It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More positions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:19 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
I know that if you pick second base as a position, then either you or Peter will be asked to switch. This gives you the second position ability. What happens if you then pick other occupied positions: left field (Milton), center field (Marvin).

Will you be able to get some experience at that position before you switch?

What about if you pick 3B or C and then Brad/Rex or Mark comes? What happens then?

When you switch positions what happens to your fielding ability? Is it always the same for all positions? Does it leave off where it was at the first position and restart at G/F for the second? Is there any way I can get a player who plays every position (except pitcher) and still have very good fielding and hitting stats (A's)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:53 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I started a Success mode character as a 2B and Robbie asked me to move to 1st, so I agreed. When I finished that character, he was an 'A' at 1st and a 'C' at 2nd, 'G's everywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:40 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Center Field, Capt told one of us to move.

Challenge Card will set up a hitting contest (beat 9 and yer it).

Marvin moves to SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:57 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
If I acquire a 2nd position ability through "Boost Abilities" will it affect where the Tulips play me?

If I get 2nd position what does my fielding grade end up being there?

What's error resistance for? I don't see how it differs from fielding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:08 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Error resistance is how likely you are to save the situation from being an error or how quickly you recover from it.

2nd Position I believe initially starts off as C and can be improved (somehow).

The second position is simply a managerial option that he can move you to that position if it's necessary to do, say a double-switch to place the fresh pitcher in the last batter's spot (so he doesn't come up to bat for 8 PAs <plate appearances>) and move the new fielder into the old pitcher's spot.

Or if you have multiple players who can play that position, you can perform a defensive switch and still leave the players on the field. I believe they do restrict swapping out a pitcher for a fielder this way like in MLB rules, but I have not attempted to do so (as most MLB pitchers would be a poor excuse for a fielder in a tight situation).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:05 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

MaxDSterling wrote:
I believe they do restrict swapping out a pitcher for a fielder this way like in MLB rules, but I have not attempted to do so (as most MLB pitchers would be a poor excuse for a fielder in a tight situation).

The rule you are probably thinking of is that, in the AL, if you move a fielder to P or vice versa, you can no longer use the DH. You can bring in a guy who is normally a pitcher (but has not pitched in the current game) and stick him at CF or whatever with no problem. This actually happened in the replay of the 9th inning of the famous pine tar game:

Quote:
On August 18 (a scheduled off day for both teams), the game was resumed from the point of Brett's home run, with about 1,200 fans in attendance. Martin symbolically protested the continuation of the game by putting pitcher Ron Guidry in center field and first baseman Don Mattingly at second base. Mattingly, a lefty, became the majors' first southpaw second baseman since Oakland's Gonzalo Marques [1] a decade earlier; there has been one only lefty middle infielder in a big-league game since (Thad Bosley, in 1987).[2]

As far as I know, the NL does not have any such restriction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:29 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
MaxDSterling wrote:
Error resistance is how likely you are to save the situation from being an error or how quickly you recover from it.

2nd Position I believe initially starts off as C and can be improved (somehow).

2nd Position 4 will give the player a B their second position, but I haven't figured out how to get it in Success Mode.

In addition to what you said about E RES, it means the player (most often infielders on sharply hit grounders) is more likely to knock the ball in front of him rather than have it get past his glove. So it's important for pitchers as it affects their chances of stopping comebackers. If you leave a pitcher's E RES at F or G, he'll surrender a lot of hits up the middle.