All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gambling Ring?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Pirates
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Okay. I'm new to the forums and have only done 4 Success Mode characters. What exactly is the Gambling Ring and how do you get it? (Yes, I'm going to be one of those save/restart people.) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:58 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
The Gambling Ring is the single most important item for making a successful success player.

You know what Gambling Tickets do right? They allow you to gamble for stats or abilities as along as you have a fraction of the point total needed for every category. obviously if you have 0 points in strength, you won't able to gamble to a strength point needed stat. If you're successful you lose the points, and get the ability. if not, you lose all the points.

A Gambling Ring is a perpetual gambling ticket. As long as you have the ring, you can gamble whenever you want, given that you have at least the 1 points needed. The best characters are made if you gamble every turn, and with every point. Although more points will lead to higher success rates, the results will be diminished. For example, if you get a one point of strength you can gamble for a power upgrade. The next week you may get another point. Therefore, you can gamble twice. However, you could gamble after two weeks with 2 points- high success rate - but still get only one upgrade. If you can stand 3 A's instead of 5, you can gamble when the success rate is above 20%.

Warning: Save before each gamble. If you aren't successful you lose points, which prevents a potential ability. But the ring may also break. Even if you are successful, it may also break. Don't save if that happens. Once it breaks, you can't use it again, and chances of getting another one is slim to none. Plus, at the end of the game, you can sell it (you won't need it again - sell everything but equipment) for $275 which can go towards equipment or surprise bags- which can net ability books.

How to get it:

The most common way is through Annie, the braniac girl who asks you to do math work. Once you complete all of her work, she'll watch practice some time and give you her number. Date her on the first Christmas after her number (year 2 dec wk 4). Make sure you have a $200 gift (bear, heart pendant, handbag) and she'll give you a surprise bag. Save before opening it. Save/Reload until the bag produces the gambling ring. Save immediately after. If not, quit, and restart.

Other ways are random events that may never happen.

There is a random event where you clean your room and find a surprise bag. Do the same as above until the ring is produced.

Sometimes there is a Shady Accessories Store that appears. You must pay $200 first. Sometimes they stock gambling rings and surprise bags. The bags also can have the ring if you save/load enough.

Your professor may sometimes give you a homework assignment. Complete it and a few weeks later, he'll collect it and give you something. Occasionally you'll get a surprise bag.

You can also get it at the final customization screen when complete you character. The store always stocks surprise bags. If you're lucky (can't save/load here) there'll be a ring. It's useless at this point (maybe not if you have a few leftover point) but can be resold for more than it cost.

So the ability to get stats/abilities for up to 95% (any lower is just asking for an hour of save/loading) less than the original amount. Yeah, it's useful. The biggest drawback: save/loading to get it from the surprise bag may take over an hour.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:46 am 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
J-Gao wrote:
The Gambling Ring is the single most important item for making a successful success player.

You can make excellent success mode characters using gambling tickets, Gambling Rings are for ultra-insane have-A's-in-every-stat-and-every-blue-ability type character.

http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glenridge_Posse - Link to the passwords of 30 custom players on the Arrange Team GlenRidge Posse. Put 'em in as an expansion team next time you start a Season and see if you can beat them in the World Series :) This is for MLB Power Pros 2007 for the Wii

3DS XL Friend code for Pokeymans X: 2122-6212-5139

Minecraft! Contact me with your Minecraft login name to get Whitelisted.
Server address: mc.mlbppworld.com
Overworld map: http://mc.mlbppworld.com:8123

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:03 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Lol DS!

But he is right. If you're dying for an A+ steroids infused Rocket launcher of a player, the gambling ring and a few other tricks will get you there.

However, you can get a solid AAA player with abilities without it, and in season mode he can develop into quite a player.

I'm not into the big As-cross-the-board-ability-laden-SALARY-SUCKING player (notice, that's the part that kills you, you have been warned) and I prefer to play undermanned teams and work them up to the WS in 2-3 years still WELL under the luxury tax cap.

The forum, and the wiki will guide you through most of success mode without too much of a hitch (like, why you should avoid marvin like the plague in most events).

Welcome to the forum, and we hope to see you help contribute!

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:15 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Favorite Team: Pirates
Thanks everyone, especially J-Gao! I will start on the save/restart journey as soon as my brother is done playing Guitar Hero. I hopefully won't have to restart as many times because I'm generally the luckiest one in my family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:01 pm 
3rd Base Coach
3rd Base Coach

Favorite Team: Astros
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
baseballexpert16 wrote:
Thanks everyone, especially J-Gao! I will start on the save/restart journey as soon as my brother is done playing Guitar Hero. I hopefully won't have to restart as many times because I'm generally the luckiest one in my family.

Assume that you will.