All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strategy for making opposing pitchers tired
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:36 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
I'm not sure if this strategy works yet, I just thought of it in the middle of a game against the Mets, so I haven't played a full game with this strategy....

Obviously, making your opposing pitcher throw lots of pitches will make them tired, right? So here's my strategy:

When you come up to bat, set your batter to "Big Swing" in case he gets a chance to hit a homer. Let the opposing pitcher just throw pitches until he gets two strikes, then go back to normal swing and just swing at everything whether you foul off pitches, strikeout, or put it in play. The reason for having it on "Big Swing" at first is in case the pitcher accidentally throws one directly down the middle in which case you are totally prepared to crush it out of the park.

Go check out my Royals season mode log!

Return to Royalty | Kansas City Royals

Post subject: Re: Strategy for making opposing pitchers tired
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:14 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Padres
I tried that strategy but it ended up backfiring a bit. I think It was more my fault than anything. When I was trying to take more pitches, I found myself getting lazy and waiting on mistakes that never came. Instead of going after hittable pitches that weren't mistakes, I took them and then had to hack at borderline pitches that resulted in pop ups and ground outs. I didn't put too many runs across the board because of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:33 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Do you have a better strategy I can try? Because lately the opposing pitchers have been going deeper into the game than mine and it's irritating me. Plus, I'm not putting very many runs on the board lately, I used to be winning 7-0, 9-0, but now I'm winning 2-0, 3-1, very low scoring games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:26 pm 
Ace
Ace

Unfortunately, I don't really have much of a strategy. What i do do is take a bunch of pitches early in the game, work the count full with my first couple hitters If I can. I also try to make sure I make them throw at least 10 pitches an inning. A lot of pitchers will tire after 70 or so pitches. Usually if you can put up some runs, like 4 or 5 early, they wont last that long. If you can freak out a pitcher by getting a bunch of consecutive hits, his stuff diminishes and they eventually take him out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:49 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
What I do is hammer the ball early on. If he gives up 5 runs by the 3rd inning he should be out of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:15 am 
Prospect
Prospect

Favorite Team: Reds
well I have the strike zone turned off so I strike-out more but after alot of practice I memorized the strike zone (like Ted Williams :mrgreen:) and allowed pitches that are balls go by and time my swing so I would foul off or get lob shots so after the 4th inning i usually have the CPU at about 75-85 pitches

"I sincerely believe that there is nothing truly great in any man or woman except their character, their willingness to move beyond the realm of self and into a greater realm of selflessness. Giving back is the ultimate talent in life.."
– Ozzie Smith

"Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps."
-Willie Mays

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings." -Earl Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:47 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Well I began using this strategy and it TOTALLY works! You guys should try it. I got 5 runs off Bronson Arroyo of the Reds and he only lasted 4 2/3 innings. I ended up winning the game 1-8. Plus, players on my team who don't often hit home runs went yard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:20 am 
Pitching Coach
Pitching Coach

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
Hits drain more stamina than taking pitches. If you hit a pitcher hard and force him to work out of jams, he'll run out of gas earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:13 am 
Ace
Ace

odawali wrote:
Hits drain more stamina than taking pitches. If you hit a pitcher hard and force him to work out of jams, he'll run out of gas earlier.

EXACTLY!

Try to hit aggressively and get a lot of hits in a row. Don't let the pitcher get a chance to breathe. If you let him throw pitches between hits, he gets a chance to "shake it off". I think it only takes a few hits in a row (swinging on the first pitch) to make just about any pitcher start breathing heavily and maybe 4-5 hits before they start seeing stars. When this happens, it's rally time!

Of course, the harder the difficulty level you're playing, the harder it is to do, naturally.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Well when you are more patient and don't swing at the first pitch or two, you obviously do much better. I tried a new stratagy out that worked very well to get a full count. Every pitch, pretend that you are going to bunt. The pitcher will throw a lot more balls. Even with two strikes continue to "bunt" but be ready to hack off any pitches or take any good ones. I get hits much more often as the infield is commonly in and the pitcher is more likely to give up a bad pitch. If you do this for everyone in the line up, the pitchers will get tired by the 5th and start throwing mistakes. It gets to the bull-pen much faster which is generally a very good thing for the majority of teams.

- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-Always go to other peoples' funerals otherwise they won't go to yours.
-I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
I'm on vacation for about a month.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:59 am 
Ace
Ace

Well, I don't need any strategy in my season, because the Cardinals(the only close team at 2 games back, we've been switching back and forth between 1st and 2nd place the whole season) bring in pitchers that are already dead tired, it's just some stupid managing by the CPU, they will bring someone in and they will be wiping their forehead(what they do when they start to get tired) then after one batter they are breathing heavily(when a pitcher is just completely done). I'm not sure why they do this, but they bring in starting pitchers that pitched in the previous day or two, has anyone else seen this?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:05 pm 
General Manager
General Manager

Favorite Team: Braves
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
I love watching the angry ones stomp around all red in the face after a few hits/homers

http://www.mlbppworld.com/wiki/index.php?title=Glenridge_Posse - Link to the passwords of 30 custom players on the Arrange Team GlenRidge Posse. Put 'em in as an expansion team next time you start a Season and see if you can beat them in the World Series :) This is for MLB Power Pros 2007 for the Wii

3DS XL Friend code for Pokeymans X: 2122-6212-5139

Minecraft! Contact me with your Minecraft login name to get Whitelisted.
Server address: mc.mlbppworld.com
Overworld map: http://mc.mlbppworld.com:8123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:17 pm 
Ace
Ace

DarkShade wrote:
I love watching the angry ones stomp around all red in the face after a few hits/homers

Lol, I have Rich Harden and he has hot head, and I sometimes get into jams and he is always stomping around on the mound, it's pretty funny...until they score a couple runs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:49 pm 
Ace
Ace

duke776 wrote:
Well, I don't need any strategy in my season, because the Cardinals(the only close team at 2 games back, we've been switching back and forth between 1st and 2nd place the whole season) bring in pitchers that are already dead tired, it's just some stupid managing by the CPU, they will bring someone in and they will be wiping their forehead(what they do when they start to get tired) then after one batter they are breathing heavily(when a pitcher is just completely done). I'm not sure why they do this, but they bring in starting pitchers that pitched in the previous day or two, has anyone else seen this?

I've never seen it with a team as good as the Cardinals. I'll see it with perennial cellar dwellers like KC. That usually only happens after someone slaughters them for a series and the exhaust their bullpen. It could take weeks for a team to get over that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:54 pm 
Ace
Ace

calislim wrote:
duke776 wrote:

I've never seen it with a team as good as the Cardinals. I'll see it with perennial cellar dwellers like KC. That usually only happens after someone slaughters them for a series and the exhaust their bullpen. It could take weeks for a team to get over that.

I guess it will take a couple weeks because I've played them in 2 3 game series in a span of 1 and 1/2 weeks and they've been tired both times.