All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strategy for not giving up home runs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:02 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
You can use this strategy in any part of the game weather you're playing an Exhibition game, or Season Mode, or Success Mode, but I just thought of this strategy for not giving up a home run to the opposing batter.

When you press the button to throw the pitch the batter will either stay at regular swing or "Big Swing" if the batter goes to "Big Swing", you still have time to decide where to throw the pitch, so just purposely throw a ball! Then on the next pitch throw one in or near the strike zone when they don't have it on "Big Swing". If you're in a 3 ball count, you can walk the batter if you want, or just try to get the pitch right on the edge of the strike zone.

Go check out my Royals season mode log!

Return to Royalty | Kansas City Royals

Post subject: Re: Strategy for not giving up home runs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:44 pm 
Prospect
Prospect

Favorite Team: Reds
I disagree in my experiance throwing a ball doesn't help all you have to do in order to take off big swing pitch inside on the corners and after 2 strikes the batter will take off Big Swing

"I sincerely believe that there is nothing truly great in any man or woman except their character, their willingness to move beyond the realm of self and into a greater realm of selflessness. Giving back is the ultimate talent in life.."
– Ozzie Smith

"Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps."
-Willie Mays

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings." -Earl Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:27 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Indians
I agree with SupaClipa. It is a waste of a pitch. You could always see if they have any cold zones, or you could throw it in a really hard to hit area.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:42 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Yeah, I actually posted this before I tried it out, and it didn't go over too well. :lol: I was just getting so frustrated that I was giving up hit after hit, and the opposing team was having rally after rally, but I seriously found out how to stop those rallies. When you play a game, and you have CPU pitching on expert, the pitcher moves the cursor all over the strike zone to trick you, well I tried doing that against the CPU, and now instead of giving up 8, 9 runs a game, I'm only giving up 2, 3, 4 runs a game, and a WHOLE lot less home runs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 pm 
Prospect
Prospect

Favorite Team: Reds
I don't know how you pitch but doesn't giving up 2-5 runs a game get your pitchers ERA WAY HIGH?

I give up about 0-2 runs a game on all-star level and my average ERA is about 1.00

"I sincerely believe that there is nothing truly great in any man or woman except their character, their willingness to move beyond the realm of self and into a greater realm of selflessness. Giving back is the ultimate talent in life.."
– Ozzie Smith

"Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps."
-Willie Mays

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings." -Earl Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:57 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
An ERA of about 1 is outstanding in the majors :)

Quote:
Hello
Though I am not a coach, I can coach, please trust me!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:11 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Well my starting pitchers don't give up 3, 4 runs every game. My starters NOW usually give up 1 or 2, and my sucky bullpen gives up the rest. JK, my bullpen isn't that bad, but it is worse than my starting rotation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 am 
Head Coach
Head Coach

Favorite Team: Dodgers
walking guys isn't a bad thing, esp. if you've served up extra base hits to the same guy so he's a single or triple away from the cycle.

For hurlers (guys who rely on fastballs or fast breakers) stick to your strengths. If you need a strike, throw the darn fastball and don't be afraid to try to blow it by him. Your breaking ball pitch is to keep guys honest, once or twice to a batter is all he should see if any (I've thrown nothing but fastballs in one inning simply because they were swinging).

Breaking ball pitchers: keep the ball DOWN and OFF the plate. One cannot emphasize this enough. You've seen millions of times where you see a breaking ball left over the middle of the plate and get crushed. A 70-75mph breaking ball is only a little faster than MLB batting practice to give you the perspective. Tossing around a high (out of strike zone) fastball is nice to get chasers, and remind batters you still throw it.

I give up a HR about once every other series (at All-Star difficulty - I'm no pro) but I also give up a lot of singles instead. So you trade power for base runners, and hope your defense can turn double plays (which I typically lead the Majors in each year).

EDIT: Another thing, same thing for strikeouts, if you start getting friendly with a particular part of the strike zone, they're gonna start waiting for it there (suddenly my dirt-kissing curve is getting wacked for doubles) so remember to change up locations and pitches. I also like throwing a little chin music every now and again (you never see anyone rush the mound... too bad)

Report Spammers to me or Darkshade via Private Message.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 pm 
Batboy
Batboy

Favorite Team: Pirates
My strategy is throw heat on the inside, low corner then throw a breaking ball away. (If you get two strikes with your fastball) I'm also having the same problem with my curveballs.

LETS GO PENS!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
cooldude1045 wrote:
An ERA of about 1 is outstanding in the majors :)

Not as much on all-star haha. Still pretty amazing. My best guys ERA on all-star is 1.6 and he got CY Young (Phil Hughes). He had a level 6 knuckle-ball, level 5 change-up, something like 88 mph fast ball (max), and a level 3 slider. Having variety and similar pitches works better then every pitch maxed. By the way, I just won and swept through the play offs and World Series on all-star after having a season with a .910 or something along that lines and can finally raise the difficulty!

- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-Always go to other peoples' funerals otherwise they won't go to yours.
-I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
I'm on vacation for about a month.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:33 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

cownip wrote:
Not as much on all-star haha. Still pretty amazing. My best guys ERA on all-star is 1.6 and he got CY Young (Phil Hughes). He had a level 6 knuckle-ball, level 5 change-up, something like 88 mph fast ball (max), and a level 3 slider. Having variety and similar pitches works better then every pitch maxed. By the way, I just won and swept through the play offs and World Series on all-star after having a season with a .910 or something along that lines and can finally raise the difficulty!

Nice, I spent the first 4 seasons (2007 - 2010) on Normal because I didn't know you could raise the difficulty. Now I'm on the 2011 season and I've got everything on All-Star. I don't think I'll be raising it higher at the end of this season, it's pretty hard, although I AM at the beginning of the season. Maybe I need more practice with all the CPU levels on All-Star and It'll be a piece of cake by the end of the year.

And how did the playoffs go? What team are you (I'm guessing Yankees, but you never know), and who did you play each round?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:38 pm 
Ace
Ace

Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
ChiCubsFan4 wrote:
cownip wrote:

Nice, I spent the first 4 seasons (2007 - 2010) on Normal because I didn't know you could raise the difficulty. Now I'm on the 2011 season and I've got everything on All-Star. I don't think I'll be raising it higher at the end of this season, it's pretty hard, although I AM at the beginning of the season. Maybe I need more practice with all the CPU levels on All-Star and It'll be a piece of cake by the end of the year.

And how did the playoffs go? What team are you (I'm guessing Yankees, but you never know), and who did you play each round?

Once you get used to it, it might be easy, because my season started out hard and this was the first time I played on all star but now it's extremely easy, showed by my 55-13 record.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:06 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
duke776 wrote:
ChiCubsFan4 wrote:
cownip wrote:

Once you get used to it, it might be easy, because my season started out hard and this was the first time I played on all star but now it's extremely easy, showed by my 55-13 record.

I raised it to powerful. It's too easy when you winning 70%+ of the games, your meant to lose a lot too. I had a .800 or so the first month then jumped up. The play-offs went beautifully, for me. I swept every round. I'll make a little chart so you can see how the play-offs went.
Blue means wild card, Green is best record. Bold means winner, Italics loser.
AL:
Yankees:0 ->
Twins: 3 ->
-------------Twins-0
-------------Devils-3 ->
Devils: 3 0>
Angels: 0
NL:
Orioles:1
Giants: 3
-------------Giants: 0
-------------Dodgers: 3->
Dodgers: 3
Toronto: 2

World Series:
Devils: 3
Dodgers: 0
I had 3 walk-offs all of which involved more then 8 runs on each side. I also got CY young (Phil Hughes), MVP (Grim Reaper), Rookie of the Year (Reaper), Hank Aaron (Reaper), Hank Aaron Award (Grim Reaper), Closer of the Year (Flame Thrower), 4 silver sluggers, and MVP of the world series. I signed everyone back for 2 years+.

- When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
- When asked if he wanted a pizza cut into 4/8 slices, Yogi responds with "Better cut it into 4, I don't think I could eat 8."
-Always go to other peoples' funerals otherwise they won't go to yours.
-I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
-In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.
I'm on vacation for about a month.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:10 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Wouldn't it be 4 gamess to 0 for the world series and lcs or am I getting the number's meaning wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:12 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

cownip wrote:
AL:
Yankees:0 ->
Twins: 3 ->
-------------Twins-0
-------------Devils-3 ->
Devils: 3 0>
Angels: 0
NL:
Orioles:1
Giants: 3
-------------Giants: 0
-------------Dodgers: 3->
Dodgers: 3
Toronto: 2

World Series:
Devils: 3
Dodgers: 0
I had 3 walk-offs all of which involved more then 8 runs on each side. I also got CY young (Phil Hughes), MVP (Grim Reaper), Rookie of the Year (Reaper), Hank Aaron (Reaper), Hank Aaron Award (Grim Reaper), Closer of the Year (Flame Thrower), 4 silver sluggers, and MVP of the world series. I signed everyone back for 2 years+.

So you played as the Devil Rays?