Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

This subforum is strictly for the creation of self-made works of our members.
-->

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Round 2 | an OOTP 18 Log
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:15 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Rangers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2012
May 16, 2018

Houston Astros
(21-14) at Texas Rangers (19-15)

Matchup: LHP Dallas Keuchel (3-4, 4.84) vs. LHP Martin Perez (2-1, 4.50)

Game Recap

Martin Perez got shelled, Dallas Keuchel pitched eight-plus innings of one-run ball, and the Astros crushed the Rangers by the score of 13-1 Wednesday afternoon.

Pitching on short rest, the Houston lefty Keuchel (4-4) was masterful, allowing one run on six hits and two walks against four strikeouts in eight and one-third innings. On the opposite end of the spectrum was the Texas starter Perez (2-2), who surrendered eight runs in two and two-thirds innings and forced Rangers manager Finn Fletcher to dip into his depleted bullpen early. Thankfully, just two pitchers — plus shortstop Hanser Alberto — were able to cover the remainder of the game.

For the Astros, six players had multi-hit games, including Carlos Correa with three hits, Jose Altuve with two hits and three RBI, and A.J. Reed with two hits, a homer, and three RBI.

Alberto, who made his third appearance on the mound (retiring the only batter he faced), had his hitting streak snapped at 11 games, going 0 for 3 in the defeat. He has started 10 consecutive games at shortstop, but with incumbent starter Elvis Andrus nearing a return from a quad injury that has kept him out nearly a month, his playing time may soon be significantly decreased.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

"All people are good for something. The important thing is finding what." - Tom

post count doesn't matter

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:
i think we banned him cause he was an idiot
glad i never got banned for that

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:03 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Rangers Activate Andrus, Waive Choo

In a stunning sequence of moves, the Rangers have cut one of their highest-paid players.

Veteran outfielder Shin-Soo Choo was designated for assignment Thursday as the team seeks to find a way out of the massive contract signed back in 2014.

“We appreciate Choo’s leadership and everything he has done for us, but we reached a point where he simply wasn’t producing enough to justify keeping him on the roster,” manager and GM Finn Fletcher commented. Choo has hit a pathetic .202/.330/.281 this season while logging at-bats mostly as a DH. The South Korea native is coming off of a 2017 season that saw him struggle to produce, slashing a measly .237/.332/.371 in 113 games. However, the 35-year-old has a track record of getting on base and producing offensively, even if his legs don’t allow him to play regularly in the field. Still, most experts think Choo will pass through waivers unclaimed due to the $62 million salary owed to him over the next three seasons. It is unclear what the Rangers’ next move would be in that scenario. Choo is highly unlikely to accept a demotion to AAA, and an outright release would mean paying the remainder of that salary.

Announced as corresponding moves:

— OF/INF Ryan Rua was optioned to Round Rock (AAA). Rua saw action in 5 games with the Rangers this season, going 2 for 16 (.125) at the plate.
— RHP Tanner Scheppers was optioned to Round Rock. Scheppers pitched 3.1 innings in Wednesday’s game allowing one run on four hits, bringing his season totals to 5.1 innings with a 1.69 ERA. He is likely heading down for rest purposes.
— SS Elvis Andrus was activated from the 10-day DL. Andrus has not played since April 18, and is hitting just .182 on the season.
— LHP Mason Melotakis was recalled from Round Rock. Melotakis has pitched a combined 5.2 scoreless innings between AAA and the majors this year, with a 6:4 K/BB ratio.
— The contract of RHP Brandon McCarthy was purchased from Round Rock. McCarthy, 34, spent Spring Training with Texas before being traded and released. He was re-signed one week ago, and is expected to make a spot start tomorrow in place of struggling right-hander Andrew Cashner. McCarthy has not seen game action yet in 2018, and only made 8 appearances (0 starts) in 2017, posting a 6.91 ERA for the Dodgers.

Additionally, LHP Wandy Peralta and INF/OF Alexi Amarista were both outrighted to Round Rock after being designated for assignment earlier in the week.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 18, 2018

Texas Rangers (19-16) at Oakland Athletics (16-20)

Matchup: RHP Brandon McCarthy (2018 debut) vs. RHP Jharel Cotton (1-4, 4.78)

Game Recap

Brandon McCarthy tossed a complete game in his first start of the season, and the Rangers wrecked havoc on the bases in a 4-2 victory over Oakland.

McCarthy (1-0) needed 106 pitches to complete nine innings, allowing two runs on nine hits and one walk. The veteran right-hander did not strike out any batters in Friday’s game, but said he had no qualms after the game. “Maybe I didn’t have my best stuff, but I was able to keep the ball in the yard and they hit it to our fielders,” McCarthy said bluntly.

Offensively, Texas did most of its damage via stolen base, going 5 for 5 in that department against Oakland catcher Stephen Vogt. Delino DeShields swiped three bags, and Elvis Andrus’ steal of second — and subsequent advance to third on a throwing error — directly led to a run scored on an infield hit by Nomar Mazara.

Joey Gallo contributed as well, hitting a two-run homer off of Oakland’s Jharel Cotton (1-5) in the fourth inning. Cotton pitched 6.1 innings, allowing four runs (zero earned) with five strikeouts.

Also of note, Mazara hit out of the leadoff spot for the first time this season, and Andrus made his return from a quad injury that kept him out over a month, going 2 for 4 with a stolen base and a run scored.

Finn Fletcher told reporters after the game that he had settled on Andrew Cashner as his starting pitcher for Sunday’s game. The Rangers have already used ten different starters this season, but Cashner (3-2, 6.19) was believed to have been demoted to the bullpen. That appears not to be the case, and perhaps the righty was just dealing with a minor injury of some sort.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:48 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 19, 2018

Texas Rangers (20-16) at Oakland Athletics (16-21)

Matchup:
LHP Yohander Mendez (3-2, 5.19) vs. LHP Sean Manaea (3-2, 5.01)

Game Recap

The Rangers teed off on Sean Manaea, hitting four home runs en route to a 9-1 victory over the Athletics on Saturday night.

Joey Gallo, Rougned Odor, and Jonathan Lucroy all homered for Texas, with Lucroy going yard twice. All four homers came against Oakland starter Manaea (3-3), who allowed 9 runs in 6.1 innings of work, striking out seven. Odor and Lucroy homered back-to-back in the first inning.

Yohander Mendez went seven innings for the Rangers, giving up one run and adding five strikeouts, earning the win to improve to 4-2 on the season.

Right fielder Nomar Mazara left in the seventh inning for “precautionary reasons” due to a minor shoulder injury. He is listed as day-to-day but will likely sit out a couple games with the team not wishing to risk further injury.

After the game, RHP Jose Leclerc was optioned to Round Rock. Leclerc appeared once since being recalled earlier in the week, pitching two scoreless innings to lower his season ERA to 2.35. INF/OF Ryan Rua was recalled in his place. Rua has hit just .125 at the major-league level this season, but will provide depth with Mazara banged up and Elvis Andrus still being eased back into action following a DL stint.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:50 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 20, 2018

Texas Rangers (21-16) at Oakland Athletics (16-22)

Matchup: RHP Andrew Cashner (3-2, 6.19) vs. RHP Kendall Graveman (2-3, 5.87)

Game Recap

Andrew Cashner pitched seven innings of two-run ball, and the Rangers led wire-to-wire in a 5-2 victory to complete the series sweep of Oakland.

Cashner (4-2) threw 97 pitches and gave the Rangers’ bullpen even more rest, something that manager Finn Fletcher has liked recently.

“Our starters have really picked it up and given us some length the last week or so,” Fletcher said. “We got to the point where Matt [Bush] hadn’t pitched in 10 days, so we got him in there today. It’s a good problem to have when you’re more worried about getting guys some work than about having to rotate a bunch of arms up and down.”

The Rangers took an early lead, going up 3-0 in the first inning. Dalton Pompey executed a perfect squeeze bunt to score the game’s first run, and was promptly driven in by Rougned Odor, who scored on Adrian Beltre’s single. From there, they added insurance runs in the third and fifth innings.

Kendall Graveman (2-4) went just four innings, surrendering four runs and throwing only 76 pitches.

Postgame, the Rangers announced that outfielder Shin-Soo Choo had been granted his outright release. Choo, 35, was designated for assignment on Thursday, but the team apparently was unable to find a suitor on the trade market. Choo will now become a free agent and is able to negotiate with all 30 teams. The remaining salary on his contract — roughly $57 million — will be paid over the next 3 years and will stay on Texas’s books.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:04 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 21, 2018

Texas Rangers (22-16) at Seattle Mariners (18-20)

Matchup: LHP Cole Hamels (2-3, 7.33) vs. LHP Francisco Liriano (1-2, 5.30)

Game Recap

The Rangers got contributions from some unlikely sources in a 10-6 win over Seattle on a rainy Monday night.

With the roof closed at Safeco Field, the weather was unable to affect the game, and the two teams had a miniature slugfest. Robinson Chirinos had three hits (including a triple) and four RBI, Ryan Rua reached base four times and scored twice, and four players stole bases en route to Texas’s fourth consecutive victory.

Both starters struggled, with the Rangers’ Cole Hamels (3-3) coming out victorious, allowing six runs over 5.2 innings. Seattle’s Francisco Liriano (1-3) also allowed six runs, but only pitched 4.2 innings, with five walks leading to an early exit.

After the game, Finn Fletcher noted that Nomar Mazara had recovered from his shoulder injury and would be back in the lineup Tuesday. However, he said that the Rangers are going to stick with the five-man bench for the time being. “I like having that extra flexibility off the bench, whether it’s pinch-hitters, pinch-runners, defensive subs, or just being able to rotate in and out,” the 20-year-old said. “And our bullpen is still very well-rested. We only have one guy who’s pitched twice in the last week.”

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:09 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 22, 2018

Texas Rangers (23-16) at Seattle Mariners (18-21)

Matchup: LHP Martin Perez (2-2, 6.05) vs. RHP Josh Tomlin (3-3, 3.97)

Game Recap

Martin Perez spun a complete-game shutout, allowing just three hits, and the Rangers prevailed 6-0 for their fifth straight win.

Perez needed only 93 pitches to complete the game. He pounded the zone all night long, with zero walks allowed, but recorded just three strikeouts. He appeared to come down on his leg a bit awkwardly after his last pitch in the 9th inning, and Finn Fletcher said that he was going to be evaluated further.

The Texas offense was led by Adrian Beltre (three hits, two RBI) along with Rougned Odor (two hits, one RBI), Delino DeShields (one hit, two RBI), and Elvis Andrus (two hits, one run). For the second time in three games, Dalton Pompey drove in a run with a squeeze bunt.

The Rangers hope to complete a second straight sweep tomorrow night.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:09 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Perez to DL with left hamstring injury

Left-hander Martin Perez has been placed on the 10-day DL with a left hamstring strain, Finn Fletcher announced Wednesday morning. Perez is coming off of a complete-game shutout against Seattle. The injury occurred on Perez’s last pitch of the night, and Fletcher said that while the strain is fairly mild, Perez was likely to miss his next start anyways. This move allows the team to call up an additional player.

RHP Keone Kela was recalled from Triple-A Round Rock to replace Perez on the 25-man roster. Kela has been up and down in 2018, posting a 2.70 ERA in 7 appearances at Round Rock and a 2.25 ERA in 6 appearances for the Rangers.

It is unknown who will take Perez’s spot in the rotation for his next start on the 27th. The replacement is likely to be either Nick Martinez or Adrian Sampson.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:40 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 23, 2018

Texas Rangers (24-16) at Seattle Mariners (18-22)

Matchup: RHP Brandon McCarthy (1-0, 2.00) vs. LHP James Paxton (2-3, 4.84)

Game Recap

Brandon McCarthy turned in another quality start, Jonathan Lucroy and Joey Gallo homered, and the Rangers took down Seattle 4-2.

McCarthy improved to 2-0 with a solid start, going 6.2 innings and allowing 2 runs. He got into trouble in the seventh, but Alex Claudio stranded the bases loaded in a key moment of the game.

Lucroy was 2 for 4 on the day, with his homer coming in the fourth inning off of Seattle starter James Paxton (2-4). Gallo’s home run was of the pinch-hit variety, and came in the ninth inning off of Wade Davis, giving the Rangers a huge insurance run.

Odd moments in the game: Dalton Pompey stole second on a pitchout, and Jonathan Lucroy was called for catcher’s interference on what would have been the third out in the seventh (after both runs had already scored).

After completing their second consecutive sweep, the Rangers will head home for a long homestand, starting with four games against Tampa Bay.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:22 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 24, 2018

Tampa Bay Rays (23-17) at Texas Rangers (24-16)

Matchup:
RHP Jake Odorizzi (0-4, 5.35) vs. LHP Yohander Mendez (4-2, 4.54)

Linescore

TB…..
TEX…

Game Recap

Game was postponed and will be made up tomorrow as part of a doubleheader.

Also, we signed RHP Radhames Liz (0-0, 5.48 in 5 starts with CHC in 2018) and C Yadier Molina (has not played in 2018; .223/.278/.337 in 75 games with STL last year) to minor-league contracts, and assigned both to Triple-A Round Rock.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:53 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 25, 2018 (Game 1)

Tampa Bay Rays (23-17) at Texas Rangers (24-16)

Matchup:
RHP Jake Odorizzi (0-4, 5.35) vs. LHP Yohander Mendez (4-2, 4.54)

Linescore

TB…..0-2-0-0-2-0-0-0-0-0…4-10-0
TEX…1-3-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1…5-7-3

W: Alex Claudio (2-0) — 2 IP, 1 H, 4 K
L: Xavier Cedeno (2-4) — 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K

Game Recap

The Rangers picked up a thrilling extra-innings win, with Nomar Mazara leading the way offensively. Adrian Beltre drove in the winning run with a base hit to right, with an aggressive decision by manager Finn Fletcher to send Mazara from second paying off, as the young outfielder beat the throw from Chris Young.

On the day, Mazara was 3 for 4 with a home run, 3 RBI, 2 runs, and a walk.

“We’ve made it a big part of our plan offensively to be aggressive on the bases,” explained Fletcher postgame. “Stealing bases, taking the extra base going first to third, second to home… This was one of those opportunities. Look, if we send Nomar, and he doesn’t score, that’s on me.”

RHP Tanner Scheppers has been announced as the 26th man, and will be in uniform for the second game of the doubleheader.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:19 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 25, 2018 (Game 2)

Tampa Bay Rays (23-18) at Texas Rangers (25-16)

Matchup: LHP Blake Snell (3-2, 4.63) vs. RHP Andrew Cashner (4-2, 5.61)

Linescore

TB…..0-0-0-3-0-1-2-0-1…7-9-1
TEX…1-0-0-1-0-0-3-0-0…5-11-0

W: Snell (4-2) — 5 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 6 K
L: Cashner (4-3) — 6.2 IP, 8 H, 6 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 6 K
S: Alex Colome (2) — 2 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 2 K

Game Recap

The Rangers nearly mounted a comeback, but left the bases loaded — and a total of 23 runners on base — in a heartbreaking 7-5 loss to Tampa Bay.

With the bases loaded and two outs in the inning, pinch-hitter Dalton Pompey flied out to left field to end the game. For Texas, it was just another tough moment in a game that was filled with them — although first baseman Eric Hosmer did raise his average several points by going 4 for 5 at the dish, including a double.

Utility player Drew Robinson, who started in right field, hit his first major league home run in the seventh inning, a solo shot off of Ronald Belisario.

Catcher Robinson Chirinos suffered a minor leg injury in the game, and is day-to-day.

After the game, outfielder/infielder Ryan Rua (.115/.258/.154) was optioned to Round Rock (AAA). Catcher Jose Trevino (.323/.350/.417) was recalled and will likely serve as depth for the next few days.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:27 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 26, 2018

Tampa Bay Rays (24-18) at Texas Rangers (25-17)

Matchup:
RHP Brent Honeywell (3-0, 2.94) vs. LHP Cole Hamels (3-3, 7.57)

Linescore

TB…..1-0-0-1-1-0-1-0-0…4-9-1
TEX…0-3-1-1-3-1-0-0-x…9-12-2

W: Hamels (4-3) — 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 5 K
L: Honeywell (3-1) — 4.1 IP, 7 H, 6 R (5 ER), 0 BB, 3 K

Game Recap

A quality start from Cole Hamels and a stellar all-around game from Delino DeShields led Texas to a 9-4 victory Saturday afternoon.

Hamels pitched a solid six innings, allowing two earned runs and collecting five strikeouts. He threw 103 pitches, and gave the Rangers some good length that they desperately needed with a taxed bullpen.

“Being honest, we had about three or four guys who we even thought about using out of the bullpen today,” Finn Fletcher commented after the game. “Being able to get by with two of those, and getting everyone else some rest, was a big help — especially with the spot start tomorrow, you never know what you’re gonna get.”

DeShields went a perfect 4 for 4, stealing two bases and scoring three runs to lead the Texas offense to a nine-run showing.

Rookie catcher Jose Trevino made his major-league debut, starting at catcher and batting ninth. He went 0 for 4, and committed a throwing error on a Mallex Smith steal attempt. Trevino was promptly optioned back to Round Rock (AAA), with RHP Adrian Sampson recalled to make the spot start tomorrow.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:18 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 27, 2018

Tampa Bay Rays (24-19) at Texas Rangers (26-17)

Matchup: RHP Nathan Eovaldi (3-3, 4.46) vs. RHP Adrian Sampson (2-1, 4.12)

Linescore

TB…..0-2-0-0-2-1-0-0-0…5-12-1
TEX…0-0-0-3-0-3-2-0-x…8-10-1

W: Sampson (3-1) — 6 IP, 10 H, 5 R (5 ER), 0 BB, 2 K
L: Eovaldi (3-4) — 6 IP, 7 H, 6 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 3 K
S: Sam Dyson (8) — 0.1 IP

Game Recap

A wild, back-and-forth game was capped by a pair of late Rangers rallies, and Texas came away with the 8-5 win in Sunday’s afternoon matchup.

The game featured no shortage of oddities. With two wild pitches, a passed ball, a hit batter, and two errors, the game seemed to speed up on the players.

The Rays offense was led by Mallex Smith (3 for 5), though each Tampa Bay starter recorded a hit in the game. Texas’ offense was led by shortstop Elvis Andrus, who was 2 for 4 with a pair of doubles and two RBI to match.

In the seventh inning, third baseman Adrian Beltre left after sliding into second base and suffering an upper-body injury. The injury is believed to be an intercostal strain, and seeing how it will keep him out for a few days, Finn Fletcher announced that he is likely to go on the DL for 10 days to free up a roster spot.

Team officials confirmed the news later in the day, with Beltre placed on the 10-day disabled list and Sunday’s starter Adrian Sampson optioned back to the Express. In their places, reliever R.J. Alvarez (4 games, 8.44 ERA; has not pitched since 5/6) was recalled from Round Rock, and first baseman/DH Ben Miller had his contract purchased from Double-A Frisco. Miller, a 21st-round selection a year ago, began the year at High-A and quickly played his way up another level to Frisco, where he has put together a .338/.410/.706 line in 79 plate appearances. The promotion of Miller is likely to be short-term, though if the 23-year-old Nebraska product keeps hitting, he may force the team’s hand.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:20 pm 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

May 29, 2018

Washington Nationals (26-18) at Texas Rangers (28-17)

Matchup: LHP Gio Gonzalez (3-5, 5.21) vs. RHP Brandon McCarthy (2-0, 2.30)

Linescore

WSH…3-1-3-0-0-1-4-0-1…13-15-4
TEX….0-0-2-0-0-0-0-0-0…2-8-2

W: J.P. Howell (1-2) — 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K
L: McCarthy (2-1) — 4 IP, 8 H, 7 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 0 K

Game Recap

Bryce Harper set a National League record with eight runs batted in to lead the Nationals to a 13-2 dismantling of the Rangers Tuesday night. (Update: This isn't really a record. OOTP always *(censored)* records up for some reason.)

Harper, batting cleanup, went 4 for 4 with a home run, 8 RBI, a run, and a walk. Trea Turner chipped in with four hits of his own, and Stephen Drew was 3 for 4, scoring four runs.

For Texas, both Dalton Pompey and Rougned Odor recorded three hits.

Hanser Alberto made his third pitching appearance of the year, pitching the ninth inning and allowing one run.

Also, Nationals lefty Gio Gonzalez left after just 1.2 (perfect) innings due to an undisclosed injury.

Also also, Ben Miller made his major-league debut, going 0 for 4 as the designated hitter.

Postgame, RHPs Brandon McCarthy and R.J. Alvarez were designated for assignment; minor-league first baseman Preston Beck and outfielder Matt Lipka were both released from Round Rock (AAA); and RHP Preston Claiborne and INF Max Muncy were recalled from Triple-A.

NAPOLI FOR MVP

BrewersFuzz wrote:
PEDs wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next