Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:10 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Goggles are too unreliable for me, esp batting (where mistakes go down the middle and you miss a golden opp. to slam one). I prefer to do my own guessing (and usually do pretty well).

Yes, they are accurate, but I use it as a crutch too often, and it fails me in season mode (since it's not there), so I've sworn off of it.

I'm a decent enough to call and place pitches to get the outs needed be it by strikeout or a fly out or a GIDP... I've yet to have an opponent (even superstars) get more than 2 hits in a row against me or get more than 2 runs in one inning (success mode only :P)

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:44 am 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

Favorite Team: Tigers
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
i broke a success record for most runs scored in a inning is 9 again those muscle men

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:09 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
The Rookie charm eliminates double plays. It turns too slowly. And on a fly ball with runners off the base (caught in center field) the center fielder decided to throw to third base instead of second base which was much closer.

Result: Only two outs (one from before), two runners in scoring position - next batter (A-Rod) hit a double.

But - I beat the Superstar game again yesterday - 4-3 another closer one. My guy hit 3 home runs, giving me three more hot zones. I guess that it is possible to get a win and good performance. I like the goggles though. If it's down the middle by accident, it usually goes slower, and with the Rookie Charm's help, I can get around in time.

Yesterday was a good day for me, I also got a Gambling Ring again, in only half an hour of save/loading.

Pr. Sense is overrated. I don't think it's that bad. Besides, I think the beginning stats are worth it. I started off with 2,F,F,F,E,F,G instead of the usual 1,G,F,F,G,G,G or something like that. My guy already was an A for contact before the second season starts.

I only realized a few days ago that there are many teams you can face for you first game. I originally though it was only Narcissus, but I have since faced the Iron Stones and Mach Impalas (they suck, their fielding is absolutely horrendous).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:51 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

dont be captain in your 1st year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
Captaincy has no real benefits I can tell unless it boosts your XP on every occasion. Otherwise I'd leave it to Toby and Alvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:57 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Esp don't be captain in 2nd year if you are a Catcher. You learn to catch Alvin's knuckleball (which btw, doesn't really have that much movement on it...) and have a chance to earn the STAR and Grt Catcher abilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:20 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

how can i beat the champion rings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:03 pm 
Head Coach
Head Coach

patience is a virtue in baseball... Wait for your pitch, don't go swinging at everything like Nomar...

For pitching, mix it up. Don't use the same pitch pattern or locations over and over. Come in with a first pitch fastball every time, and your in for a quick shower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:31 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

To beat Champion Rings, use a Rookie Charm. Normally, it's impossible to get a hit, but the charm helps me get hits even against the Superstars. Goggles are helpful at locating pitches as well. CHG always goes down, as do PALM and 2SFB. Just hope your pitchers don't give up a lot of runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:43 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

I gave Alvin captaincy during the 3rd year and when I learned his Mirage Knuckler, it gave me the "Sparkplug" ability, the description was akin to "Your batting results affect your fellow teammates" so I assume if I bat well, so will everyone else. I managed to beat teams rather handily with my 'B' PWR - 3 TRJ catcher with a few homers each game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:30 pm 
Designated Poster
Designated Poster

its funny in season mode the opponent hits a ball off there foot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:09 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I use the gambling ring all the time and don't waste time dating/studying.

How come I still can't get all A's, let alone all A's plus abilities?

Am I working too much? I think the money is really useful for equipment, H-Recovery, Goggles, Presents, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:10 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

My general strategy is this:

At first, study study study until the coach arrives. Even then I mix up studying (when in the blue/green/high yellow) with training (yellow and red) saving/reloading as often as needed.

I then get the job command and get over $400 (over because some random events make you spend money). The $400 is for the purchase of the $200 Mind Training Necklace and the $200 Recovery Necklace. I continue to study until I reach or get near Professor skill, so I can unlock the hidden capabilities of bats, gloves and spikes. Once I obtain Professor I sell the Mind Training Necklace as you will easily pass your exams and you'll make money back. The Recovery Necklace is so that I always have Vitality for training.

I never gamble on PWR because it's a waste. I also seem to accumulate a large amount of Mentality points that I never use, so occasionally I'll gamble on a Blue or Green skill that uses a lot of Mentality points to get decent odds and keep me from reloading as often.

I only date on Christmas and Valentines, so that's another $400 or so out of pocket for a present each Christmas. Quitting the pizza job and getting home improvement work helps a bit, but I found the mob jobs a good change especially if you can get it at the end of year 2, just quit the home improvement job (if called in, just don't work that day) and work mob jobs till you run out, then get the dishwashing job or whatever you can find. By then money shouldn't be a problem.

The easiest way to get into the minors is to A) be a pitcher with a wicked couple of breaking balls (Splitter, Curve, Palm) and decent speed, or B) a solid-as-hell hitter, at least 'C' PWR by 2nd year 4th Week of May. A mediocre pitcher and an excellent fielder will have a very hard time winning games, let alone get the scout's approval.

I do a few other things but that's the gist of it. So far I've never:

Got my dad to help me train
Met with Dr. Goodjob after initial encounter
Obtained a Gambling Ring
Hooked up with Becky for any reasonable amount of time

So take my ideas with a grain of salt if you do your characters different :lol:

http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glenridge_Posse - Link to the passwords of 30 custom players on the Arrange Team GlenRidge Posse. Put 'em in as an expansion team next time you start a Season and see if you can beat them in the World Series :) This is for MLB Power Pros 2007 for the Wii

3DS XL Friend code for Pokeymans X: 2122-6212-5139

Minecraft! Contact me with your Minecraft login name to get Whitelisted.
Server address: mc.mlbppworld.com
Overworld map: http://mc.mlbppworld.com:8123

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:19 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

That's a good idea - selling mind training necklace. That's the 100 I spend on Psychic Goggles (cant win without them)!

Yeah, I haven't done anything you haven't except for gambling ring (which I've had three of - although my first one broke and I didn't save/load). Gambling Ring isn't really that hard. It should only take half to a full hour of save/loading. The first I got it was on a first try (all Surprise Bags) when I didn't know there was such thing, the second took one hour of my life (sooooo boring), and the third took half an hour (sooooooooo much of a relief).

Mr. Sims said power was the easiest to level up, but I think not. So much of the other stats and abilities require the strength points that Power does. I have a guy that's 4 A's. 1 B, and an F. Guess what category the F is in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:50 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Have you tried pr sense/good stats? I feel sense ability, while helpful, loses most of its value when you gamble. From my experience though, sense does seem to factor in on learning items hidden abilities, but gambling reduces the need for these somewhat. (Speaking of which, what are the abilities of Marvin's bat?)

You might be working too much. I only buy the mind-training, recovery necklaces, a present for Anna if needed, and some equipment to boost stats and get some abilities. But that's just my strategy; I know others follow different ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next