Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: The New Knights | The Osaka Foxes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:26 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Wii and DS
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
Hey thx tdud c:

But yea, I was real busy w school and reaaall stressed, so that's why this has been dark for like a month. Updates to come soon tho, so watch out!

ayy lmao

--

July 22, 2036
Sendai Station, Sendai
9:57

I stepped onto the platform, the dew of the morning was starting to disperse. The bustle of a summer’s Tuesday morning crowd was a bit overwhelming. The sun shone bright and hot despite the hour. I’ve never been to Sendai. I thought.

I was to meet the players today.

The first game--er, my first game--is tomorrow against the Eagles. They’ve always been a middle of the road team, and this year’s no different as they’re literally sitting in third with a 40-40 record. Even still… I’m nervous. The Foxes are sitting in last place with a… shit, I don’t remember.

“This is probably something I should know.” I said aloud. I found the closest bench to take a seat and opened my bag.

I pulled out my tablet and checked the standings. “Oh boy.”

Pacific League Standings:
1. Kyoto Knights (55-21-5)
2. Saitama Seibu Lions (38-37-6) 17 GB
3. Rakuten Golden Eagles (40-40-1) 17.5 GB
4. Chiba Lotte Marines (38-41-2) 18.5 GB
5. Fukushima Bears (34-44-3) 22 GB
6. Osaka Foxes (33-44-4) 22.5 GB

Well… It’s not hopeless, I suppose. Fifth or fourth place definitely seem… possible, at least.

I closed my laptop.

But damn, I’m surprised the Bears are doing so poorly this season. This was supposed to be their big year, but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. No one seems to be able to break down the Knights machine. I’ve gotta say, Laisei runs a real tight ship over there.

I threw my bag over my shoulder and left the station. The streets were just as busy as the train ride in. I suppose that made sense.

Miyagi Stadium, Sendai
11:50

Dammit, I can’t believe I forgot my lunch… I frantically rifled through my bag one final, futile time to find a noticeable lack of an insulated lunchbox. Welp, nothing I can do about it now.

The visiting manager’s office in Miyagi was beautiful, far better looking than my own at the run down Hotto Motto back in Kobe. I pulled out my laptop again and placed it on the desk. I figured it would be wise to watch some tapes on Shigenori Tanaka--tomorrow’s starting pitcher, and nephew of Masahiro Tanaka. He’s been on a tear lately and has an ERA of 2.20 for the season. Definitely someone to be feared, and naturally a tough opponent for my first game as a part of the organization.

The door to the locker room opened. I could hear voices of some of the (I would assume) players. I grabbed the knob of the office door.

Alright Azuma, you can do this. This is no different than what you’ve been doing. This is all stuff that you’re used to. All you have to do differently this time is introduce yourself. That’s it, right? Yeah… That’s it. No biggie. We can do this. Come on. …Open the door…

I pushed the door open with a great big exhale.

I was met with two young faces looking my direction.

“You must be Ryu!”

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:32 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Don't Own
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Vita) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
!!

happy to see this back tweav! and that's all I have to say about this update :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:47 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

July 22, 2036
Miyagi Stadium, Sendai
12:06

“You must be Ryu!” The taller one said. I was far too frazzled to even make an attempt to recognize who it was.
“Yep, that’s me.” I said, eyes averted.
“It’s a pleasure.” He walked over to me, “I’m Tomochika Kobayashi.” He extended his hand.

I shook it, “Nice to meet you, I’m Ryu Azu--uh, you already know that…” C’mon Ryu…
“Hahahaha! Yeah, I do. I’ve heard a little about you. You were with the Archers, right?”
“Yeah.”
“Nice! They’re doing pretty well for themselves. I actually went to school with Yoshimi, so I’ve been trying to at least periodically watch some of the highlights, heh.”
“Oh wow, that’s pretty cool.”
“Yeah, I’d like to think so! Oh!” He turned around, “That’s right! This is Taiji Izumi.”

I looked past Kobayashi to see what looked like an 11 year old boy changing into his uniform. He turned to me and waved, “nice to meet you, coach.”

“We all just call him ‘Kodomo.’ [kid]” Kobayashi whispered. He pulled away, “Poor bastard tore his achilles rounding first base last June. Definitely would’ve been a triple, too.”
“Heh, you give me too much credit.” Izumi, uh “Kodomo” rather, said without looking up. It seemed he was having some trouble taking off his shoe.
“Need some help there, pal?” Kobayashi asked without hesitation
“No, no, I’ve…” He pulled with a grunt, “guuhhot it. This freaking foot still gives me a lot of trouble.”
“So… uh,” I figured it was time to get to business, even though they were the only two here, “what time did you guys usually start practice with Fukuhara?”
“Well… hmm… We usually didn’t start until Suzuki got here.” Kobayashi said, hand on his chin
“*(censored)* asshole.” Izumi immediately added.
“Oh yeah, I read Fukuhara’s documents on him. He didn’t have much good to say.”
“That’s not surprising at all.” Izumi said
“Yeah,” Kobayashi slipped his shoes off, “Suzuki was always riding Fukuhara pretty hard. I mean, for God’s sake, Fukuhara wasn’t able to do like anything without running it by Suzuki first.”
“Oh. Great.” I wasn’t looking forward to meeting him at all.

“Tch, but hey, at least he usually rolls in like an hour late.” Izumi was clearly irked at the mere prospect of talking about Suzuki.

“Well, um,” I figured I should change the subject, “what about everyone else? When do they usually get here?”
“I wouldn’t be surprised if Abe showed up in like 15 minutes, but other than that it’s anyone’s guess.” Kobayashi, now fully uniformed, said while looking in his mirror and fixing his hair. “We’ve never really had a set schedule for practices. It’s more been like, I dunno, ‘freeform’? Kinda just show up and do what you want or can for a few hours and then go home.”
“That’s all you guys have been doing?” I was shocked.
“Yeah… Well, for the four years I’ve been here at least, yeah.”

Well… This isn’t going well at all…

Kobayashi grabbed his glove from his bag, “Kodomo and I are going to head out and play some catch now. Let us know if you need anything, Azuma!”

The doors swung closed as they entered the bowels of the stadium. And left me… Alone… And very nervous.

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:24 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
welp, the boi tweav are back it again.

はしれ すすめ ゆうきだして
やっちゃった でもね くじけないで
わっはっは そうさ えがおみせてよ
なみだ なんて ばいばばいさ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:08 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
Powerprosfan31 wrote:
Hey thx tdud c:

But yea, I was real busy w school and reaaall stressed, so that's why this has been dark for like a month. Updates to come soon tho, so watch out!

ayy lmao

It's only a month man, that's basically nothing

I'm excited to see just how bad this Suzuki guy truly is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:58 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

July 22, 2036
Miyagi Stadium, Sendai
12:42

“Am I seriously the only one here? Good *(censored)* God this team…”

The video I was watching on Tanaka was interrupted by a young voice and the slam of a heavy bag hitting the floor. I opened the door and emerged from the office.

“Uh, hello?” I sheepishly tried to get whoever it was’ attention.
He turned, “Gah!” and flinched. “Holy shi-- Who’re you?”
“Oh! Sorry! I’m Ryu… Uh, Ryu Azuma. The… The new manager… You’re Abe, right?”
“Yep, sure am.”
“Am I the only one here?” Abe said after an audible silence filled the room.
“Yea-- oh, uh, no. Not really, at least. Kobayashi and Izu--uh, Kodomo?--are out in--on, sorry, on the field playing--throwing, uhh… No, you’re not the only one here.”
Goddamn, pull it together Ryu!
“Kodomo and Kobayashi are here? That’s no surprise, they’re usually first.” Abe took out his phone and wallet and put them in his locker, “I’m surprised those two haven’t made it official yet, heh.” He said under his breath. “So,” he turned to me once again, “you’re our new manager? A lot younger than I expected.” He put his hand over his mouth, “why the *(censored)* did you come to this team, man? We’re pretty bad.”
“Well, uh, I mean… I was made an offer that I couldn’t refuse, and--”
“Yeah, but” he interrupted me, “the Foxes? Dude, you had to’ve been pretty damn desperate for a job. I mean, God, you’ll probably get fired at the end of the year.”
“...”

I had no response. There was no response. I mean, this is and always has been my dream--to manage an NPB team. And here I am. This certainly isn’t what I expected. The dullness of the team, the unwillingness to play… Hell, the unwillingness to even be here. Kobayashi and Izumi seemed pretty genuine, but according to Fukuhara’s papers, it’s pretty much only those two who’re like that. …I’m nervous. Is this what’s awaiting me? Is Abe just the tip of the iceberg for this team? I’ve heard nothing but bad about Suzuki and I haven’t even met him yet. I want to go home… I don’t want to be here…

By the time I had come out of my head I was alone once again. Abe’s locker was filled with his street clothes, so I would assume that he joined Kobayashi and Izumi out on the field, but I had no idea, and frankly, I didn't care.

And really, that was not a good thing.

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:03 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Oh man, it's looking desolate. What would Jack do?

looking forward to seeing how this unfolds, I'm sure the slow burn will be sweet for Ryu in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:34 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

philliesfan134 wrote:
Oh man, it's looking desolate. What would Jack do?

looking forward to seeing how this unfolds, I'm sure the slow burn will be sweet for Ryu in the end.

hopefully!!

--

July 22, 2036
Miyagi Stadium, Sendai
13:09

“...right and I suppose that's what he wanted?”

I heard yet another solitary voice enter the creaking door to the otherwise silent clubhouse. I opened my office to check out who it was.

It was Yoshi Imanami, the team’s de facto leader and catcher. He had his phone to his ear. He didn't seem to notice me poking my head out of my office.

“Oh, yeah. Sure. … No of course I'm not saying that. Listen… No… Goddamn, you're really not giving me much here.”

His conversation wasn't going anywhere. It was hard to discern what (or even who) he could possibly be talking about.

“Right. Yep. Okay! You don't have to tell me that shit every day, alright? I'm fine. Yes, I kno-- I'm fine! Goodb-- I said goodbye!” He pressed the screen of his phone with authority, threw it with shocking force into his bag, and sat forcibly onto one of the benches.

Reckless abandon for his phone, huh? That looked pretty expensive, too…

“Why does she always--” he looked up. We met eyes. “Who… Oh, so you're Azuma?”
“Seems I don't need to introduce myself then.” I walked over to where he was sitting, “nice to meet you, Imanami.”
“Same here.” He shook my hand, “Sorry if you heard all of that, it's just that my sister keeps telling me I should--gah, you don't care about this shit.”
“Wha? No, no! Please, I'm all ears.”
“It's whatever, man. Don't worry about it.” He sighed, “anybody else besides Kobayashi and Kodomo here yet?”
“Oh, you saw them?”
“Hah! No, they're just always the first two here, it seems.”
“Hunh, well then yeah, Abe’s here and I think that's it. Unless some others snuck in while I wasn't watching.”
“Sounds about right. I would expect the bulk of the team to come in around 14:00. Well, probably, at least.”

Even though I had already been told the players roll in whenever they wanted, the fact that most of them didn't show up until 14:00 shocked me. Archers’ practices started promptly at 10:00, per Laisei’s instruction and Knights’ practices even earlier than that. I'm pretty sure it was in place to keep the kids from spending every night out drinking, but… who knows.

“That's, uh… That's pretty late, huh?”
“You're telling me. It's a pain in the ass to wait around doing nothing until people start showing up. Most of my practice this season has been long toss with Abe. Like, that doesn't make any *(censored)* sense. At least I have Asao to keep me company in the dugout when the pitchers finally show up.” Imanami stood up and pulled off his hoodie.
“Oh yeah, he's the backup catcher, right?”
“Yeah.” He freed himself from his hoodie, “ahh, yeah, he's my backup. But he's getting up there, so I play most games all the way through. He's great to have around, though. I love the gu--”

The door blasted open. Cigarette smoke flooded the locker room.

“*(censored)*, you're early today, huh?” Imanami said as he took off his socks.
“Buh! Figure’d I'd greet the new guy.”

My stomach dropped.

Suzuki...

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:21 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Astros
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Its Ichiro who's come back to lead the Foxes to win it all. Im calling it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rangers
I'm callin Ryu will win it, sorry tdudders.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:33 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Angels
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Tdud123 wrote:
Its Ichiro who's come back to lead the Foxes to win it all. Im calling it

No, it's obviously Kurt Suzuki and now Imanami is going to kill Kurt so he keeps his spot. I'm calling it.

Cleveland Browns : The Race For Last Place
2018 MLBPP Update

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Favorite Team: Rangers
I don't see Suzuki on this guys, I just know Ryu has to have this one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:28 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

July 22, 2036
Miyagi Stadium, Sendai
13:23

A massive man stood in shadow in the doorway. The illuminated cigarette in his mouth lit up his dulled face. The “No Smoking” sign to his immediate left seemed to go completely unnoticed.

This must be him…

“You must be Ryu Azuma!” He yelled. His gruff voice pierced any chance of getting the calm atmosphere back. “Welcome aboard!”

He walked over to where Imanami and I were sitting. “Yoshi.” The venom in Suzuki’s voice could almost be touched.
“Suzuki.” Slid out of Imanami’s mouth.

He sat on the bench right next to me with enough force that I lost my balance.

“Word is Fukuhara got fired for drinking and really beating the shit out of his girl. That true?” Suzuki hit me out of the blue.
“I, uh… I don't think I can…”
“... What? You can't answer?”
“Well, I mean, I don't know the whole story… So, uh…” I shrunk next to his imposing frame.

I tried to look at Imanami for some moral support, but he was busy buttoning up his uniform. He didn't seem like he was in any mood to strike up conversation with Suzuki anyways.

“Buhahaha!!” Suzuki bellowed, “you've got to be kidding me! The boss replaces that useless, shriveled old man with a sniveling, scrawny kid?! That's pretty *(censored)* weak.”
“Suzuki, lay off. He jus--” Imanami tried to interject.
“He what? He just what? Just got here? Yeah no shit, he just got here. How stupid do you think I am?”
“I really don't understand why you put so much effort into pissing off everyone around you.” Imanami coolly said.

Without hesitation, Suzuki jumped to his feet and whipped his cigarette to the ground, almost hitting my pants in the process.

“Yeah, and I don't understand how you're still *(censored)* playing. It's been what, 4 years? and you still haven't managed to get more than 12 home runs?! What kind of ‘plus-power catcher’ bullshit catcher are you? You disappoint every single time you put on the gear. Not just me, not just the team, not just the whole *(censored)* city. But you disappoint your family, and more importantly yourself. Don't think you hide it well, kiddo. That shit’s plastered on your face every time you walk in.”

Imanami kept his eyes glued to the floor as Suzuki ripped into him. “...*(censored)* off, would you?” He grabbed his mitt from his bag and started for the exit to the field. “Maybe I wouldn't have to give you a hard time if you actually did your goddamn job.”

Imanami left without another word.

Suzuki turned his attention to me. I, no doubt, was shivering just looking into his dead, drab grey eyes. “And you? It's been maybe 5 minutes and you still haven't been able to get out a whole sentence! That's pretty funny, actually. Buhahahaha!!” His horrible laugh shook my bones. “Seems like nothing's changing here.”

Suzuki picked up his cigarette. “Psh, what a waste.” He flicked it at my face.
“Gah!” I screamed involuntary and flinched backwards… Which led to me falling off the bench and hitting the back of my head on the ground.

“I'm going home. No use being here it seems.” I watched as Suzuki’s heavy footsteps and subsequently the rest of his heavy frame left the upside down room. The door slammed as he shut it.

Holy shit.

The cold floor did well to dull the impending pain in my head. I slowly got back to my feet and slinked back into my office.

I think I'm good on meeting new people for today…

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:20 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

July 22, 2036
Miyagi Stadium, Sendai
16:59

Only five other players showed up.

Sakuma Osada, Shoji Ohhara, Kazuki Hamazaki, Hideki Asao, and Tabito Iijima.

In the seven hours I was in the locker room, less than half of the team showed up for the final practice before the back half of the season.

That’s… Unacceptable. Unbelievable, even. This… Really is going about as badly as possible. Plus, goddamn, my head hurts.

My head was still aching from my embarrassingly pathetic fall off one of the benches after Suzuki threw a LIT cigarette at my face. I had the ice pack wrapped around my head with one of my ties that was still in my bag. If I wasn’t in such a terrible mood, I would’ve looked pretty damn cool.

-knockknock-

There was an unexpected knock at my door. I figured I was alone.

“Uh… Come in.”
“Hey there, Azuma.” Hideki Asao popped his head in. His checkered button up shirt and khaki shorts told me a lot about him.

Wow, he’s definitely a father.

“Oh, uh, hello Asao. What’s up?”
“Just wanted to come and introduce myself. Sorry I wasn’t able to earlier, haha, the wife needed some help getting the nursery set up. Nice tie, by the way.”
“Oh, huh?” I touched my head, “Oh, right, uh… Thanks. But, you mentioned a nursery?”
“Yeah! We’re having our second. She’s due sometime in early August. Pretty exciting stuff!”
“Wow, uh… Congratulations, Asao.” Nailed it.
“Heehee, thanks!” He pulled out his wallet, “This is Chisano, she just turned 5.”
“Well, she’s certainly very cute.” I had no idea how to respond
“Thank you,” Asao put on his best attempt at a cute face, “she gets it from me. HAHAHAHA!”
“Haha… I can tell.” His voracious laughter was a nice thing to hear on this otherwise shit day. ...Voracious? Is that the right word here…?

He put away his wallet and sat in the chair across from me.
“Listen, though, the actual reason I came in here to ask if you wanted to grab something to eat. You know, like an introductory meal to the team? My treat!”

Today’s been pretty terrible. I kinda just want to go home… But maybe this would be good for me? A nice introduction to one of the players… He is older than me, which is a bit weird… Maybe I’ll have a good time… Maybe he’ll show me somewhere new! I do need to find some new places to eat, and this is probably as good a chance as any to find a good spot. Asao seems like he’d have a good taste in food, after all.

“Uh… sure, yeah, sounds like a plan.”
“Excellent!” He quickly stood up.
“Just let me get my stuff first.”
“Of course!” He smiled wide, “I’ll wait out in the hallway.”
“Sounds good.”

He walked out.

I slipped my laptop back in my bag, grabbed my hat, and walked out the door myself and made sure I locked it up tight. Not like there’s anything in there to steal anyways.

I exited the locker room, bag in hand, stomach empty, and ready for my free meal.

But Asao was nowhere to be seen.
“Wow.” I said aloud, “This doesn’t surprise me at all.”

It made total sense, especially for today. Of cours-

“--right, honey. Love you too.” Seems I wasn’t alone. I could hear Asao’s voice from around the corner. I walked over to it.

He put his phone in his pocket and turned around, “Oh!” He had no idea I was there. “I… phew, don’t go scaring people like that, Azuma! You could give someone a heart attack!”
“Haha, sorry about that. You all set to go?” I asked
“Oh…” Asao turned around once again, “Well… about that. I, hm... “ He paused, “Well, that was my wife just now. On the, uh, on the phone. She’s not feeling too well, so I… Well, I really should be going home to see how she’s doing. I’m so sorry, coach! After all that I promised, too! Gah, how rude of me!”
“Oh, come on now. Don’t worry about it. We can always do another day.”
“Thank you, coach! Again, I’m soooo sorry!”

He ran with a surprising amount of pep for someone his size.

I was left in his dust, alone once again. Stomach still empty. Bag still in hand. And still pining for a free meal.

“Hah!” I couldn’t help but laugh

Figures.

I slowly made my way out of the labyrinthine hallways and back to the train.

Tomorrow’s our first game…

And it’s gonna *(censored)* suck.

Money can't buy life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:31 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Probably for the best.

You just know Azuma finally meets a nice, gracious player and yet some bad shit would happen anyway. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next