Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: team captain or not?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:36 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Has anyone decided if you get more points by accepting the team captain position or turning it down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:38 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I would like to know this too, though I know becoming the captain early enough will make Toby and Alvin leave, so it makes the game considerably harder. There has to be some incentive besides playing your entire team in the 8th-9th inning in games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:44 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Cubs
another thing you get to do is decide on new training equipment without toby being a turd about it, though I think all you have to do is pick the thing you *dont* want and Toby will complain and go with the other option... hehe

I need to get an avatar likes yours now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:02 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
It's harder if Marvin's captain in the third year. Sometimes he agrees on training equipment and sometimes he doesn't. However, if you want Alvin to stay on the team, don't become captain.

I've read on GameFAQS that captaincy improves the stats a bit more. If Toby leaves, then the rest of the pitchers improve. I think this includes your own if you have one.

If you're fluid with hitting being able to get a couple runs an inning and familiar with fielding, it's a lot easier to be captain. Otherwise, you'll have problems. Like me. I always reset my game until I have a lead going into the eighth.

An advantage is;
-Setting your own lineup.
-If you're a hitter hit either third or fourth
-If you're a pitcher (especially reliever) you could have a different pitcher start and substitute yours in later to fully control him. Only downsides are if you suck at pitching and the "computer's" better, and you're innings might be limited.

Disadvantages:
Similar to above - If your pitcher starts, you probably won't control him. Your hitter might be replaced by a pinch-hitter by the eighth. Zero-control over the first 7 innings means your team will very likely be trailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:42 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Yeah I usually have to do a restart if I am trailing or even tied in the 8th against the Champion Rings, because the team just has no offensive power with the exception of possibly yourself, and Brad/Rex. Even if you are leading, be prepared to see Spider or Jet knock one out or at least get on base to setup the tying or winning run.

Post subject: Physic Goggles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:55 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Buying the Physic Goggles makes thing A LOT easier though. Even with it I still suck at hitting. I'd say if you're the hitter it guesses the pitcher's pitch correctly 70-80% of the time.

If you're the pitcher, it's even more accurate (I think). Just do the opposite of what the hitter's thinking. To make it even more cheap, throw a pickoff when the batter thinks "breaking ball" If he's thinking "fastball" it's a lot easier to get swing and miss.

Spider's a ridiculous player.

It'd be great if you play as the Championship Rings instead of the Tulips. Or if you could pitch as Toby in the second year. He's probably really good. Pitching as Robbie would be even cooler.

The MLB Superstars game is IMPOSSIBLE. The physic goggles guess the pitchers wrong even more and it's impossible to track the pitches.

Why can't you draft any of the Success Mode players on other teams in Season Mode? They're supposed to be college players heading for the majors. Imagine a team with a low-paid Spider, Jet, Ultimate (love the name), Gaia, Perfect Joe, Perfect S, Ocean, Alvin, Analyzer I.Q., Zero Gibson, Mars (Soldier University), the fat guy from the wild pigs, Marvin (not really), Brad, Rex, Peter, Mark, Toby, Robin, and Robbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Yeah I got canned when I played the Superstars, blanked me 8-0. My pitcher, who usually lasts 7-innings (Robin) lasted only 3 or so... heh

Post subject: Rookie Charm
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:22 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Maybe I should of bought a Rookie Charm just for the Superstars Game. Then I wouldn't make a thousand errors. But it might not work for this game when I control everything. I'll try it later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:13 am 
AAA Starter
AAA Starter

The one time I actually got to the Superstars game, I got murdered. It was scoreless until the 7th inning, but then my created pitcher got tired, and it was suddenly 12-0 in the bottom of the 8th. my team got 3 hits total.

As for the OP, I never choose to be captain, simply because it really irritates me to play with such scrubs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:27 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

How do you get down by 12?
Isn't there a 10-run mercy rule?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:12 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Cubs
I think the mercy rule comes into play when the inning ends, I could be wrong though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:11 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

No, it doesn't.

You probably just gave up a 3-run homer to end it when the score was 9-0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
I think it is fun to play all the different ways. With the player I'm currently running through (CF/2B, kind of a Biggio type of player), I went ahead and took the captaincy in year 2 and let Alvin and Toby walk. Rolls is a pretty serviceable pitcher in their place, other than the two games against the Champion Rings I didn't have to do much reloading for losses.

Last time around I played a starting pitcher, I declined the captaincy in year 2 and then gave it to Alvin in year 3. I'm not sure of the exact effect on experience earned during games, but I do find having Toby/Alvin overriding my decisions on training equipment highly annoying.

Probably the "straightforward" easiest approach is to decline the captaincy in year 2 and then take it in year 3. If I had a "usual" approach (I've played Success Mode about a dozen times), that's probably it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:41 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Doesn't Toby captaincy (maybe Alvin, never let that happen) have events that lower motivation, luck, etc.?

I've had Marvin be captain before. He just agrees with me on most (not all) practice techniques, but just takes credit for the ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:56 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
I never let my characters become Captain. There are some things that I lose out on, but I find it far more valuable overall to be able to hit for myself all game.

Especially in year three. I do let Alvin take over, and I usually end up getting at least two overall team upgrades, sometimes three or four! This helps me max out on points in training more easily. I think once I had a three star next to the strength training because of it.