2-2 record, 40 strikeouts
Chicago Cubs record: 12-16, 6 games behind

The Cubs moved me to the #3 starter after the year I had? Pitcher of the Year, ERA leader, and win leader despite no run-support? I'm probably not going to re-sign with this team even with a good year now, that's just ridiculous. Beckett had an ERA of over 6 last year, why would you give him the #1 spot this year?

A good year... I have to admit I couldn't think that without laughing, if the Cubs ever have a good year, I'm sure I won't be around to see it. I haven't pitched my best that month, but I still have the 10th best ERA in the league and I can only see it getting better in a few months.

I really hate how wins for a pitcher are considered to be an important statistic, they're completely based on luck. The win leader in the MLB so far this year has an ERA over 6 and only about 19 innings pitched. I have half his ERA with twice his innings pitched but I don't have half his wins.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
cooldude1045 wrote:
I really hate how wins for a pitcher are considered to be an important statistic, they're completely based on luck. The win leader in the MLB so far this year has an ERA over 6 and only about 19 innings pitched. I have half his ERA with twice his innings pitched but I don't have half his wins.

I agree with this. To me, wins are really more of a, "Well, they're nice to have" stat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

End of May stats:
Chicago Cubs record: 31-25, 6 games behind

I won a Pitcher of the Week award for the fifth week of the season, awesome, I can't even remember if I've won one of those before. My winning week included me pitching 2 wins with a 0.50 ERA and 17 strikeouts, now that I look at it that way I shouldn't be surprised to win Player of the Week, still, starting pitchers don't win it often.

Wow, a 19-9 record for the month. I'm really hoping that the bad month was a fluke and not this month. If we keep up this kind of record on a monthly basis, we should be able to make it into the playoffs in at least a Wild Card spot, the Brewers are really tearing it up lately as well, so I'm not going to naively expect to take them down immediately, I'm hoping the Giants hit some bad streaks in the NL West to drop out of the Wild Card race so we have less competition, it could be interesting to see what happens.

The Athletics are leading the MLB... You have to be kidding me, the ATHLETICS are LEADING the MLB! What the hell is going on here damn it? I left that team not two years ago because it was horrible, what the hell? And this isn't even some flukey point where they lead the Yankees by a game and fall into last place slowly, they are 7 GAMES ahead of the second place Brewers with a 44-12 record. 44-12... HOW?! They have an 18 game lead in their division and an 11 game lead among all AL teams. Apparently one of the better pitchers in this day and age leaving was the best thing that ever happened to that team. I might as well just stop questioning it... But... God damn, this is the ATHLETICS we're talking about.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:47 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

End of June stats: 3.18 ERA, 7-5 record, 111 strikeouts
Chicago Cubs record: 42-40, 9 games behind

The team has a chance to make the playoffs, I suppose, despite the horrible month we're just a game behind the Wild Card, if we can consistently have months like these and have a couple more amazing months in there we might make it somewhere, somehow, otherwise... No.

The Athletics lead the MLB by 9 games now with a 60-22 record, wow. I think I want to re-sign with them sometime, maybe. If I wind up signing with them again I won't quit on them just because of a few bad seasons, I'll probably want to stick with them until the end.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:54 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

End of July stats: 2.88 ERA, 9-7 record, 155 strikeouts
Chicago Cubs record: 56-51, 11 games behind

I made the All-Star Game yet again, as the NL starter. No big deal, I don't really care and I don't see why anyone else should.

The Cubs continue to frustrate me with their mediocre play, I could easily be a 20 game winner by the end of this year if I had run support, half my losses seem to be '1-0' or similar. They continue to stay in the worst possible spot of a playoff picture, staying at a point where you can't quite give up on the chance but it would take an absurd miracle to make it. Nothing this team has showed me convinces me that they would ever be capable of pulling off a miracle though. I would bet my only son that we don't make the playoffs while I'm here.

I've already broken my personal bests for shutouts and complete games this year, with 4 shutouts and 6 complete games.

The Athletics still lead the MLB by 9 games, with a 76-31 record...

Quote:
Hello

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next