Post subject: Re: 2018 Success Mode
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:00 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I think my biggest issue with the success mode is still not being able to reload for better results. It would be fine if the mode was a little less luck dependent to compensate for that, but there's still just as much luck in trying to create a decent character. At the end of the mode there's a series of elimination games and if your team can win them all you get a lot of extra experience and many more opportunities for training and events to improve your character, but the team sucks so much that no matter what you do, they'll lose the first of the elimination games more often than not.

So far, I believe every time there's been a game where I got a hit in every at-bat, the team has lost.

Quote:
Hello
Though I am not a coach, I can coach, please trust me!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
Okay so here's some of the stuff I've picked up so far:

- It's important to impress the coach early on so you can get into the lineup ASAP. It looks like you have to get the coach eval into the green zone (somewhere around 90-95) to get playing time, and as you increase it further, your lineup spot will improve. (I've batted as high as 3rd)
- I believe you need scout eval to get into that green zone as well to pass. Possibly even higher though, I got mine well into the yellow (148) and he was drafted in the 7th round.

- When you get the homework event:
-- First choice ("Concentrate and study now") gives Motivation -1, Vitality -9, Study +3
-- Second choice ("Complete your homework") gives Vitality -5, Study +5
-- Third choice ("Whatever") gives Vitality +5, Study -1

- I got the Google Translate app and its photo feature is really useful for getting rough translations of a lot of the dialogue/choices in the game, as well as the names of the special abilities. (Though, you do get a lot of comical translations as well.)

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:13 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I think the first few games you can't play in at all, from what I understood, maybe you can't get the coaches eval up that high, don't really remember for sure. I just remember the not playing in those games seeming like too important of a plot event to be optional. Also, I think my first player that passed wound up around 80 or something scout eval, don't remember for sure, and it was probably before counting any from the last game, because my players all get eliminated in elimination games really easily. I don't remember at all where my third round drafted player had the scout eval, but they were the only one of my players to make it past the second elimination game, so that definitely had a lot to do with it.

As for the choices, I think it's possible for the first choice at least to have a better result, but generally it is worth avoiding.

Also, since someone else is playing the mode, I'd attach my success mode notes so far here, but I can't actually find a format the forum allows for attachments, so I guess that doesn't work. I think I tried pretty much all formats for text documents I could think of, I guess I can only attach images.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

cooldude1045 wrote:
I think the first few games you can't play in at all, from what I understood, maybe you can't get the coaches eval up that high, don't really remember for sure. I just remember the not playing in those games seeming like too important of a plot event to be optional. Also, I think my first player that passed wound up around 80 or something scout eval, don't remember for sure, and it was probably before counting any from the last game, because my players all get eliminated in elimination games really easily. I don't remember at all where my third round drafted player had the scout eval, but they were the only one of my players to make it past the second elimination game, so that definitely had a lot to do with it.

As for the choices, I think it's possible for the first choice at least to have a better result, but generally it is worth avoiding.

Also, since someone else is playing the mode, I'd attach my success mode notes so far here, but I can't actually find a format the forum allows for attachments, so I guess that doesn't work. I think I tried pretty much all formats for text documents I could think of, I guess I can only attach images.

Hmm. I could give you my email or something if that works.

I played in like the second game or so -- somewhere around November of year 2? But that was only because I locked in and focused on impressing the coach up to that point.

With the one that passed I won the Koshien championship in year 3, but lost the first elimination game after that. It looks like winning games has a significant boost for your scout eval

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:30 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I guess it's probably best to go after coach eval from the start then, assuming you still get scout eval from games that early.

I copied and pasted the notes I took into a google doc, the notes were just for personal use so they can be a bit messy (it does actually look worse pasted into here than in the original document because line breaks work differently) and not entirely consistent, but the information is there.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kPb ... sp=sharing

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:19 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

cooldude1045 wrote:
I guess it's probably best to go after coach eval from the start then, assuming you still get scout eval from games that early.

I copied and pasted the notes I took into a google doc, the notes were just for personal use so they can be a bit messy (it does actually look worse pasted into here than in the original document because line breaks work differently) and not entirely consistent, but the information is there.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kPb ... sp=sharing

Oh, good point on the scout. I'm not sure if you can get scout eval before you meet the scout for the first time. I'll have to play through more and try to pay more attention to some of those details next time.

Thanks for the notes btw!

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:38 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I think I like the gameplay of the second school option better, aside from how you're forced to be a pitcher with a second position, it seems pretty universally better than the first school. There's a money system in it that replaces studying, and it allows you to actually buy the items you want, many of which are extremely useful, rather than getting items through mostly chance. The elimination game system in that one works a lot better too, from the first elimination game, you're given a fair chance to control the team enough to be able to win, not forced to win a couple through pure chance before you're allowed to make a real impact.

The third school option might wind up being the best, I heard it was the easiest one to make good players in, but I just unlocked it, and I actually try to read the text and follow the story as I'm going through the mode, so it'll still take me a while to do that one and make a judgment on it.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:50 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

cooldude1045 wrote:
I think I like the gameplay of the second school option better, aside from how you're forced to be a pitcher with a second position, it seems pretty universally better than the first school. There's a money system in it that replaces studying, and it allows you to actually buy the items you want, many of which are extremely useful, rather than getting items through mostly chance. The elimination game system in that one works a lot better too, from the first elimination game, you're given a fair chance to control the team enough to be able to win, not forced to win a couple through pure chance before you're allowed to make a real impact.

The third school option might wind up being the best, I heard it was the easiest one to make good players in, but I just unlocked it, and I actually try to read the text and follow the story as I'm going through the mode, so it'll still take me a while to do that one and make a judgment on it.

Oo neat! I'll have to check that mode out soon

Also speaking of studying -- does it have any real impact on the game? I couldn't figure out anywhere that came into play but maybe I just wasn't reading enough of the dialogue

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:01 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Studying at the library increases your sense, and makes you do better on tests. Failing the tests comes with a strict penalty of basically all your vitality and action points, while doing well on them gets you bonus sense, coach eval, and a slight eval boost with all teammates.

There's also one event where you can challenge someone to a competition of who does better on a test, but it didn't seem important.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:02 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

cooldude1045 wrote:
Studying at the library increases your sense, and makes you do better on tests. Failing the tests comes with a strict penalty of basically all your vitality and action points, while doing well on them gets you bonus sense, coach eval, and a slight eval boost with all teammates.

There's also one event where you can challenge someone to a competition of who does better on a test, but it didn't seem important.

OH okay I was wondering what that event was that kept draining my vitality and action points.....

Is there a certain score you have to hit on that like... Study points bar to do well?

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

This page seems to suggest below 60 is fail, 60-69 is okay, and above 70 is best results.

It's also worth nothing for when you do the second school that you don't have to increase your coach eval to get to start in games there.

One thing I want to find out is if there's a way to get a better original pitch, there's an item you can bring that improves the rank of the pitch you can have by one, but that still just got me a C ranked original pitch, while, judging by the menu, there should be some way somehow to get an S ranked original pitch, and you can't make modifications to it later or anything. I'm trying to find the answers to that online but most of it just restates what I already knew.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:07 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

cooldude1045 wrote:
This page seems to suggest below 60 is fail, 60-69 is okay, and above 70 is best results.

It's also worth nothing for when you do the second school that you don't have to increase your coach eval to get to start in games there.

One thing I want to find out is if there's a way to get a better original pitch, there's an item you can bring that improves the rank of the pitch you can have by one, but that still just got me a C ranked original pitch, while, judging by the menu, there should be some way somehow to get an S ranked original pitch, and you can't make modifications to it later or anything. I'm trying to find the answers to that online but most of it just restates what I already knew.

Ooo! That's good to know, thank you!

It sounds like I should prioritise coach eval first, then academics, until I get those to 80 and 70 respectively (at least for pawapuro).

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:26 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Yeah, and the only other thing I can think of there is to get the Tourmaline ring from the crow as early as possible because it can save some vitality in training, but I don't know how useful it really is unless you're doing high-risk training a lot. Something useful for any character I guess would be not spending points until you're about to play a game, because if you raise your sense things get cheaper, so there's not much point in spending on something that's not immediately useful. I think there might be some events that check your skills in some ways, but I'm not sure, and it wouldn't seem like there are many, and they aren't particularly significant.

Also, I just started on the success mode for the last school and it looks like it goes to a maximum of well over 100 turns, so this could take a while.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

From what I can tell in this game, getting the doctor to show up is infinitely more common than any of the others I've played, but the chance of the surgery being a success without the charm is basically 0%.

Quote:
Hello

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:41 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Updated the document, it now has a bunch of event outcomes from the last school, but it's definitely way too complicated to ever figure out everything there, there's so much going on all the time.

I'll definitely still be able to add to it later, there's just no hope to make sense of it all, there's even some choice-based fishing minigame in there...

Quote:
Hello