Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shop items that boost training...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:45 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I couldn't find this anywhere. My eyes are cross-eyed from being tired and reading so many posts. Do you guys recommend buying all the gear that give extra points during training?

I plan on doing the save/reload trick, which I have done in the past but not religiously like I will next time. I just didn't know with this trick if it's worth working for all the money it would take to buy this stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:50 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '07: Nintendo Wii
None of that stuff is necessary if you're planning on gambling. Save your money for the Mind training neck, Recovery neck, and equipment you can learn abilities from.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:58 am 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Buying them all is certainly not worth it. Booster items only make sense when you can make the extra points count.

Assuming you're gambling, that means pushing the gains just beyond the cost for a certain stat so you can spend points on that stat first and gamble using the remainder. Most of the time though, the chocolate sponge cake is a cheaper alternative for some temporary boosts before the upgrade cost gets too high for the shop items to make a difference.

If that sounds too abstract let's say
+1 Power costs 9 strength points
Long Toss training gives +17 strength +4 tech +4 mental
By default this means you can spend 9 strength points on +1 power and use the remaining 8 strength 4 tech 4 mental for +1 contact or trajectory.

Now if you use a sponge cake, the gain will be +19 strength +6 tech +6 mental meaning you get to boost +2 power before gambling instead of +1. This may seem insignificant but you get to do it for a couple of more times (say 5) before the cost of +1 Power goes up to 10 strength points. So that's an extra +5 power for the cost of 5 sponge cakes ($80). Not a bad trade off.

The only booster items I try to get early are Concentration Earplugs 1 & 2 for pitchers, because the stockpile of mental points will affect how far you can upgrade control later on. I also buy Focus Stones 1 & 2 to sustain the Shadow Pitching run as long as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:05 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks.

Another question. Do you guys spend turns resting? It seems like with the save/reload that everyone pushes everything to the limit. I haven't tried it so I just thought I'd ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:27 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Braves
I always rest when hyper-recovery gauge is maxed out (just before its in the red). Its a great way to get extra points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

True... Thanks for that if I would have thought about it I would have realized that. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:49 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
I usually buy both focus stones and swing rings. I always seem to have a large surplus of money, so I prefer to just make my gambling life easier.

As for rest, I only rest at the beginning. My strategy is to upgrade a breaking ball with points from random events (so I have something for the first year game), and other than that, I train with the pitching/fielding machine until my power/stamina is around the level that I want (a little less, so I have something to spend excess points on). In those weeks, I always rest when the h-recovery gives me 99 points, because that's more than the practices. Once I finish resting, I work until the vitality is red, that's when I practice more.

Once I'm done with the power/stamina, I don't rest unless I need money, because I'd prefer the technique points to the extra strength points (swinging/shadow pitching still gives me enough strength).

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Well, this is off the topic I had started but in regards to hyper recovery... What makes the gains higher? I know over time the results get better but what factors into it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

the more strength training you do, the more strength points you get

likewise for running and quickness points.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:24 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

On a side note, make sure to buy the Recovery necklace. It gives you some vitality at the start of each turn and will allow you to practice until you feel it's necessary to rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:29 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

When the shop first is available, make sure you save before viewing items. Then, save/load until BOTH the recovery and mind-training necklaces are available for purchase - on that note, make sure you have at least $350. If you can, I'm sure Odawali would suggest buying the graduate's charm, and I strongly recommend getting the psychic goggles before the first game.

But neither necklace is perfect. To get a high bookworm level, make sure you study at the beginning, before the job command is available (training is not so useful at this point). Also, professor's and Annie's homework are great because you can study with 0 vitality. As for the recovery necklaces faults, there are random events that will drain the vitality gained by the necklace, so make sure you have a few extra powerins, or something like that.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:38 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Two things about Hyper Recovery, one, don't be fooled by the gauge. You can fill it to the far right end and get a +77 point bonus in which case you should over-train for a bigger bonus (use Hyper Recovery Bonus Supplement if necessary). On the other hand, after training gets upgraded/intensified you can just hit the lower end of the sweet spot for a +99 recovery.

Second, I know everyone loves maxing out the bonus to +99, but it can be less efficient to do so depending on the circumstances. The hyper recovery bonus is split up between the turns you used to get it; getting a large amount in fewer turns is more efficient than getting the max using extra turns; If you rest now and get a +97 hyper recovery, you need to be thinking, is it worth using an extra turn for a measly +2 increase in the recovery bonus? Rough demonstration:

Case 1 Settle for a near max gain (+97) instead of going for +99
Weight Training 6 times and Rest for +97 Hyper Recovery
Total Strength Points Gained: 30 x 6 turns + 97 = 277
Training Efficiency: 277 / 7 turns = 39.57 points / turn

Case 2 Train an extra turn to max out the bonus to +99
Weight Training 7 times and Rest for +99 Hyper Recovery
Total Strength Points Gained: 30 x 7 turns + 99 = 309
Training Efficiency: 309 / 8 turns = 38.63 points / turn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:44 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Good analysis. The circumstance that this would not apply would most likely be the beginning, where
1) Practicing increases the coach's eval
2) You would still practice the next turn, so the two extra point bonus is better than none - unless you wanted to continue long enough so that you would be closer to getting to the next hyper-recovery - which is better.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:09 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Minor discovery regarding Hyper Recovery; After intensifying and (upgrading with a star) I found out you could actually get a +99 recovery before hitting the sweet spot in the gauge, using the H-Rec Bonus Supplement to expand the zone.

Obviously using less turns to get the max recovery is more efficient (need to be thinking in term of points gained/turn here) so this opens up more use for the Bonus Supplement.

EDIT: I've created some illustrations to help explain this point. The thing is, the visible H-Rec gauge only explains the availability of Hyper Recovery (ie "If you rest now, you can/can't get a Hyper Recovery") and not the amount. Those two gauges are independent of each other and fill up at different rates. The following diagrams are not accurate but I figured it should make it easier to visualize.

Before Training Upgrades:
Amount gauge is hard to max out, over-training is necessary to get a good amount of Hyper Recovery Bonus.

After Training Upgrades:
Amount gauge becomes easier to max out, thus you can get a good H-Rec Bonus in fewer turns.

PS About the "inaccuracy"; I think the length of the gauge doesn't shrink (cf the gauge will not fill up as quickly if I practice something that's not upgraded), but rather the upgraded practices fill it up more quickly. Think of a fixed-length Amount Gauge that fills up at different rates depending on the type of practice. If you want to get even more technical, there are two - one for Strength and another Quickness. Again, diagrams are for demonstration purposes.

Last edited by odawali on Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:50 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
Are the only ways to upgrade training routines through RE and letting Alvin become captain?

If so, do you think we should eventually add it to the wiki? I know I've had Brad improve my batting practices for two stars before with two separate events.