Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:51 pm 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

alvin's mirage knuckler iss also what seems to be an original level 2 knuckler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:24 am 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
I think you're right. I ended up getting five (better breaking ball) and my last two I used (sharper pitch). Didn't seem much better. They were hitting the heck out of it. Next time I think I'll just get him to train me to get the cool original name and not worry so much about reloading to get his scene every time. Think I might be missing some other key scenes by doing so.

Post subject: Re: Original pitch (Again)
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:59 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
1. less slow down
2. a sharper pitch
3.a stronger changeup
4. slow down pitchl
5. a better breaking ball

I'm trying to figure out what exactly the other options do, and what variables make up a pitch.

I'm sure that "sharper pitch" relates to horizontal movement, on a pitcher i tested, i modified a knuckle ball about 7 times with this ability, and there is certainly more horizontal movement on the pitch. Looking at a custom pitcher that has mainly had speed upgrades to the knuckle ball, the pitch has lost alot of it's "sudden drop," and alot of it's verticle movement.

1. More Speed, less movement / break
2. More horizontal movement, to the right on a lefthanded pitcher.
3. ??? possibly downward movement
4. ??? Slow pitch down (possibly adds downward movement)
5. ??? More horizontal movement, to the left on a lefthanded pitcher

There's certainly feels like there's a cap to some of the stats, or the more you add to one stat, it takes away from another to balance things out. The faster a pitch gets, the less movement it's going to have (or possibly less time in the air to move?) I'm also going to try leaving my custom pitch at 2 until i'm done with all of dads trainings before upgrading it to 7. What does seem to be "unique" about all the pitches is the type of spin it exhibits.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:23 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Thanks to Wyl and Odawali, we have solved the Original Pitch issue via Japanese sites.

wiki/index.php?title=Original_pitch

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:36 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Wow that helped!

It seems as though there could be alot of strategy just for upgrading pitches, expect a new, and refined custom knuckle ball pitcher :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:37 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

If that guide is correct, i only need 11 trainings to get my Knuckle ball where i want it, which is a fraction of what i've been spending before this guide (i had 22 on a recent character, alot of them wasted according to the guide u posted).

I'm thinking that if you keep your custom pitch at level one, and wait until all of your dads training before upgrading, you can get alot of movement on your pitch with insane speed.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:24 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
First off, Wyl and Odawali are unbelievable. I applaud you both for the amount of time you both have put into this game and site.

Second off, I have never been able to get the Dad training or custom pitch. Is there some trick to it, or perhaps something that I am missing? Any tips?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:19 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

(march week 1)Use a No or Marvin card when you meet bison the first time, i'm not 100% sure if this is necessary, but I never use Willy.

(march week 3)You first see your dad and he asks for your glove, use the NO card. You can also use challenge, but this will cost you $70.

(april week ?)When you see your dad the next time, and he asks for help with work, pick Yes or Marvin.

After that april event, your dad will start showing up at random times, he will do either 1 of 2 things:

- Gain or lose his job, you have to study sleep or practice (and not get injured) the following turn to keep him happy,

- Advance the story to your custom pitch. You need to advance the story 2 times before he starts to teach you pitching. Both of these events involve the scout talking to your dad. The third time you see him, you need to play a challenge card and you will then be allowed to customize your pitch once and name it(i do not know what happens in terms of your chances of him showing up again if you don't play a challenge card). Every time you see him after this, you will simply be asked to if you want to upgrade the pitch or not.

Observations and speculation:

- I believe you don't need the events in which he gains or loses his job, the lowest times i've ever had to deal with the dad losing/gaining a job event, was twice, and this has always been before the first time your dad talks to the scout. If somebody has managed to get the Dad talking to scout story advance without ever having to deal with the gain/lose job situation, let us know.

- On the same turn in which you play the marvin/yes card (april week ?) you can get the "Dad gains/loses job" event to occur, meaning the event will happen right after you choose the fate cards.

- On the same turn, it is possible to challenge your dad to start your custom pitch training/naming, then gain a chance to upgrade it right afterwords. This might only be possible on certain weeks, or weeks with random events.

- There is a limit to the number of events that can happen to you in a turn, and there are two types of events. The dad practice event seems to happen whenever a random event can occur.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:28 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
That is the one thing I have yet to do in this game, and I want to get at least one custom pitch in before the '08 drop. It makes me wonder if there will be more custom pitch goodness in the new game.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:46 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I also had the Dad loses/gets job event twice before getting him to talk to the scout. After I got the first RE with the two of them talking I simply reloaded any time that Dad lost or got a new job. I'm not sure if you can bypass those events completely, but you definitely don't need them after the first meeting between your dad and the scout. What is the earliest date anyone has had dad talk with the scout? For me it was Wk1, Jun, Yr 1.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:26 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Thanks guys :) Odawali gets a lot of credit for refining my "translations" and making the charts more accurate and easier to follow.

I don't remember the absolute earliest I've gotten the dad/scout event, but I do know that I've obtained the original pitch by the end of year 1 before (I consider the end of year 1 to be the July week 2 team captain event). The only gets a job/loses job dad event that *has* to trigger in the process is the lawn mowing job, because at the first dad/scout event in town dad mentions that he "drives a high performance lawn mower" or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:40 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
rsoohoo wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what exactly the other options do, and what variables make up a pitch.

I'd love for you to conduct your own research, because I'm not 100% sure MLB PP's internals work the same way as the other versions. The values could be different, for example. I tried creating an ORIG pitch by calculating values from the charts, but the results weren't exactly what I was going for.

For anyone with a PS2, I could post two passwords (I saved before the final game and "cloned" the character) with and without the ORIG pitch in the Password Exchange with a full list of modifications.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:40 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

odawali wrote:
rsoohoo wrote:

I'd love for you to conduct your own research, because I'm not 100% sure MLB PP's internals work the same way as the other versions. The values could be different, for example. I tried creating an ORIG pitch by calculating values from the charts, but the results weren't exactly what I was going for.

For anyone with a PS2, I could post two passwords (I saved before the final game and "cloned" the character) with and without the ORIG pitch in the Password Exchange with a full list of modifications.

Wow. I never realized that PS2 had that kind of potential. You guys have the experimentation thing very easy :x

From your observations with your pitcher, what didn't turn out how you expected?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:56 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
I tried creating a slider with a bigger and sharper break, but it seemed to turn out the opposite.

As for the cloning, I'm sure it's possible on the Wii too. Just follow Max's Credit Exploit except save the player on Step 5. That way you can save the player and still reload success mode. On either of your saves, "buy" back the pitch you originally modified to reset it to the default state, and you have two players with identical stats, one with the ORIG and the other without it.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:15 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Odawali, does that means, that your last save has to be before the "dad's upgrade" event?

Hmm, if that is the case, we can also try to figure out the password for each stats/abilities right?

Just change one ability/stat and see what's the difference in the pw are. Also we can figure which pw related to appearance as well.

But definitely it will take a lot of time to do >_<
Except if we make it an official project here and divide the task together :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next