All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Year 3 captain
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:18 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
How do you become a captain in year 3 if you don't in year 2? Is it possible? I tried all of the cards and all of them make Marvin the captain. I checked the Wiki; there isn't any info on this. Help!

Post subject: Re: Year 3 captain
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:17 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Padres
That usually happens when you get the bat from Bison. I thought just using a yes card lets you be captain.

I would stay away from the bat. If you do, in the third year you only have to answer yes or no. No fate cards are needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:25 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

You mean the bat that unlocks Willy? I did buy it. I used the Yes card.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:45 pm 
Ace
Ace

Longball714 wrote:

That's the bat. If you're new, Willy can help but once you've gotten the hang of the game, he really can become a nuisance. Soon enough, you'll be able to hit better and pitch better than the computer with half the stats that Willy has. He'll become a waste of fate cards and/or shuffle whistles. He also makes it impossible to become captain in your second year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:01 pm 
Prospect
Prospect

Favorite Team: Reds
calislim wrote:
Longball714 wrote:

That's the bat. If you're new, Willy can help but once you've gotten the hang of the game, he really can become a nuisance. Soon enough, you'll be able to hit better and pitch better than the computer with half the stats that Willy has. He'll become a waste of fate cards and/or shuffle whistles. He also makes it impossible to become captain in your second year.

Including all of that i think buying the bat MAKES Alvin leave the team

"I sincerely believe that there is nothing truly great in any man or woman except their character, their willingness to move beyond the realm of self and into a greater realm of selflessness. Giving back is the ultimate talent in life.."
– Ozzie Smith

"Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps."
-Willie Mays

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings." -Earl Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:01 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Wait a minute.
Are you talking about 2nd year or 3rd year captain?
What I'm talking about is after the 2nd year Toby leaves, so he has to give the captainship to someone. He always says, Hey (insert name here)! How about becoming the new captain?
And then it's a fate card decision. All of them make Marvin the captain. :?

Is there any way to be captain then???

by the way, I only bought the bat because I started out clumsy and only had yes cards. :(
I hate the bat too (although Willy is a better pitcher than me)

What are Willy's stats anyway? Is there some way to find them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:21 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
I always thought you had to win either the last game of the season or the championship year 2 to become captain year 3. I would need someone to confirm this because I haven't played through in a while where I got to be captain only in year 3, I've just either not gotten captain at all or got it year 2 and year 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:37 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
I'm not 100% sure if it is buying the bat that causes this random occurrence, but sometimes, you can never be captain no matter what card you use.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:08 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I won the championship Year 2. There's your confirmation.

MrWelz, you're probably right. I tried all the cards before, picking the Marvin Card is best because all the others make Becky like you less. Still, all of them make Marvin captain :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:17 pm 
Ace
Ace

duke776 wrote:
I always thought you had to win either the last game of the season or the championship year 2 to become captain year 3. I would need someone to confirm this because I haven't played through in a while where I got to be captain only in year 3, I've just either not gotten captain at all or got it year 2 and year 3.

You can be captain in year 2 as long as you don't buy Bison's bat and you use the Challenge card when Robert asks you. As long as you get that option, you can become captain in year 3 without fate cards just selecting yes twice when Toby asks you. You don't have to win anything in year 2 unless you are already captain.

Longball714 wrote:
Wait a minute.
What I'm talking about is after the 2nd year Toby leaves, so he has to give the captainship to someone. He always says, Hey (insert name here)! How about becoming the new captain?

by the way, I only bought the bat because I started out clumsy and only had yes cards. :(

1. Both years. Without the bat Robert will ask you and you will use fate cards at the end of year 1. You must use a challenge card.
If you use any other card, Toby will become captain and he will ask you. no fate cards needed.
2. If you have to use fate cards, Yes has worked for me but I haven't gone that route in a while so I'm not 100% sure.
3. I think you can see Willy's stats if you pause during a game and select the "Score" option. For example, if you used a Marvin Card he will control Marvin. Select "Score" in the Pause menu and highlight Marvin. You will see Willy's stats instead of Marvin's usual stats

Last edited by calislim on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Thanks calislim.

If I use Yes my character always says "Um, I guess?" and Toby changes his mind to marvin.
If I use Challenge my character says "...I'll be better than any upperclassmen..." and then Toby changes his mind.
The other two are obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:39 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Giants
calislim wrote:
duke776 wrote:

You can be captain in year 2 as long as you don't buy Bison's bat and you use the Challenge card when Robert asks you. As long as you get that option, you can become captain in year 3 without fate cards just selecting yes twice when Toby asks you. You don't have to win anything in year 2 unless you are already captain.

Longball714 wrote:
Wait a minute.

1. Both years. Without the bat Robert will ask you and you will use fate cards at the end of year 1. You must use a challenge card.
If you use any other card, Toby will become captain and he will ask you. no fate cards needed.
2. If you have to use fate cards, Yes has worked for me but I haven't gone that route in a while so I'm not 100% sure.
3. I think you can see Willy's stats if you pause during a game and select the "Score" option. For example, if you used a Marvin Card he will control Marvin. Select "Score" in the Pause menu and highlight Marvin. You will see Willy's stats instead of Marvin's usual stats

I don't know how, but my current guy (year 1) is captain...but that's also because i made the roster my first season too. The funny thing is I bought this game back in december for my present from Santa and i didn't actually play it until the middle of last month and I would always get frustrated because my guys always sucked and i never made it to the majors. Anyways, What I've noticed is that if you choose a challenge card (after you get the bat from bison) sometimes you'll come off too confident and Toby gets the job, but you'll almost always ge the job 3rd year....

I noticed now that the question was already answered above me...feelin a little bit like an @$$ right about now :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:41 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

What???

No offense, but according to the wiki and other people, almost everything you said was impossible. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Giants
Longball714 wrote:
What???

No offense, but according to the wiki and other people, almost everything you said was impossible. :lol:

What was impossible? the fact that it took me 8 months to pick up on the Power Pros Fever? all true my friend, its all true. I will take a look again, but like I said right after (robin's older brother) left, the captain spot was offered and i picked it up...Like i said, or should've said, I could be mistaken...but I will make sure that I'm not blowing smoke up your ___.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:35 pm 
Ace
Ace

bigc21 wrote:
Longball714 wrote:
What???

What was impossible? the fact that it took me 8 months to pick up on the Power Pros Fever? all true my friend, its all true. I will take a look again, but like I said right after (robin's older brother) left, the captain spot was offered and i picked it up...Like i said, or should've said, I could be mistaken...but I will make sure that I'm not blowing smoke up your ___.

It think because you said "Year 1." Technically, once Robert leaves is the end of the first season. Most consider getting the captaincy then Year 2 because you don't play a game again until Year 2.