Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about MLB Power Pros
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ok, now that baseball season is under way, I decided to get a new game. But the reviews for MLB 2K08 were average, and MLB Power Pros caught my eye on metacritic. After reading some reviews, I couldn't be more excited to give this game a shot. I just ordered it, so I should be getting it in a couple of days.

I know the players are doll-like, but I don't care. I'm more of a stats geek and I prefer gameplay realism more than visual realism. So what are the biggest gripes about this game? Does it ever get too easy? If I start winning every game 10-0 I will not have fun anymore.

Are the statistics pretty realistic? For example, does the CPU throw strikes only, or will it walk a couple of batters each game?

And, finally, where should I start once I get this game? Does the success mode need to be completed a couple times to unlock certain things?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I can't wait to play this game based on everything I've read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:05 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
I have 2k8 and power pros and I think power pros is the much better game. It's hard to get a walk, so that isn't very realistic. You won't see many sabermetrics in this game. The only fielding stats are errors, fld %, passed ball, range factor, and innings played. It won't be too easy once you turn it up to the highest difficulty. You can start anywhere you want, it doesn't really matter. The stats in season mode are unrealistic with maxed out success guys(just look at my sig).

3rd year in season mode Roger Clemens.

.03 ERA. 286.1 IP 32-0 27 Shutouts 28 CG.
664 K, 2.32 K/IP, .04 OPP BA, .06 OPP SLG, .092 OPP OBP, 16.2 K/BB

Highest K/IP ever F. Hernandez 2.37!!

6th Year Posada-.534/.591/.762 405 H, 70 2B, 14 3B, 25 HR, 393 RBI, 2.39 BB/K, 91 SB, 1.353 OPS.

Last edited by The-F on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:06 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

The biggest drawbacks may be the vast amount of features. So many that some may be missed. Also, after finishing Season Mode, you have to watch all the credits, which is quite boring.

Also, the amount walks is unbelievably low, and HBP's aren't that hard to get.

As far as realistic outcomes, the default settings won't get you that. But most of us change it so that it becomes much more realistic. For example, while Lock-On for batting is the default (the bat moves towards the ball if close enough) many switch it to normal. You can take out the strike zone and pitching cursor so it is harder to aim. You can also set it so that if you don't press A at the proper release point for the pitcher, some control and velocity will be lost. The fielding and b-running controls are kind of tricky, but they can be set to semi-auto (you control lead runner only or fielders automatically get to ball, then you control throw). Or you can make them automatic. Even the levels of auto can be changed, if you want them to field better or just average.

Success Mode is my favorite part of the game, and it can be (but not a must) used in every mode, including Season.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

[quote="The-F"]I have 2k8 and power pros and I think power pros is the much better game. It's hard to get a walk, so that isn't very realistic. You won't see many sabermetrics in this game. The only fielding stats are errors, fld %, passed ball, range factor, and innings played. It won't be too easy once you turn it up to the highest difficulty. You can start anywhere you want, it doesn't really matter. The stats in season mode are unrealistic with maxed out success guys(just look at my sig).[/quote]

I haven't ever played a baseball game with realistic walks yet anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. But are there AI sliders at all?

I see your sig. Do you have to max out success guys in season mode? Or is it possible to stick with the defaults so as not to become too dominant?

Edit: I can't figure out why the <quote> tags aren't working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:22 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

You can make success guys as good as you wanted, granted, they still have to be good enough to pass through success mode, although you could just be good at gameplay as the opponents aren't that great.

In season mode, each player will improve as the season's progress, but you can increase the amount gained by buying practice items. The only anomalies here are for older players 37+, who will have their stats deteriorate, sometimes quite rapidly.

When you say "AI sliders" I assume you mean the breaking ball? Each pitcher has a different set of pitches (which you can check during the game)? They will throw each and every one, but the patterns and placements will change depending on the level of difficulty (novice, normal, all-star, powerful).

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:24 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

InvinciBill wrote:
Edit: I can't figure out why the <quote> tags aren't working.

Works for me.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:24 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

The only sliders are to make pitching, baserunning, batting, and fielding better overall not one aspect of it. Well in 2k8 most pitchers will throw balls when you're 0-2 until it's a full count. You can max out guys in success mode but it will take forever so I just make all A guys instead of going all out like mrsims did. Just using the guys in the game already, the stats are very exagerated. Power hitters will be hitting like .250 without A contact and top pitchers will get sub 3 ERAs.

3rd year in season mode Roger Clemens.

.03 ERA. 286.1 IP 32-0 27 Shutouts 28 CG.
664 K, 2.32 K/IP, .04 OPP BA, .06 OPP SLG, .092 OPP OBP, 16.2 K/BB

Highest K/IP ever F. Hernandez 2.37!!

6th Year Posada-.534/.591/.762 405 H, 70 2B, 14 3B, 25 HR, 393 RBI, 2.39 BB/K, 91 SB, 1.353 OPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:36 pm 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
You *do* have the option of turning off the ability for players to advance their skills in season mode if you want to want to sim seasons without having the numbers skewed by player abilities getting better as the season progresses. Otherwise the realism gets shot because players quickly become unbalanced against what the CPU sees as "normal" ability levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:51 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
When I play with Lock on batting mode I think it gets too easy and
I usually get the score up to around 10-0, so I suggest turning it to normal batting mode. But not everyone plays the same so you should probably play some exhibitons and see which is best for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:57 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I do lock-on 5, but that's because I love seeing myself (success mode) hit home runs, even though I kind of suck in real life. Living a fantasy. :lol: :P 8)

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:19 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I have the computer set to Lock-on 1 and I'm on Normal and I think I need to up the difficulty a bit even still.

The only big drawback I know from PP is outdated rosters (not too outdated but there were a lot of offseason moves and rookies who are starting that aren't in the game)

As for the quoting, try using just

Code:
[quote] [/quote]

instead of quoting someone by name

http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glenridge_Posse - Link to the passwords of 30 custom players on the Arrange Team GlenRidge Posse. Put 'em in as an expansion team next time you start a Season and see if you can beat them in the World Series :) This is for MLB Power Pros 2007 for the Wii

3DS XL Friend code for Pokeymans X: 2122-6212-5139

Minecraft! Contact me with your Minecraft login name to get Whitelisted.
Server address: mc.mlbppworld.com
Overworld map: http://mc.mlbppworld.com:8123