Power Pros Forum

A community-run forum for Power Pros
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Changing the fielder you control?
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:40 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Swashbuckla wrote:
It's still something that needs to be tweaked on the PS2. I have a hard time selecting a fielder, especially when the ball is in play. Here's a scenario:

There will be a pop fly in the infield b/w the catcher, pitcher and 1st baseman. I have control of the pitcher to catch the ball. As I approach the spot of where the ball will drop, the icon switches (without me pressing anything) to the catcher. Still having time to get to the drop spot of the ball, I use the catcher to get to the spot. Then the icon switches again and again and then the ball drops.

Has this happened to anyone of you Wii owners or even you PS2 owners? Please tell me that I'm not crazy!

You can fix the icon on a player using R1, according to p13 of the PS2 manual.

p13/Fielding Controls/Moving a fielder wrote:
Press the R1 button to fix the mark on the fielder you are controlling, or press the L1 button to move the mark to a fielder who is close to the ball

I never use it, but I know it works because I've toggled it a couple of times by accident.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Athletics
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
odawali wrote:
skdyer wrote:
Alright, there seems to be a general consensus that the L Button on the Classic Controller can be used to switch fielders but the question still remains:

How can you switch fielders using the Nunchuk/Wiimote setup?

Does anyone know the answer to this??

Maybe it's bugged and does not work on the other controller. OR, maybe it IS working but not the way you intend it to, leading you to conclude it isn't working.

BTW, did you find the section of the manual I mentioned ("Fielding controls" page, "Moving a fielder" section)? What does it say there?

Yes, I did look in the manual and it doesn't indicate how to change the fielder you are controlling. I don't think there is a bug. I am just looking for some sort of confirmation of how to change fielders with the Wiimote/Nunchuk. Someone out there must know how to do this!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:49 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The Wii manual, like the PS 2 manual, does indicate that by pressing the "B" Button that you can fix control of the fielder on the currently selected fielder but UNLIKE the PS2 manual it does not indicate what button you press to change the currently selected fielder.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:24 pm 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

skdyer wrote:
The Wii manual, like the PS 2 manual, does indicate that by pressing the "B" Button that you can fix control of the fielder on the currently selected fielder but UNLIKE the PS2 manual it does not indicate what button you press to change the currently selected fielder.

That's good, at least now we know there's something different going on with the Wii version.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:37 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I tested this for about an hour last night in Fielding Practice on the Wii. Sometimes, I could hit A and it would switch, say for a roller or line drive. I could not determine if it was automatic and just coincided with my button push.

So I hit about 100 pop ups to shallow center, and it gave me the 2nd baseman every time. I hit every button on the Wiimote and nunchuck, and never got control of the CF. He came and stood right next to the ball, and watched it drop, 100 times.

I am thoroughly convinced that this is a design flaw; they did not build in a Wiimote/nunchuck control for the player to switch fielders.

On the bright side, I learned some new controls:
Z - hit the cutoff man from OF (i was always wondering)
C - fake a throw

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Braves
Wow! You can fake a throw? I have to try that on the PS2 tonight.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:59 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Alloutwar wrote:
I tested this for about an hour last night in Fielding Practice on the Wii. Sometimes, I could hit A and it would switch, say for a roller or line drive. I could not determine if it was automatic and just coincided with my button push.

So I hit about 100 pop ups to shallow center, and it gave me the 2nd baseman every time. I hit every button on the Wiimote and nunchuck, and never got control of the CF. He came and stood right next to the ball, and watched it drop, 100 times.

I am thoroughly convinced that this is a design flaw; they did not build in a Wiimote/nunchuck control for the player to switch fielders.

C - fake a throw

First of all, thank you for devoting so much time to trying to figure this out.

That is incredibly disappointing that such important functionality is only available with the Classic Controller or Gamecube controller. Let's hope that is fixed in 2008.

Anyway, I still encourage others if they figure this out to report it to the forum.

Regarding your other discoveries, I believe the "B" Button on the Wiimote also throws to the cutoff man.

Also, yes, the C button does definitely fake a throw. I believe that is buried somewhere in the manual.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:36 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Thanks - t'weren't nothing, i was fighting with the gf and didnt want to go to bed until she was snoring. perfect distration!

Yes, if anyone else figures anything out please post. I won't be offended if it turns out I am a moron. And the more we can share about this questionably-translated, less-than-perfectly-documented game, the better! Hence the Wiki!!!

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:50 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

What confuses me about this whole situation is why there isn't more of an uproar about this? Do most people use Classic Controller or the Gamecube controller? I feel like the ability to manually switch to the fielder closest to the ball is one of the most fundamental control needs of any baseball video game. Why doesn't this drive everyone nuts???

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:55 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Maybe it requires a combination of two buttons at once?

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Alloutwar wrote:

C - fake a throw

I have some additional insight into this that might help with the investigation. I just tried what you did. I went into fielding practice and hit pop fly's to center field. I tried every possible single button and combination of buttons with the Nunchuk/Wiimote and was completely unable to switch fielders. Then I switched to the Classic Controller and tried using the L shoulder button which I had heard could be used to switch fielders. It didn't work.

So, I switched to a full fledged exhibition game and tried again with the classic controller. This time it worked. So it appears that possible the switch fielder functionality is switched off in the fielding practice mode. Continuing with the investigation I switched back to the nunchuk/wiimote with the exhibition game and continued to try every possible button combination. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The only thing I noticed was that if you hit the B button and hold it down the yellow triangle will stop spinning above the fielder's head and no matter how far you move that fielder away from the ball control will not switch to another fielder.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '08: Nintendo DS
I am hoping they fix this in the upcoming game as it was the biggest problem I had with the game. Ruined so many perfect games for me... :x

I use the Wiimote/Nunchuck combination myself. I'm surprised so many people have the classic controller to even test this out.

Nice work on the cutoff man control though, that's already helped me. I've been enjoying the fake for ages as my brother likes to steal! :lol:

DIY-Sports Baseball

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I haven't been back here since it was still GlenRidge...I always wondered why there wasn't more discussion on the fielding controls, especially grounders btw SS/3B and slow grounders up the middle, that drives me especially crazy.

I've found that pressing C or Z will toggle the fielder. It's not an exact science, but usually I press C and this does the job, sometimes Z, sometimes both. Knowing this, I'm sure you guys can fine tune the controls a little more.

As for holding B, I'm sure most people know, but just in case, this holds the control over a particular fielder no matter what. Becomes especially useful in texas leaguers or flyballs to right,left center.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Cubs
I hate getting those popups near third base where the game can't decide who should catch it, my third baseman, pitcher, or catcher, and the ball ends up dropping just barely fair for an infield single.

Go check out my Royals season mode log!

Return to Royalty | Kansas City Royals