It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pitcher/LF combo player in progress
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:41 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '07: Nintendo Wii
tgjason wrote:
Oh trust me, it's the reason I never tried to intentionally roll a genius. If I'm trying to get three Goodjobs for a normal SP, and one for a normal hitter, and they were both the best statistical and also the least fun characters to make, I imagine making a Genius would just be the best way to ween me off of this game. It's probably for the best I never roll a Genius, otherwise I'd probably kill myself S/L trying to max every stat.

I guess its both a blessing and a curse to roll a genius, but even with all of the save/reloading I still had a lot of fun making them. I guess I'm sick like that. :mrgreen:

With the next game right around the corner I'm surprised that there's still this much interest in creating new players when its very unlikely that the PWs will carry over to the new game. I guess some people can go through success mode pretty fast so 2 months is still quite a bit of time to get every last drop out of this game. I actually have a genius saved at the first day of success mode, but I don't think I'm going to use him. Some other members and I had been discussing a maxed-out combo pitcher/hitter awhile back and it was my intention to go through with it, but by the time I would have him finished the new game would be knocking on the door. If anyone sees any information on the old PWs still working with the new game please drop me a line; maybe I'll get cracking on this guy.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:20 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
mrsims31 wrote:
With the next game right around the corner I'm surprised that there's still this much interest in creating new players when its very unlikely that the PWs will carry over to the new game.

Yeah, though the more I've thought about it, even if passwords don't carry over it isn't like I won't ever play 2007 again. With entirely different Success Modes, it isn't like the 2008 game will *replace* 2007. Realistically once 2008 comes out 2007 will get shelved for awhile, but I'll still come back to it at minimum for Success Mode. If passwords don't carryover, I've more or less decided that other than a few exceptions I'm going to make completely different players in 2008 rather than trying to recreate players I've already done in 2007. So I'm not as down on password incompatibility as I was last week.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:23 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

MaxDSterling wrote:
Wyl wrote:
But anyway, I'll try again tomorrow evening. The Stars-Red Wings are on in any hour, and that's going to tie up most of my night :)

Sorry about Dallas.

Well, it wasn't unexpected. Detroit is both faster and more physical, they're a great team. No one (myself included) expected the Stars to get past San Jose in the last round, so that they made it this far was an accomplishment. I was just glad to see them fight back from 3-0 to at least push the series to 6 games.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:45 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Finally finished Wes Ferrell - posted the info and password here: http://www.mlbppworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=431&p=5439#p5439

I ended up getting 2 successful GoodJob upgrades, first the week after the WG game and the second between the CR game and the Superstars.

I'm planning to reload for a Genius since I haven't gotten one of those yet, but after that I'm going to go back to making more average/less maxed out players for awhile. The amount of reloading I had to do for this one has left me a bit burned out on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
wow, Wyl - I just took a look at this guy on your website. amazing!! Congratulations on what must be one of the best all around players EVER created via success mode!!!

You started as a pitcher and got 2nd position->LF, right? Just checking, for when I do this myself. The red/green split is awesome!

I have been vehemently opposed to creating uber-players - I appreciate the skill/time/familiarity it takes, but since your character is better than the average rookie after year 1 anyway, it seemed a little unfair/unbalanced to me. I prefer to create guys with some strengths, some weaknesses...more realistic for a team, I guess. Your idea of creating real-life players puts an interesting spin on it.

But all the while, as I improve, learn what nets you what abilities and how to use the system to my advantage...I've really wondered if I could make a pitcher maxed out, and then spend the extra points towards fielder abilities, and make the best possible character. I've only made about 14 characters, so it would take far too much for me to get to taht skill level...but you have done an excellent job. Congrats!!

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:58 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Alloutwar wrote:
wow, Wyl - I just took a look at this guy on your website. amazing!! Congratulations on what must be one of the best all around players EVER created via success mode!!!

You started as a pitcher and got 2nd position->LF, right? Just checking, for when I do this myself. The red/green split is awesome!

I have been vehemently opposed to creating uber-players - I appreciate the skill/time/familiarity it takes, but since your character is better than the average rookie after year 1 anyway, it seemed a little unfair/unbalanced to me. I prefer to create guys with some strengths, some weaknesses...more realistic for a team, I guess. Your idea of creating real-life players puts an interesting spin on it.

But all the while, as I improve, learn what nets you what abilities and how to use the system to my advantage...I've really wondered if I could make a pitcher maxed out, and then spend the extra points towards fielder abilities, and make the best possible character. I've only made about 14 characters, so it would take far too much for me to get to taht skill level...but you have done an excellent job. Congrats!!

Yes, you start him as a pitcher and then get the 2nd pos ability that you want. I know this because I made a picther/LF/3B a month ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:59 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Yep, started with a pitcher and added LF as a 2nd position. You can't do it the other way around. I did Wes Ferrell more to see if I could pull it off, but yeah in general I'm not a hardcore reloader/uber player guy either. I don't see myself ever doing that type of player again though, it probably took me close to 20 hours and the last 15 hours or so were not fun at all. Just tedious trying to get high levels in both pitching and offensive stats/abilities. I've had fun doing recreations of the real life Hall of Fame players and a couple of non-HoF great players though, and I don't mind making them great because they were among the best players ever. And like I say on my site, my "concept" for each is to pick the particular player's "career year" to model my Success Mode creation off of. So they kind of have to be uber in that regard.

But I do also have a lot of created players I didn't bother posting to my site that are much more average and low level. The kinds of players that don't take much (if any) reloading and aren't off the charts going into Season Mode.

I do compensate in Season Mode though for my HoF arrange team. I have all CPU settings on Powerful and I turned off player improvement so my players' abilities stay the same. If I sim a season my team rarely loses, but played games are very competitive.