All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dream Draft Strategies
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:54 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
I'm going to start a new season soon and I'm going to do a dream draft. I thought that it would be a good idea to put up a thread for all Power Pro fans to use when they do a Dream Draft.
My tips:
ALWAYS register created players AFTER the draft. Otherwise you'll lose them in the draft.
Draft Albert Pujols first, unless you have some insanely good edited player you want to draft first.
Save and reload until you get the players you want (within reason).
Chase Utley and Brian McCann (C con A pow 2B and B con A pow Catcher) are available until the fifth round. It would make sense to draft one 3rd and the next 4th, unless you were lucky enough to get Robinson Cano in the second round (rare, but happens)
Very good shortstops, catchers, left fielders, and second basemen go quickly.
I suggest having a success mode third baseman and/or shortstop. Mike Schmidt (3B) is a good choice. (Search the site for his password)
If you can get Pujols, Utley, and McCann, you'll have all the power you'll need. For the rest of the draft, go with speedsters, contact hitters, defensive wizards, and pitchers, of course. (If you can snatch a guy like Juan Rivera later, grab him)
You can get David DeJesus (good CF) in the 6th or 7th round I think - somebody verify this
You can get Juan Rivera (C con A pow RF, can play all three OF positions decently) at about the same time as DeJesus.
Felix Hernandez - often available as a 2nd round pick - EXTREMELY valuable (especially after a few seasons)
If anybody has more tips go ahead and post! This is for the benefit of everybody!

Post subject: Re: Dream Draft Strategies
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:13 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Pirates
Well, it's not much, but, you can get Manny, Big Papi, and Dice-K in the first three rounds with a few tries.

Ocean City Bucs on Baseball Boss, every single fantasy baseball/football/hockey team, and SimYard.

Let's see, which minor league lineup will the Pirates put together today? :lol:

GO PENS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Braves
Actually, Big Papi sticks around a long time. No need to draft him in the first few rounds. I think I've seen him available even after round 15. I think it's b/c his salary is so high.

Here's how I suggest beginning the DREAM DRAFT:

Rds 1 - 5:
Liriano, Felix, McCann, Wright, Utley
COMMENT: I don't think you need to get Pujols. Hafner is almost as good stat-wise (though with fewer blue abilities), ALOT cheaper, and can often be picked in Rd 14. You won't find a pitcher remotely resembling Liriano that late.

Rds 6 & 7: get a closer and another starter. Good choices at this point are Street/Putz/Neshek/Geary for closer and Haren/Harden/Hensley/Igawa as potential starters.

Rd 8, I like Juan Rivera, RF

I'll do some more research (I love drafting!) and post it here for the middle & later rounds.

Last edited by jtrain on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:29 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Some more drafting info for the next 8 rounds of the draft . . .

Rd. 9 I try to get Victorino (rare) or Granderson for CF

Rd. 10 Broxton, Gregg, or McBride

Rd. 11 JJ Hardy -- bad bat, but good defensively, may still be available a round or two later.

Rd. 12 Sherrill or League

Rd. 13 Cole Hamels

Rd. 14 Travis Hafner

Rd. 15 Scott Olsen, if he's gone, E. Santana or J. Verlander (or Y Molina and take Verlander in Rd 16)

Rd. 16 Y Molina, if available or Luke Scott if not

Follow these steps and you'll have the foundation for a competitive (for simming) and lost cost team, which is crucial if you are going for the "GM-experience".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:50 pm 
Starter
Starter

Favorite Team: Giants
I cant remember the exact draft order, but I took Hanley Ramirez, Ryan Braun, Felix Hernandez, Tim Lincecum, Carmona, Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard(DH), Cole Hamels, Joba Chamberlain,Hunter Pence, Kousmanoff, B. Harris, Correia, Chulk, S. Baker, T. Gorzelanny,Josh Hamilton, Luke Scott, Dobbs, and a bunch of cheap, decent bullpen arms. My total salary after the draft was just over 13000 :lol:

I added 2 created pitchers one R one L handed starters, I added my catcher, SS, and CF created players too, bringing my salary to just over 72000. I now have a lineup that looks like this:

1)Created pitcher RH
2)Created pitcher LH
3) F. Hernandez RH
4)Cole Hamels LH
5)Tim Lincecum RH

swing man is Carmona

Gorzelanny/ S. Baker is long relief

Chulk, Correia, J. Sanchez middle relief pen

Rowland-Smith situational LH

J. Chamberlain closer

Lineup:

1)Created Player CF 15 con,188 pow,15 run 4 Traj
2)Created Player SS 15 con, 199 pow, 15 run 4 Traj
3)Created Player C 15 con, 255 pow,15 run 4 traj
4)Ryan Braun LF 11 con, 215 pow, 9 run 4 traj
5)Prince Fielder 1B 9 con, 217 pow, 5 run 4 traj
6)Ryan Howard DH 9 con, 207 pow, 5 run 4 traj
7)Hanley Ramirez 2B 12 con, 182 pow, 12 run 3 traj
8 )Hunter Pence RF 11 con, 167 pow, 8 run 3 traj
9)Kevin Kousmanoff 3B 8 con, 157 pow, 8 run 3 traj

Bench: Matt kemp, L. Scott,Josh Hamilton,B. Harris

I really think I got some of the best young talent in the league on this draft, and all come very cheaply 390-900 in salary range. Hunter Pence, Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, and Hanley Ramirez are all simply steals for their price. Being an AL team made drafting power easy too, since Howard was left still in the 10th- 13th or so round I took him as a DH, completeing a murderers row of hitters .

Any lineup where Hanley Ramirez has to bat 7th cant be too bad eh... :shock: I mainly focused on drafting power, but I got some real pitching gems too in J. Chamberlain, Lincecum, Carmona, and F. Hernandez. Cole Hamels aint half bad either, and his price is right.

All in all a very successful draft for me since I went in knowing I could leave holes at SS, C, and CF plus 2 starting spots- now I have some great chips to bargain with in trades since I have some real fine pitchers not being used much, and some good bench players who could command decent value on trades.

Heck I could take out my created players and its still a real solid team aside from needing to trade for a catcher... but its more fun to play the players success mode made me, and dominate on powerful setting :wink:

Last edited by SlimPickens on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the info Slim. Is this from PP 2007? I'm thinking maybe it's '08 since I'm not even sure if Joba, Braun & Lincecum are in the '07 version. Plus Howard is always gone by the 4th rd. in '07 version (after his monster 2006).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:52 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
its kevin kousmanoff, not kelly kousmanoff. :lol:

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:42 pm 
Starter
Starter

Opps... Kevin Kousmanoff. Decent bat, but bad fielding 3rd baseman - best available in the later rounds in that draft.

And yeah, this is an 08 draft. Sorry it crossed forum lines :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:12 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Japanese title: (DS) Nettou! Powerful Koushien
SlimPickens wrote:
Opps... Kevin Kousmanoff. Decent bat, but bad fielding 3rd baseman - best available in the later rounds in that draft.

And yeah, this is an 08 draft. Sorry it crossed forum lines :shock:

its ok. I'll start a new topic in the 08 forum.
and again, u misspelled a word. oops. not opps. i do that too sometimes.

"I accept that other people have different preferences. Even when those preferences include facial tattoos and stretch pants constructed from sufficient material to shelter a small village. And their livestock. Some men enjoy dancing with other men without their tops on while others prefer the company of a woman two KFC family buckets away from upsetting the planet's rotational axis."
-David Thorne