All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Japanese Versions of MLB Power Pros
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
First of all, I apologize if someone else has posted this before.

Three years ago I saw an add in a magazine for MLB Power Pros and it reminded me of the original R.B.I. Baseball game for the NES. It looked so good and brought back so many memories that I bought it for my PS2 and loved it. When MLB Power Pros 2008 came out I immediately bought it and fell in love for a second time. I got heartbroken when MLB Power Pros 2009 didn't make it to the US and after months of waiting I'm no longer expecting to see MLBPP 2010 or its future incarnations here in the US.

According to my research, the first MLBPP was Jikkyou Powerful Pro Major League which only came out for the PS2 in Japan. JPPPML2 and JPPML3 came out in the US as MLBPP and MLBPP2008 respectively. JPPB2009 only came out in Japan (PS2 and Wii) and I believe it's the 2009 version of MLBPP. What I'n not sure about is if Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball NEXT is the 2010 version for MLBPP or not.

So, the reason I'm here is to ask you what do I need to do (besides purchasing them) to play the Japanese versions of MLB Power Pros on my PS2 or Wii? Which one is easier to hack? How to I hack them? Is JPPB2009 the 2009 version of MLBPP? Is JPPBNEXT the 2010 version of MLBPP? Where can I purchase affordable copies of the 2006, 2009 and 2010 Japanese versions? Will it be hard to play the Success and My Life modes if I don't know any Japanese?

Well, I appreciate any help you can give me.

By the way, anybody knows where where I can get the "world as a baseball" logo that appears when you load MLBPP2008? It is sweet and I would love to use it as my wallpaper and my avatar.

Thanks a million!!!

"What the $#@& am I supposed to do, go out there and let my $#@& players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the $#@& nickel-dime people who turn up? The $#@& don't even work. That's why they're out at the $#@& game. They oughta go out and get a $#@& job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a $#@& living. 85 percent of the $#@& world is working. The other 15 percent come out here. A $#@& playground for the $#@&. Rip them $#@&. Rip them $#@& $#@& like the $#@& players."

Cubs Mngr Lee Elia, April 29, 1983

Post subject: Re: Japanese Versions of MLB Power Pros
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:10 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Giants
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
Umm, if you get a basic knowledge of katakana and hiragana (the two japanese writing systems that aren't ultra-complex), you can understand quite a bit.
Add that with the fact you at least sort of know what's going on, and I'd say you could comprehend a decent amount of it.
Of course, I'm in my third year of learning Japanese at school and I only know about 20 kanji characters and a textbook or so of vocabulary, so I'm still left a little clueless as to what happened.

I did download a copy of JPY 3 (don't ask ;)) last year and played it a bit when I got bored.
The games are easy to comprehend, since home run is "homu ran" and strike is "sutoraiku" (also, pawapuro means Power Pro), but oncre I got to success mode, i had to guess at a lot of the things going on, though after going through each menu I found essentially where everything was (it was pretty limited, just practice, date (or something like that), skills, and options).

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

Post subject: Re: Japanese Versions of MLB Power Pros
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:13 pm 
Hey guys, I have done a little research on playing Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009.. Of course an NTSCJ PS2 or a modded NTSCU PS2 can play Japanese titles. In the case of the Wii, you options are a mod chip and the Wii Homebrew Channel with Gecko OS installed (the application that allows you to play import titles).

However, there is one other method. The PCSX2 emulation may be capable of running JPML2009, but I have read that it crashes after five minutes or so of in game play. As I have experience using PCSX2, I'm tempted to try it, but I just don't think it's compatible at this point...

Has anyone played JPML2009 on the PCSX2? That is truly the best option, since PS2 saves can be easily transferred on the PC using myMC, a PCSX2 save utility. It's essentially as simple as using a MAX Drive, you just don't need the drive!