All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Player Log: Casey Holmes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:56 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Sony PS2
Okay, here we go. Casey Holmes 2: Starting Pitcher Boogaloo.

I decided to remake my pitcher because I was simply having too many issues with my infield. So I started a new pitcher in success mode and just so happened make the strongest player I've ever produced.

105 MPH Fastball
L. 1 Two-Seam Fastball
L. 1 Cut Fastball
L. 7 Bender (Original Curveball, slower)
L. 7 Change-Up
L. 7 Knuckleball

180 Control
255 Stamina
Every blue trait minus Gyroball. Bunt Master, Throwing 4, Gold Glover, Barehand Catch, and Pivot Man (no clue how I got that one).
C - Run Speed
A - Arm Strength
A - Fielding
D - Error Res.

The first lesson I learned with my pitcher is to stop throwing change-ups low and in. Let the career begin.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:29 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Reds
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Dude, was he a genius?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:51 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Braves
Trich wrote:
The first lesson I learned with my pitcher is to stop throwing change-ups low and in. Let the career begin.

I wish my catcher on my team would figure that out.........

And this looks to be epic.

"You know the key to running a convicing bluff? Its, every once in a while, you've got to be holding all the cards."
-Ian, to Ben, in National Treasure

"Not all leader are elected, Finn. Some just rise to the occassion."
-Wayne, to Finn, in the book Kingdom Keepers II by Ridley Pearson

LET'S GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:51 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

He actually started out with poor sense, ha. I've gotten pretty good at making pitchers looking for the most comfortable combination of things that work for me. I improved him up to good sense, got everything I needed out of the way, then very patiently began to work up my stats. The kicker to this play through was getting a successful Dr. Goodjob (my first in the 2008 version) which let me improve all of my defensive stats so high. I could have boosted up my two-seam and cutter, but I like to have something to work on during MyLife mode. Normally I can easily get all of the other stats though.

I've played about two months of my rookie campaign so far and it's fair to say that this is the pitcher I've been waiting for. 8-0 with a 0.12 ERA in 11 starts for a pretty mediocre Philadelphia team. I lead the league with 139 strike outs and have only given up one earned run. My extra focus on defensive stats has paid off so far. Balls that would dribble past the mound for weak hits I can trust to field now. The highlight of the season so far was May 3rd when I threw a perfect game against the Giants.

As of May 25th we're in 4th place at a lackluster 24-28. Recently Roy Halladay, Marko Scutaro, and Buck Coats were traded to the Cubs for Mike Fontenot. I'm on the DL for 2 more days with a jammed finger, but then it's time to push for the all-star game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:58 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Reds
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Quote:
The kicker to this play through was getting a successful Dr. Goodjob (my first in the 2008 version)

The trick is to not sign the form. I've gone something like 8 for 9 with that stragety. Even then, the best I made was.
B stam
C control
7 Slider
3 H-Slider
2 Knuckle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:45 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

It took me quite a bit of trial and error to figure out how make really good pitchers. I could probably outline my methods for you if you'd like. I prefer to build pitchers with intimidator rather than gyroball. Patty's storyline takes up a lot more time and gyroball is cool, but I prefer having the extra time that doing Lucy's arc allows. I take advantage of getting all of my traits via events that I can, getting my sense up to good early, getting a gambler's ring early, and getting two secrets of pitching from Jaw. It can take a lot of patience, but it usually gets strong results.

I finished my rookie campaign going 25-1 with a 0.76 ERA for the 3rd place Phillies (84-78). I won the NL Cy Young posting 398 strike outs to 0 walks. I added a no hitter 7/3/08 to go with my perfect game. I've also become a master golfer and went $500,000 in debt for charity. I signed a $1.85 mil contract though, and that took some of the sting out of that. In the 2009 spring training I picked up a Screwball to compliment my other pitches. My defense sucks again, but that's why I put so much emphasis into making my pitcher defensively minded.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:54 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Sophomore Slump

So I have a problem with MyLife mode. Playing as a position player doesn't really seem to be a huge problem. Sure, you lose certain stats in unfair ways (Didn't get a hit today? Well you're certainly less intimidating.), but I have zero problem playing the game on expert. Especially since you can adjust the difficulty in order for you to not suck completely. Well, playing as a pitcher has been far more problematic on normal (let alone expert). I'm sure it's no secret around here that it seems like the difficulty gets bumped up by one every time you're being scouted by other teams (since difficulty is set to auto). Once fully scouted I can't really play without a titanic struggle. I can't pitch with power and I can't pitch with finesse. I can't at all rely on coming up with a big strikeout when I need to and that's a huge problem. I have the abilities, but they're useless when the opposition can always hit whatever you try to trick them with.

So I decided to set aside that file and start over. I simply cannot pitch effectively on that difficulty without just simming over my games. I restarted my pitcher on novice. Not that I want the game to be a pushover, but because I want to adjust it so that I can play competitively. Which is a shame because I got some interesting developments. I got traded to the Blue Jays half way through the 2009 season and had to watch as the Phillies won the world series. I was eager to get back into the post season and make them pay, but they didn't even start me in the 2010 post season.

My catcher ended up getting MVP, ROTY, Silver Slugger, All-Star and World Series MVP hitting .418 with 78 HR, 174 RBI with 38 SB in 117 games playing the entire season on expert difficulty lock-on 1 and fast pitches. I didn't walk once. The strike zone is so big it seems like NPC pitchers never miss it (or get calls against them when it's borderline).