All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Marvin Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:08 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Since the release of Rsoohoo's Marvin, there has been talk of what to do with such a giddy klutz of a player.

This challenge requires more than 1 Marvin. It actually requires a roster full of them!

What good are 25 Marvins? A challenge to see how good you truly are at playing the game of baseball.

These rules are still under negotiation of their "able to do"-ness as well as waiting for a few full rosters to work with.

Once we have a set of 30 or so Marvins on a list (which will be on the wiki). You can select your 25 man roster and AAA guys to add into the system.

You will need to provide proof of your season standings at the end of each year you play.

Here's the rules:
  1. The goal is to win as many world championships in 10 seasons as possible while still staying in the black. The most World Series Rings in 10 years on each CPU level is the winner.
  2. Marvin's are the only characters allowed on the 25 man roster at any time.
  3. Extra Marvins may be in held in reserve in AAA. At the beginning of Year 1, only Marvins are allowed in AAA.
  4. You can trade Marvins as long as rule 2 still applies.
  5. Draft picks must remain in AAA. If you are smart, you'll find a good use for them.
  6. Character Restrictions for Marvin Characters:
    Code:
    Power: 0 (G)
    Trajectory: 1
    All Fielding Abilities: 1 (G)
    Control:  --- (G) *under review*
    Stamina: --- (G) *under review*
    Abilities: Gd Morale and any Red abilities
  7. You must you the DEFAULT player scheme already in place, IE no updated rosters, no stat inflated/deflated edited players.
  8. The Standard Teams must be in the leagues and divisions as of the 2007 season.
  9. Your Marvin Squad (which may be named anything you wish) will be added to the AL WEST or AL CENTRAL. The other arrange team squad should be arranged in the other division (Central/West) to keep the 5/6/5 team balance like in the NL. This arrange team can also be named whatever you like and must be composed of players already in the MLB.
  10. CPU AI Level: Expert or higher, this defines what category your in.
  11. You are allowed to use the same level of Assisted Baserunning as the CPU AI does
  12. Player Batting = Normal
  13. Player Improvement is on
  14. Handicap is off, form is hidden
  15. Should there be a tie, the tie breakers go as follows
    Code:
    *# of WS appearances
    *# of ALCS/NLCS appearances
    *# of playoff appearances
    *# of division wins
    *# of winning seasons
    *Overall Playoff win/loss record
    *Overall Regular Season win/loss record

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

Post subject: Re: The Marvin Challenge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:56 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
That's hilarious. I might give it a try, but with no pictures, sorry lol. You'll just have to trust me. I'm not good enough to win, so it wouldn't matter.
If someone gets enough Marvins for all the positions, it should be interesting. I made a Marvin earliar but he's actually pretty good with all As in fielding. This wouldn't be the Marvin I'd use. I also made another Marvin that had the exact same stats as Marvin in Success Mode, but once I finished the game and he made it to the majors I forgot to save the second screen and lost him (GRRR! Second time I've done that. I just lost my closer I made because I didn't save him so I just edited a free agent to look like him and have the exact same abilities). Anyone have any pictures of a Marvin character? Mines not too close to the real, glorious thing. I tried

- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-Always go to other peoples' funerals otherwise they won't go to yours.
-I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
I'm on vacation for about a month.

Last edited by MaxDSterling on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no need to quote the whole thing...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
One thing I think would be a good suggestion is when making the fielders the creater should probably give him 2 2nd positions so it will take less runthroughs in success mode to make the Marvins because you can register a success character as many times as you want to.

Also, for pitchers, you would only need to make one pitcher and just register him 12 or more times.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:57 pm 
Prospect
Prospect

Favorite Team: Reds
Unfortunately that would not be doable because you would have to get rid of all your people in a team so we need enough to make an arrange team

"I sincerely believe that there is nothing truly great in any man or woman except their character, their willingness to move beyond the realm of self and into a greater realm of selflessness. Giving back is the ultimate talent in life.."
– Ozzie Smith

"Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps."
-Willie Mays

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings." -Earl Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:04 am 
Ace
Ace

SUPACLIPA wrote:
Unfortunately that would not be doable because you would have to get rid of all your people in a team so we need enough to make an arrange team

Oh, I see...too bad, it would've been much easier this way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

duke776 wrote:
SUPACLIPA wrote:

I have an idea. Right after you finish success mode and it ask you to save the first time, say no. If you say yes, your character will no longer be on success mode even if you say no to the next part.
The next time your prompted choose yes/save. Now your character will still be on success mode and saved as a team member. Do this as many times as you need for pitchers.
For fielders, just make Marvin able to play more then one position and do a set of three at once. Or use the loads of experience points you have at the very last turn to choose different alternate positions. Of course, every Marvin's original position would have to be center-field. Hey, if the real Marvin can make the switch to short-stop, why can't ours.

- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:16 pm 
Ace
Ace

cownip wrote:
duke776 wrote:
SUPACLIPA wrote:

I have an idea. Right after you finish success mode and it ask you to save the first time, say no. If you say yes, your character will no longer be on success mode even if you say no to the next part.
The next time your prompted choose yes/save. Now your character will still be on success mode and saved as a team member. Do this as many times as you need for pitchers.
For fielders, just make Marvin able to play more then one position and do a set of three at once. Or use the loads of experience points you have at the very last turn to choose different alternate positions. Of course, every Marvin's original position would have to be center-field. Hey, if the real Marvin can make the switch to short-stop, why can't ours.

Yeah, that's a good idea, and we could just get 2nd pos 4 so he's not a C at his second positions but a B. Also, say I started a character out a a Center Fielder and agreed to change positions, would I have an A at Center Field still when it's over?

Edit: nevermind...it's a C in center field

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:27 pm 
Ace
Ace

May I suggest for pitchers just use what konami used for young pitchers with little experience...88 mph 98 control 37 stamina lvl 1 slider lvl 2 change. I'm not sure if you guys would think that would be too good or not...and also someone mentioned only lvl 1 breaking balls.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:22 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Angels
I wonder how easy it would be to pitch a no hitter against a full team of these.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:04 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
I say either you get the perfect game... or the flood gates open in the late innings with that damned gd morale stat and Marvins just beaming in smiles despite being down double digits and not mustering a hit... suddenly crack of 3 consecutive base hits... and there goes the perfect game, the no hitter, and the shutout.

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:04 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

MaxDSterling wrote:
I say either you get the perfect game... or the flood gates open in the late innings with that damned gd morale stat and Marvins just beaming in smiles despite being down double digits and not mustering a hit... suddenly crack of 3 consecutive base hits... and there goes the perfect game, the no hitter, and the shutout.

Haha yep. I made a marvin and put 3 of them in my season mode team in AAA. They made the team mood jump up. Everyone was crying and now there all yellow or red (and one pink!).