Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting Pitchers - A Stamina? How?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:32 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Okay, I have created like 7 pitchers now, 4 or 5 starters - and even when I seem to have loads of extra points for everything else, I cannot get to a Stamina rating of A. Is it really that hard?

Anyone have ideas on how to do this? I'm not ohrrible, I have like 20 created players now...but I don't gamble much. I work out a lot, and do the other storyline things - working, dating, studying, etc. My other players are pretty good, and I've made it to where I have started getting my pitchers some hitting skills.

Yet still, not enough stamina. Please help!

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post subject: Re: Starting Pitchers - A Stamina? How?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '08: Don't Own
You have to go for it in the beginning. Otherwise you won't have time to deal with it.

Ride him like a rented mule!

They were on you like a bunch of spider monkeys

Wear um like a cheap suit

When life gives you a crap sandwich you gotta say pass the mayonaise i'm takin it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:41 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Blue Jays
For me it's the opposite....I can get the A stamina but I can't imagine how you would get a pitcher with 95+ fastball. I have made a few starting pitchers all with at least three pitches with 5 rating or more and a high C or B control. Add in some abilites, and story lines and the season is over with a fastball topping out at 80 or lower. I'm about ready to try a closer and just put in for speed.

What was the color of dirt BEFORE it got dirty?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:45 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
If you want a pitcher that has a mid 90+ top speed and an A in stamina you need to be prepared to gamble at least a bit for top speed. You should first get your stamina to C or B in the first year by only practicing with the machine for strength. After that it should be getting one or two stamina and a gamble for top speed every turn if possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:02 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
using odawali's shadow pitching guide will help you optimize your experience points. If you don't feel like getting your hands on a ring, just purchase 1 month's worth of tickets at Bison's and do it that way.

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:20 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '08: Don't Own
Winning the Championship in year 2 helps a lot. :)

Ride him like a rented mule!

They were on you like a bunch of spider monkeys

Wear um like a cheap suit

When life gives you a crap sandwich you gotta say pass the mayonaise i'm takin it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:04 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Well, I'm doing a new player, modeled after Doc Gooden - and wouldnt you know it, the very first random event gave me the Dr. K ability. Nice, I've never had that before.

Anyway, after the normal studying and build, I started amassing strength points w/recovery necklace...just trained, trained, trained, rested. I got my stamina up to a high C, then the first game hit. I realized I had made the team, and was starting, but my only pitch was a 78mpg fastball. What kind of coach would start me over Alvin? I mean c'mon? I gave up 5 runs in the 5th inning, losing to Narcissus.

Now my stamina is a high B, somewhere around 132. And I've gambled my top speed up 3 times, to 82 or 83 now. But my control is still a G, and my 3 pitches (h-slider, slow curve, change) are all lvl 1s. It's about March of Year 2, so I should be able to get an A stamina and gamble some more speed increases soon.

I find more and more that I get my players to the level of many MLBers in this game right around the beginning of year 3...which leaves me plenty of time to grab some extra abilities, date, make money, etc. But that's mainly batters...pitchers are always harder, somehow. My only ridiculously easy one was with the gamblin ring - now that wasn't even fair. like my 3rd pitcher, and he's got level 5 and 6 pitches. Nasty.

Older/dead logs:
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:45 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

As always you could also just try and save/reload for the Dr Goodjob events directly after the World Gatherings, and Champion Rings games in Year 3. That'll net you some much needed Top Speed, Stamina, and Control. Just make sure to have a Yes card handy for the first event(say after the WG game) and a Challenge card ready for the second event(after the CR game).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 am 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
"Well, I'm doing a new player, modeled after Doc Gooden - and wouldnt you know it, the very first random event gave me the Dr. K ability. Nice, I've never had that before."

What event gave you Dr K? I've never seen any event give you that.
(unless you're talking about reloading a surprise bag)

Last edited by MrWelz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:28 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

tgjason - is that the only time dr goodjob comes around? I've only had him appear once, out of like 30 runs in Success Mode (and countless reloads), but it was after the WG game. I got his number, and then never saw him again.

Other people post about his improvements like they experience them regularly...is it all from save/reloading during these weeks?

MrWelz - not sure I can remember what exactly netted me Dr. K, but it was something I didn't expect. I know I got a room cleaning random event, but I don't believe that is what did it. (I think the room cleaning gave me a surprise bag, and eventually those had Psychic Goggles pop out. Yes.) It was something else when I was starting...darn, I wish I had written it down now. I definitely don't have the glove, I haven't met Sarah...it may have been a Secrets of Pitching that I got from the prof's homework. I'll check tonight. But I had it before the first game of the first year.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:34 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
I've never gotten Dr. Goodjob myself despite constant reloading. I eventually gave up on it. The best guy I made had a maxed change up, maxed curve, and a maxed original pitch that is virtually impossible to hit unless one hitter has seen it 4-5 times. He had 91 MPH speed, B Stamina, D fielding for everything, Poise and RISP, Good Low Pitch, Battler, and ground ball pitcher. The only (big) problem wad that he had F control.
I'm currently working on a closer and am doing a nice job. I just won the year two championship, have a 91-MPH fast ball, have C control (going for B/A), E and D fielding, star finisher, maxed Knuckleball, and a 4/7 curve ball. I'm well on my way to getting an original pitch (I'll reload if necessary) as in the next event I'll get it. I'll change my curve ball to this then get some abilities.

- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-Always go to other peoples' funerals otherwise they won't go to yours.
-I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
I'm on vacation for about a month.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

No, it's not the only time he shows up. You can actually get him as early as Nov. 4th Year 2 for the first event but it may require quite a bit of save/loading. I only mentioned those dates because it's the only event that will pop up at those two weeks so if you can get his address before then you have two sure fire chances to get some really good results, or if you didn't get his address before you have one week to do just that and another week to get some pretty good results.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:59 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

On the Dr K. acquisition issue - I have confirmed it was not the professor's homework that netted me Dr. K. I still haven't turned in that homework, march of the 2nd year.

I remember getting Dr K in a text box, and being surprised by it's appearance there. I think it was while conversing with Becky or a coach or something...darn I wish I remembered.

Older/dead logs:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:02 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Braves
I got Dr. K for one of my pitchers through purchasing a glove and unlocking it's ability. That's the only way I know how.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:51 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Padres
Swashbuckla wrote:
I got Dr. K for one of my pitchers through purchasing a glove and unlocking it's ability. That's the only way I know how.

That is definitely the most sure fire way to get it. I have gotten it from SoP once which is kind of a waste. On rare occasions, the Dr. K glove will not ever show up available in the shop with the ability. Just hold out for it and it will show up.