Post subject: Re: My Journey Through The 2009 MLB Power Pros Success Mode
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:34 pm 
Starter
Starter

Favorite Team: Royals
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Oh, good. Instead of highways that are nowhere near eachother in California (the green shield is a California State Highway shield), we have two highways that don't even exist. State Highway 69 had its designation changed in the 70s due to the signs constantly being stolen, and there is no Interstate 9 (yet - California 99 is potentially going to be upgraded to Interstate standards and receive the designation). /roadgeek

Brad Doty is My Homeboy

DAVID AIELLO HAS THE POWER~! HOMERUN~!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:17 am 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Day 5 Bonus

(WARNING: There is a bit of spoilers ahead for those of you who want to play the game, relating to a huge plot point. If you want to be spoiled, highlight the blank spot where there's supposed to be text. You've been warned.)

-Let's start August, shall we? I start off by getting some Top Speed practice in and getting a Hot Dog at Ducks.

-No cutscenes in that week. That is STRANGE.

-Starting off the second week of August, I get some strength training in, and get about 24 more strength points.

-Cutscene! I meet up with a little kid at the park. Right off the bat, he calls me "Grandpa." We're off to a wonderful start, folks.
--I get him right back and call him a baby, playfully of course. He says that he lost his ball up in the tree, and asks me to go get it. I ask him if it's the tree near us, and the kid says, "Yes, sister." OK, now he's starting to push my buttons.
--I now have three choices: climb the tree, give up, or touch. I obviously go with climbing the tree. I grab the ball, and give it back to him. He thanks me by saying I'm a "kind old man." Sigh. I lose three vitality points, but gain 4 strength points.

-I go to the gym to visit Hayley, and I do a little more tennis. In addition to the gains I've gotten earlier, I got a +1 motivation boost, as well. So that's awesome.

-With the added strength points I've gotten, I upgrade my Top Speed by 2 mph, to 142 km/h.

-I then go to the shop to buy a Gambler's Ticket. I thought I had enough money to get a Powerin in this trip, but that was not to be.

-Game time! We face off with the Gigantes at our place! I'm once again the starting pitcher.
--First scenario: runner on first after a 2-out single in the Top of the first. I strike out Morgan to end the inning.
--Second scenario: Leadoff single in the top of the second. I get a flyout to center and two strikeouts to end that threat.
--Third scenario: 1-out single in the top of the third. I get two strikeouts sandwiched around a stolen base to end the inning.
--Fourth scenario: Leadoff double in the top of the 4th. I strike out the side. Ho hum.
--Fifth scenario: Leadoff single in the top of the 5th. I get a groundout that's almost a double play, a strikeout looking, and a swinging strikeout to end the inning, and my outing. We win the game, 6-2.
--My final line: 5 IP, 12 K, 0 BB, 0 ER, and 5 hits. Not too shabby. I get 64 strength, technique, and breaking ball points, as well as 32 mentality points.

-With my earnings, I upgrade my knuckleball to Level 3, my run speed up to a C-10 (because I can), and my stamina and control up a few points, as well.

-I have no vitality whatsoever, so I might as well go have fun with Hayley. We do a different training this time: an intensive reflex exercise.
--I go ahead and do the exercise, and we move to the park. It looks like it's a quicktime event. Oh god.
--As she throws balls to the left and right, she moves in the direction she threw the ball, and I need to grab it with the same hand. She will throw ten balls at first, but if I'm perfect through 10, she'll keep going til I make a mistake. 100 seems to be the max.
--Quicktime events in Japanese. Help.
--Oh god. That was horrible. Remind me to never do that again. I lose 5 likablity points, my motivation goes down by one, but I gain 4 points of quickness and tech! There's that, right?

-I get back those likability points on my next turn, as I go back to the gym and play tennis with Hayley. That was a trainwreck.

-Week 4 of August has me meeting up with ol' Earthy-boy. Oh joy.
--I ask him if he's going to stay in America, and he replies by saying they wouldn't know the uniform he's wearing if he's in Japan. I then ask him that if he likes the Galaxy Sharks so much, why not join them? He retorts and asks if I think it'll take years for him to join the Sharks. Because by the time he'd make it, I'd be in the Majors already.
--I say that you don't know if you don't try. He says that he can't do it, and that he wants to win with me.
--I then ask him what happened in Japan, and I have to pitch against him again to find out. I sit his sorry ass down, and he says that he couldn't reach the Majors in Japan. He says my dream is too big for him when I ask if I should follow him or not, and that he he can't catch up to me anymore.
--Earthy-boy then reveals that he quit Japanese baseball.
--When I ask him why he did such a thing, he said that his pride got in the way of continuing to play baseball. He then walks away, dejected.

--From this event, I grab 9 strength, technique, and breaking ball points.

-There's a mysterious woman at the lake this time, so I take some time out to go and visit.
--This character looks like a combination hippie/mystic person. She exclaims that her body is soft and cute (Google Translate's words, not mine), and she jumps into the lake. She encourages me to jump in, too, but she gets back out of the water.
--However, because I saw her perform a dive into the lake, I have to pay a fee. Ugh. I decide to pay, and then she does another trick where she turns her head 180 degrees. I remark that she should probably call an ambulance, and then eventually, I'm forced to take her to her house.
--Apparently, this is Flu's older sister, I'm guessing. I ask why there's a picture of Flu on her table, and she remarks that it's her. Huh, what?
--Apparently, she changes her personality a lot. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, she's an innocent girl, and on other days, except Sunday she has adult fascinations. As for Sunday, a third Flu that I don't know takes control. Oh god.
--She mentions that she doesn't know what the third Flu does, but she ALWAYS FINDS BLOOD ON HER HANDS AFTERWARDS.
---SOMEONE TELL ME WHY I'M PLAYING THIS BEFORE 1 AM. THIS IS *(censored)* NIGHTMARE FUEL. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. THIS JUST GOT *(censored)* DARK, *(censored)* QUICKLY. 0 TO 100 QUICK.

--Of course, my character doesn't realize that the third Flu is a *(censored)*. KILLER, and asks if her face gets different at all. She then slaps me, and miraculously, the other Flu that I know shows up alongside her, and...what...huh...I don't understa-...
--I can't even with this arc anymore. Just what the hell is this arc?
--So, apparently, this person I'm talking to really IS the older sister of the Flu I know, and her name is Britt (or Bullet? I'm getting mixed signals.) Okay then...
--She explains the situation that is occurring to Flu, and in the end, I pay all $19 of my remaining money, and gain 4 likability points with this terrible joker of a girl.

-OK, I'm going to bed. *(censored)* THAT LAST SCENE STILL, THOUGH. COME ON, GAME. Was this why it wasn't released in America? That one line? Jesus Christ...

"Another year older, another year better at Power Pros!" -Me
"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"The Chronicles of Dish's Love Life. I'd read it." -BrewersFuzz
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Twitter: @robtoml_statman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:47 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Day 6

-After recovering from the nightmare fuel of the last event of yesterday, I finish off the 4th week of August by training with Hayley again.
--Or at least, I want to, but she wants me to do that damn reflex training again. HARD. PASS. I guess it's damned if I do, damned if I don't, because I lose 5 likability points either way.

-The first week of September marks the last regular season game against the Galaxy Sharks. I'm not sure if it's like 08, where if you win this, you go to a 9-inning, all-controlled throwdown with them, but we'll see. I'm the starter once again.
--Before the game, I run into Earthy-boy outside the stadium. I chastise him a bit for still wearing a Galaxy Sharks uniform and going to the game to support them, but then it's revealed that he's actually on the Galaxy Sharks now, like, for realz. My motivation goes up by 1, and the game begins.
--First scenario: Leadoff single in the top of the second. I face off with Earthy-boy to start things off, and I strike him out. I then get a foul pop-out to first, and a strikeout to end the inning.
--Second scenario: 2-out triple in the top of the 6th. I get a strikeout to end the threat.
--Third scenario: 1-out single in the Top of the 8th. I get a pop-out to SS, and that ends my day. We win the game, 6-2.
--My final line: 7.2 IP, 10 Ks, 0 BB, 0 ER, 3 hits. All in a day's work. I get 52 strength, technique, and breaking ball points, as well as 26 mentality points and an ability! that makes me good against pinch-hitters? I guess. It also mentions "Clutch Pitch 4?" I'll have to check that later. I get another ability, but I'll check it later.
--Earthy-boy is surprised that I beat him. He says he lost because he was a Galaxy Shark. He then realizes he probably lost because he wasn't named after a shark.
---That one got a good chuckle out of me, not gonna lie. lol.
--I remind him that the game is a team sport, and that he wasn't the only one who lost. We go back-and-forth on this for a while, and I then plead for him to come back to the game again. The scene ends there.

-Finally, the final scene has me outside the stadium with Rudy the scout, and you know what happens from here. He says that I could be able to aim for MVP in the Majors, and signs me to a Major League contract! I have passed Success Mode as a pitcher in MLBPP09!
--Because I'm a pitcher, I actually have three choices as to what role I am in the Majors, because it was never expressed during character creation. I answer "A Starter," and then the contract is signed.

-Epilogue time!
--Years later, Earthy-boy decided to go through the ranks himself to get to the Majors. He is intensely training to be the MLB MVP. He will continue to be a good rival and be my best friend.
--After the season, Job retired as Golden Apples GM, and is now a taxi driver. He's now super-famous, because he was originally in baseball.
--Marvin still plays and works hard with the Golden Apples. I believe that he'll come up to the Majors in a year's time.
--Joey quit baseball and is now a poet in training. What a genius can do, I will never understand.
--Hayley resumed her career as a pro tennis player, and is enjoying great success.
--As for me, I'm headed toward a new goal in the Majors, and am still practicing today in order to be the best baseball player in the world.

-My final abilities are as follows:

Hey, look! It's me!

--Top Speed: 142 km/h
--Control: D 130
--Stamina: B 129
--Lv. 3 Knuckleball
--Lv. 7 Slow Curve
--In terms of batting, my Run Speed is a C 11. So there's that.
--Special Abilities
---W/RISP 4
---VL4
---Consistency 4
---Recovery 4
---An ability that reads "It's difficult to get upset when it is driven". It's a 4-level ability. Is this the new Clutch ability that I mentioned earlier?
---Dr. K
---Battler
---Gd. Low Pitch
---Gd. Morale

--If you want to get the player I made here into your game, here's the PW!

Thanks for coming along on this brief journey with me. I might play Success by myself for a little while, but if, in the future, you want me to continue with this, let me know!

Also, 6000 PP GET!

Thanks for reading!

"Best way to get laid: Tell her you're the community manager of a baseball video game forum." -SkittleMonster
"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the *(censored)* they ended up." -Dan Besbris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:23 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Would love to see Success Mode with the other teams, if possible! Great job on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:01 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
Dish, there's a site that translates all parts of Jikkyou PP into English—except for Success Mode, sadly—so you could check there to clarify what certain abilities are.
http://www.powerprotranslation.com/spec ... kills.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:41 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Angels
That's trash for 2009.
Here''s the guides I use anyway:
http://kumicyou.sakura.ne.jp/pawameja-2009/
http://jp.wazap.com/game/22297/%E6%94%BB%E7%95%A5/
They are not translated, but tell the whole game.
https://nicoblog.org/genre/baseball/
Could also help you guys get the game and some others.

Cleveland Browns : The Race For Last Place
2018 MLBPP Update

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:55 pm 
Community Manager
Community Manager

COMING SOON: The Gigantes storyline.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:15 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
dishnet34 wrote:

!!!

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:34 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
dishnet34 wrote:

It's lit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2017 and 2018 MLBPPW Fantasy Football League Champion

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Marlins
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
I just got MLBPP2009 using Dolphin and it is amazing. Already beat the success modes. Really hated the GuavaStrawberrys one though.