Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Quote:
How?! How do you get him to teach it?

I haven't, I just searched for someone with the ability, and Randy was the cheapest. I just got him because I needed someone with it. I haven't gotten anyone else to learn it, yet, though. But without him, I wouldn't have a chance.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:37 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I was just offered Prince Fielder (D con, 178 pwr, E spd, surprisingly good defense) for one of my expansion pitchers who was pretty decent but not necessary; C con B stam 92 mph and lvl 3-4 Sld/cb/chg. I'm psyched.

I've now got a 4 star offer under consideration for one of my minor league OFers to bring back Chris Young, Kouzmanoff, and a scrub from the Padres; might have to reload a few times to get it, but the deals seem to be there if you look for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:45 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Chris Young (both P and OF) and Fielder aren't as good in the game as real-life, though, because they definitely far exceeded any pre-season expectations.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:50 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Favorite Japanese title: Don't Own
Same with Dustin Pedroia - i did a trade to get him, thinking it was a steal...only to see his E contact. :(

Expansion Mode Challenge!
2008 Real-Life players from Success Mode - Please assist if you have the time!!
Older/dead logs:
Let the Fielders pitch! New log
MLB Life Mode log - OF Ryan Evert, Athletics
Honolulu Heroes Season Log - real-life players join a scrub team! Find out how they do in the AL West!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:53 pm 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
Console '07: Sony PS2
Console '08: Sony PS2
So are most of the rookie pitchers, they have 88 top speed E stam G control, a level 1 or 2(dont remember which it is) change, and a level 1 or 2(dont remember which it is) slider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:53 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

It's like this for every rookie or guy off a breakout campaign.

Just to get a few:
A-Rod
Youkilis
Rollins
Hanley Ramirez
Delmon Young
Carlos Gomez
etc.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Hmm. So using lock-on 1 settings, how much of a difference in HR-hitting ability do you think there would be between a guy with 14 con, 167 pow, and the power hitter blue ability versus fielder, who is 8 con, 178 pow and does not have the blue ability?

I do realize Young was not as good in the game, but he still looks like a nice young cheap pitcher, and I'd be getting him along with 2 other guys for an excess part on my roster.

How much growth is there year to year in young players? I haven't finished my first season yet. And what kind of salary inflation do success mode players look for? I have several who started in the 5000-10000 range, including the 14 con 167 pow guy mentioned above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:04 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Quote:
I do realize Young was not as good in the game, but he still looks like a nice young cheap pitcher, and I'd be getting him along with 2 other guys for an excess part on my roster.

But won't those guys become spare parts as well. And that pitcher you mentioned before seems to be better than Chris Young - not to mention probably cheaper.

Quote:
How much growth is there year to year in young players? I haven't finished my first season yet. And what kind of salary inflation do success mode players look for? I have several who started in the 5000-10000 range, including the 14 con 167 pow guy mentioned above.

If the salary's already that high, than I assume you registered them after the first part. So you're probably looking at at least 1000 if they all are starters and perform well. However, if they don't play as much, they won't get as much of a raise, so you might want to think about that if can win some games without them. Heck, just put in your scrubs, and play the games on lock-on 5.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:39 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

J-Gao wrote:
But won't those guys become spare parts as well. And that pitcher you mentioned before seems to be better than Chris Young - not to mention probably cheaper.

If you're interested in the whole situation, here's the big picture.

This combined set of transactions, has Cordido (original P) + Munhall (scrub CFer) = Fielder, Young, Kouzmanoff, Cruz Jr. While Cordido was not an essential component of my roster, he was getting some innings and mostly for the sake of depth (i.e. in case of injury) bringing in Young to replace him seems like a decent idea. It's a slight downgrade, but that's OK. Fielder fills a hole at DH, which had previously been occupied by a spare OFer modestly better than Munhall (D/D/C I think). Kouzmanoff is nice because I traded away 3B depth earlier in a deal to get Orlando Hudson (who's been great). Cruz Jr is additional OF depth, who could be sold off or leveraged in a later deal; honestly I'm surprised that the computer doesn't seem to care about his inclusion in the package.

In the end, this is very nearly something for nothing; the only price is about 700 points of added salary and the downgrade from Cordido to Young, and in Fielder I get a slugger who will fit nicely in the 5 or 6 hole. His fielding stats are good enough that he could probably get converted to 3B or something if I felt like it; he has B arm strength. My existing 3B is no great shakes defensively, as he was one of my early success mode dudes and I focused on hitting.

Quote:
If the salary's already that high, than I assume you registered them after the first part. So you're probably looking at at least 1000 if they all are starters and perform well. However, if they don't play as much, they won't get as much of a raise, so you might want to think about that if can win some games without them. Heck, just put in your scrubs, and play the games on lock-on 5.

I'm guessing you meant 10000, but thanks. I guess their total playing time would need to be below 120 games or so to have a significant effect on the raise? I have a 10 game lead in early July so I could easily start benching some of them, even without going to lock on 5. (I am trying to keep it somewhat realistic, although I have imported 12 success mode players, of whom 7 were heavily save/loaded and so got >5000 starting salaries as FAs, so it's not totally realistic.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:56 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

I meant that it would increase by 1000 - but it would end up around 10000 - so we're both right.

I don't know how much playing time increases a salary, but I had a team of almost all success mode players. I had two catchers - each with approximately 2000 salaries. I simmed through 90% of the season with a set starting lineup - obviously only one of the catchers got any significant time. At the end, the starter asked for a raise to 2700, while the other who, despite C and B hitting stats, got just 3 home runs and 16 RBI in his very limited time. He only asked for 480 after that.

As for regards to your trade, I'm assuming you started with an expansion team without the dream draft or anything, else none of those players would be on your team. Using Normal settings, I suggest the dream draft - it's terribly easy (a team with Pujols, A-Rod, and Utley is possible - just draft them in that order, shortstops go fast though so look in the password exchange forum for some good ones). AFTER the dream draft choose the Created Player Registration option and register your success players. There are only a few open slots (the other players can be added after the season starts from the <management> option), but the guys registered here will have much lower starting salaries.

~George Brett

~Charles Barkley

~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject: Re: Trading
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Giants
actually,1 star trades can 25% of the time go through

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:59 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Astros
Console '07: Wii and PS2
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (Wii) Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2009
Hooray for bumping 3-year-old threads! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:14 am 
Power Pro Legend
Power Pro Legend

Favorite Team: Dodgers
Console '08: Wii and PS2
Favorite Japanese title: (PS3) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2011
lanceberkman wrote:

Especially since pretty much all the previous posters have left the site...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:47 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Red Sox
PowerPro Jr wrote:
lanceberkman wrote:

Especially since pretty much all the previous posters have left the site...

I'm pretty sure the only one who still visits is Alloutwar, and he doesn't really post that much.

Quote:
Hello
Though I am not a coach, I can coach, please trust me!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:20 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Tigers
lanceberkman wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed that pretty much every time a new member joins, a thread gets bumped.