Post subject: Steven Davis, Major League Hopeful
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:04 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Steven Davis is mainly a Second Baseman, but he can play Shortstop well and First and Third not so well, but he could be worse. Steven Davis was drafted out of an independent league at age 29; he would be 30 by the start of the next year, with the 5th draft pick. Scouts were overall impressed by his passion for the game, but noted he didn’t really excel at any particular area of it. The Tigers decided to take a chance in drafting him, to a $390,000 first year contract.

Profile:
Speedster
Utility Man
Rough Guy
Tenses Up In A Jam

Well, I did it, after working hard at my dream for more than 20 years, I finally have a contract, the majors could still be a long way away though, so there’s definitely no time to be celebrating. I need to be working on my weaknesses, practicing without rest as I’ve been doing for as long as I can remember. I need to finally show everybody who’s given up on me and my dream, family, friends, and other scouts.

Prior to my first official practice, I ran into someone, named Oakley, who’s also joined the franchise this year, he’s slightly younger than I am. He made a bet that the first one to make it to the majors would buy the other one dinner, I’m not really a betting man, but he never stopped talking for me to tell him, then he walked away.

After my second team practice, a reporter representing Power Pros Sports wanted to ask me and Oakley some questions, I was busy, hoping to get home early and exercise, but Oakley insisted I talk to her. She mistaked me for a Pitcher, and ran off, at least that’s over with. In our practices, I quickly noticed Oakley’s proficiency as a utility man, showing good experience at every position except Pitcher and Catcher, I’m doubting I’ll be able to reach the Major Leagues before him, but anything’s possible, and I’ll be more than satisfied to make it at all.

Quote:
Hello
Though I am not a coach, I can coach, please trust me!

Post subject: Re: Steven Davis, Major League Hopeful
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:26 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I was put in the starting lineup for our first spring training game against the Red Sox, I went 1-3 with a single in a 1-1 tie, the manager decided after the game that I was to start off the year in AAA, I hope I can earn a promotion someday, if not soon.
My coach came up to me and asked me if I wanted to donate money for my baseball accomplishments, I agreed to donate $500 per home run. The next day I found out he messed up and put $5,000, well, I’m not really a home run hitter, and I haven’t even made the majors yet, so a little mandatory donating isn’t going to stop me from swinging for the fences once in a while.

After my first game in AAA, I hit 0-3, Oakley told me he already got into the majors, he insisted I pay him $1,000; first of all, I never agreed to any bet in the first place, second of all, the bet was for food. I want to know where Oakley eats that one meal costs a thousand dollars, I knew he wouldn’t leave me alone, so I really had no choice, so I paid him, I hope we never see each other again.

Through the month of April, my AAA career hasn’t been going well at all, I’ve hit .084 for the month, with 1 RBI, and 1 stolen base. I want to say I’m in a slump, but it doesn’t feel like it, which is odd. I know I’m a decent hitter who can hold his own at the plate, I’ve always batted around .300 in every independent league I’ve been in, I know this is a whole ‘nother level, but I really hope I can pick this up soon. I’ve even had plenty of RBI chances, especially for a number 9 hitter, but I’ve choked in almost every single one of them. I’ve been practicing a lot, every time I’ve had access to my equipment, I’ve tried every approach and I just can’t seem to make solid contact, I really hope this will get better, or I can kiss my hopes of making the major leagues goodbye.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:22 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Ow, what a month of May. I’ll start off with the good stuff, I was able to pick up my batting average, bringing it up to a less than stellar .137, but still, it’s better, and it’s triple digits. I’ve even had a few multi-hit games, and a couple 2 game hitting streaks. Now for all the bad, injury troubles, I’ve gotten injured a lot, first time I met Nicole, who I kept in touch with in case of emergencies. After seeing her for a few times, I was injured again. I bought some compress pads to store in case of another injury, which happened soon after, could Nicole be sabotaging me when we meet up? I’ll have to proceed with caution. All in all I missed about 10 games of May. Moving on, stolen base troubles, I haven’t stolen another base, I’ve now been caught 6 times, and I’m a smart stealer too. I’ve only attempted one steal in which the pitcher threw a fastball. Several times I have been caught stealing, on a very slow breaking ball, low and almost bouncing, I guess I just don’t have the speed. Not having the speed to even steal second, however, is very bad news, when you consider, compared to my other skills, it seems to be my strong suit.

Ugh, I really can’t seem to catch a break at this level, at the end of June, I’m still only hitting an awful .145, I have managed to scratch out 7 total RBIs. I’ve also managed to successfully steal second a couple more times, bringing my stolen base count to 3, which fails to compare to my caught stealing count of 14. I managed a home run this month, hit 334 feet, and over the left field wall, it was the greatest feeling of my life, based on the look on the pitcher’s face, he knew he was facing one of the worst hitters in the league. I still really need to step it up, a .145 average and a home run a year isn’t going to get me promoted when they have Polanco up there at second base hitting .308 with 10 home runs.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
Interesting to follow a guy who actually seems to run into some failure, rather than all the other logs in which the character owns everybody. Nice work.

My Success Mode Players
Who (1B)
Terminator (CL)
ZackAttack (3B)
Panda (LF)
Newt (2B)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

After the month of July it seems my average will remain consistently bad unless I can actually improve someday, my average at the end of the month is back to .137. I also got injured twice in July, one injury will carry over into August. Right before the All Star break, I got traded to the Pirates, neither my former, nor my current manager would say who I was traded for. I had a decent 3 game stretch before the trade, hitting a 337 foot line drive home run, and stealing a base. I haven’t really done much better with the Pirates, but I did get one lucky swing, crushing a pitch 387 feet for my third home run of my AAA career. I stole a couple bases in July, increasing my total to 5 stolen bases.

In the last several games of August, I did pretty good, getting my average up to .142, and getting a couple more RBIs. I didn’t get any stolen bases in August, though I had a lot of attempts, lowering my stolen base percentage in AAA to .179. Not a great month, but it could have been worse. At the end of the month the coach came up to me and asked me if I knew about the September call-ups, obviously I knew about them, I’m a AAA player desperate for any chance at one game in the Majors, but to humor him I had him explain it to me, I wasn’t really paying attention to him as I already knew about what he was explaining, one part that caught my ear was something like “You’re already in the Major Leagues, so don’t let those AAA players get ahead of you!”, I raised my eyebrow, wondering if he knew who I was, and how I’ve not even been issued a Major League uniform yet. I’m a bit confused, are they calling me up? After the year I’ve had could they really be giving me a shot at the Major Leagues? I’m not sure, I’ll have to wait and find out.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:25 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

It’s actually happened, I just found out, I’ve been called up for the month of September, I’m officially a Major Leaguer for the time being, there’s no telling how long that’s going to last though, or how much playing time I’ll get.

As a pinch hitter in the 8th inning, the result of my first at bat was a groundout to the first baseman, in extra innings, I got another at bat, in which I would ground out to the second baseman, we ended up winning 1-0, but I’m batting .000, unacceptable.

On the 7th of September I was sent back down to AAA, after 8 at bats without a hit, I hope that won’t be the only time I get in the Majors, it’s not exactly the greatest story to tell...

After being sent back down to AAA, I spent all of September just working on my swing, the Pirates clinched the Division, so I’ll have to keep an eye on how they do, but my own practice is priority, I need to bring up my average.

The Pirates lost the Division Series 3 games to 2 against the Mets, who would go on to win the World Series.

For a Halloween charity event, I donated $1,000, I just thought it wouldn’t be right to not donate and I don’t make the kind of money to donate more than that.

I picked Matthew this year to renew my contract, I don’t know any other agents anyway, Matthew got me a $440,000 contract for next year, which I gladly accepted.

I donated another $1,000 for a Thanksgiving event.

I felt especially generous in the Christmas season, donating $10,000, I better be careful to make sure I keep some money for myself, it seems to make the AAA coach like me more, which could benefit me in the future. He also made me dress up as Santa, but that wasn’t so bad either.

This year, I agreed to a $500 per home run donation again, I wonder if I’ll have to donate anything this year?

After a decent spring training, the manager stuck me in AAA again, I can’t really say I’m surprised, with Sanchez at second base up there I’m not ashamed to say it would be stupid to replace him with me, those kind of moves cost you your chance at making the playoffs.

Opening Day Year 2 Stats:

TRJ: 2
CON: 6 (E)
PWR: 37 (F)
RUN SPD: 12 (B)
ARM STR: 4 (F)
FLD: 5 (F)
E RES: 7 (E)
Timely Whiff

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:31 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
This is really interesting, keep it going!

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:25 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

How many times one person can be injured is a serious question for me at this point. Throughout the month of April I’ve been injured another three times. I’ve had more than six checkups this month and there is apparently still nothing wrong with me. So far this year I’m hitting .190, which is fair enough for my low standards at this point. I’ve also driven in three RBIs and stolen one base.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:42 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Brewers
Console '07: Don't Own
So... will this be continued? :)

Inaugural Member of the 10,000 Post Cult

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:04 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

I hope so, I was just reading through this, and it's really good! I like the way the stuff is written and it's good that he's, well, you know, not good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

BrewersFuzz wrote:
So... will this be continued? :)

Maybe, the injuries are getting really annoying. He's not even supposed to be injury prone.

I might see if I can do any updates for the other one too.

I just don't really feel like having something like:

BrewersFuzz wrote:
This is really interesting, keep it going!

be the last post before randomly abandoning the whole thing.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:32 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I started off great in the month of May, if only I could show any consistency. My average rose to somewhere near .240, but after a couple more injuries, I had plenty of hitless streaks. Over the course of the month, I was only able to add one more steal to my total, and 4 more RBIs. Two of those RBIs came on one good swing, I managed to hit one over the fence, 403 feet to left field for my first home run this year. It's too bad that, with my luck, with all the 0-0 ties happening (enough to make it look like a soccer league), my two run home run came in a 5-2 loss. By the end of the month, my average managed to stay one point above what it was at the end of the last month.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
This is really good, but since when it is even possible to get injured that much?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:20 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

detroittigers15 wrote:
This is really good, but since when it is even possible to get injured that much?

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with age, most people start at the youngest age possible, and this guy's 31, I still don't think that should account for it. I kept getting injured on the road so I couldn't even use the Compress Pads to speed up injury healing.

I really thought I had a chance of working my way to the Major Leagues after how great I started that month, but I wound up back where I started. Maybe if I could stop getting injured I'd be able to get into a rhythm and keep consistent.

Oddly enough, I was getting more hits at the bottom end of the motivation. I did hit the home run at the top end though.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:45 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Are you simulating a lot of games? My players usually tend to get hurt more often in simulated games.