All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction to Power Pro Kun Pocket
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and DS
This forum isn't really getting much use, so I figured I would post SOMETHING, since I know a decent bit about the series. (READ: Almost nothing about the characters and storylines, mostly the gameplay. So just bear with me.)

I guess I'll just do this like a gallery because I started this thing by taking a heckuvalota screenshots.

Title Screen, like every game must have. Being on the GBC it has the distinction of not shouting out the title of the game when you push start. Instead, just a little sound effect.

Success mode start-up screen, another common thing throughout the series. Once you start saving files (ironically there are 3 per cart, while MLB only has 1) it's replaced by different new game, continue game, and delete game menus.

One of the menu choices after slecting your name and position. As a pitcher you have the decision of being left or right handed, and to throw overhand, sidearm, or underhand. Talk about choices...you then select your favorite team like in the rest of the series.

Your profile card. Mostly just a nice touch but also helps in confirming your selections.

The introduction to the storyline. The hero become a student at his new high school, and soon realizes it's rather poor. (As in, low on funding) He is introduced to the class and meets Kameda, the second glasses-wearing sidekick ever. Then there's an epic scene and the hero...says something. Maybe saying the school will win Koshien, Japan's largest high school baseball tournament, or something.

The storyline is split into 3 parts of unequal portions. (September-April, April-April, April-September(I think)) Each one is separated by one of these creepy screens.

The hero is introduced to Goridou, a second year first baseman. He punches your hero a lot. He's also a team captain in some of the console games.

Your base stats. Not too shabby For a beginning high schooler. Pitchers gain stats in weird ways, though. Each workout directly increases a pitcher's stat. Weight lifting, jogging, and stretching increase stamina, target practice increases control, and breaking ball practice allows you to improve a breaking ball's level by 1 after a few workouts. As a bonus, some even give some stength and technique. (Weight lifting actually gives a TON of strength over the long run, in addition to stamina.) There are also workouts to increase top speed and also fielding abilities.

It looks like I accidentally lost some screenshots, because they skip directly to here. :oops: Some epic explosion occurs, there goes your team.

Your sponsor shows up after the scene, and Garidou leaves you. Things are not looking good...

Well, at least Kameda joins you, but he's only one of the possible fielders. Your teacher also joins as manager.

You can call her for a significant boost in motivation. And no, she does not fall in love with you. :P

It's good to have your guy motivated; he gets a 25% strength bonus every workout! That really adds up.

Hirayama automatically joins your team on this week. Depending on what position your hero is (pitcher or fielder) he is a fielder or a pitcher. Trust me, he's much better as a pitcher...

Your character gets injured! This is very common unless your character's vitality is COMPLETELY full. (The top row of hearts) Or if you have a lot of your guts meter full. (The lower row of hearts. Stretching is the most efficient way to fill it.)

You never get injured "for real" during the entire first part of the year. For now you only suffer minor stat penalties each time you're injured, so yes, you can do the entire first part without ANY rest.

Matsukawa introduces himself. He's the pitcher for the Dragonflies, though in the console series he is sometimes seen fielding.

Every new year, your best friend (Kameda or if you have a girlfriend) gives you a present or something. You receive either a motivation boost and some points if it's good, but sometimes you'll get an unlucky one, giving you a few bad statuses and a motivation decrease.

On the topic of girlfriends a lot of them are met solely on random events.

Our character after a year of nonstop weight training. He's built up considerable batting power (0-82!) and stamina!

Well, we've only got a month left, so I better fetch a few players to meet the minimum of 9.

All of the recruitable teammates are found inside different parts of the school. For now we'll just get some of the more useful ones.

Bob will join but only if you defeat him and his teammates in a challenge.

Well, that's not very fair. (Trust me it gets much worse near the middle.)

But he scores on Bob and it all works out.

Next up Murakami. He's all about power, and challenges you to survive 60 seconds worth of his blows.

You have quite a few of these to avoid for a minute, but it's not too hard. It's significantly easier with Japanese knowledge, of course.

And...I'm out of screenshots, so that'll be all for now. Sorry I couldn't do a very good job since I'm not literate in Japanese, but I did the best I could. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Introduction to Power Pro Kun Pocket
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:34 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
I wanted to get one of the Japanese games for gameboy, but I will have no idea what it will say. I think there is a site that does japanese baseball video game translating but I can't remember it right now. Also, can I use this on an American GBA or does it have to be Japanese GBA?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I don't know of a site that has translated any of the games in the series. I just don't think the series has generated enough interest.

You can play the portable games in the series on US handhelds, but consoles usually have some sort of region lock, and require a device or modification.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:00 pm 
Ace
Ace

SRC wrote:
I don't know of a site that has translated any of the games in the series. I just don't think the series has generated enough interest.

You can play the portable games in the series on US handhelds, but consoles usually have some sort of region lock, and require a device or modification.

Okay cool, thanks. BTW, nice write up on this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:27 pm 
Ace
Ace

Console '08: Nintendo Wii
I've never seen another Power Pros. Thanks for the info and pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:12 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Nicely written. To add a bit to the storyline, their high school is run down by teenage gangs rather than being financially challenged; The highschool name Goku-aku means "Badass". The baseball team being no exception is controlled by punks, untill you decide to get rid of the senior students by blowing up the school. As the new captain you have to recruit members from scratch.

PPKP has multiple endings and there's usually a cannon one whose storyline continues on to subsequent PPKP games. In 1's case, it's the one in which you marry the creepy stalker Norika. Tomomi is also a key figure in later games but in the cannon ending she ends up with Kameda instead of you :) Power Pro Kun Pocket Timeline

BTW, my avatar is identical to the 11th screenshot. It's from PPKP1 re-released on GBA as PPKP1+2.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the background info Odawali. :mrgreen: I didn't think the explosion was that significant. The school name comes to no surprise, because of the purple and black uniforms and the creepy senior you see in the beginning.

I know of Norika. If your character meets her early, enough her "dates" can mean the end of your chances of having a good character. But at least you get an amusing wedding scene and your character becomes Robocop in the future.

I think PPKP 1+2 was just a cruel joke to people that complained the original was too easy. >_> I still haven't figured out how to unlock the second game on the cart, but then again I gave up after beating the champion team and the outrageously good version of Susumu.

Stats like that would make Albert Pujols want to cry. Keep in mind his stats are also well above average in both batting and fielding.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:35 pm 
Ace
Ace

SRC wrote:
Thanks for the background info Odawali. :mrgreen: I didn't think the explosion was that significant. The school name comes to no surprise, because of the purple and black uniforms and the creepy senior you see in the beginning.

I know of Norika. If your character meets her early, enough her "dates" can mean the end of your chances of having a good character. But at least you get an amusing wedding scene and your character becomes Robocop in the future.

I think PPKP 1+2 was just a cruel joke to people that complained the original was too easy. >_> I still haven't figured out how to unlock the second game on the cart, but then again I gave up after beating the champion team and the outrageously good version of Susumu.

Stats like that would make Albert Pujols want to cry. Keep in mind his stats are also well above average in both batting and fielding.

That dude is good, 96 mph, a lot of stamina, a lot of control, and some good breaking balls.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:04 pm 
Ace
Ace

odawali wrote:
Nicely written. To add a bit to the storyline, their high school is run down by teenage gangs rather than being financially challenged; The highschool name Goku-aku means "Badass". The baseball team being no exception is controlled by punks, untill you decide to get rid of the senior students by blowing up the school. As the new captain you have to recruit members from scratch.

PPKP has multiple endings and there's usually a cannon one whose storyline continues on to subsequent PPKP games. In 1's case, it's the one in which you marry the creepy stalker Norika. Tomomi is also a key figure in later games but in the cannon ending she ends up with Kameda instead of you :) Power Pro Kun Pocket Timeline

BTW, my avatar is identical to the 11th screenshot. It's from PPKP1 re-released on GBA as PPKP1+2.

Lol, I wish I could read Japanese, it seems like their storylines are funny. It also seems like it might be a little harder since I would have to gather a team by myself, while in the american version we already have a team.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:20 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Yeah, the storyline is deifnitely more outlandish compared to the main series. Less baseball, more drama :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:59 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '07: Wii and PS2
To play power pro kun you need a GBA or ds. Handhelds have no region lock. Codebreaker for the GC and WII. PS@ you need a mod. I know because I have 12K for the GC and PPK 9/10 for the ds and portable for the psp. If I were you stick with the nintendo series and disks [unless handhelds].

http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Columbia_Dragons

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:18 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
The series looks pretty funny. And why are they dressed like police officers most of the time?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:23 am 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

Can you show us some actual Baseball Gameplay? Those graphics look really good for a GBC game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:20 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Indians
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
geez I can never beat this game...I always run out of time to get players.
any tips?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Diamondbacks
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
looks similar to my expansion mode topic.

D. 1997