Post subject: Several season questions
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:34 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Diamondbacks
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
Greetings everyone,

I've finally managed to get past simply playing the amazingly fun success mode and launched a season, but it's raised several questions and I don't want to get too far into a season with the wrong setup. So on to the questions:

1. What difficulty is a good mix of challenge and fairness? Basically, I want to have a good battle each game, but I don't want to feel cheated by the computer. (To refer to cheated by the computer, see the MLB Superstars Vs. Tulips games- in fielding! Those stars catch EVERYTHING!) I also don't want to have a season where I'm winning .800+ I've gone about 12 games into my current season and I feel it's just too easy. I've only lost once, options are as follows:
weather on, wind on, error on, injury on, cond mark show, cpu base running normal, cpu field normal, cpu batting expert, cpu pitching expert etc.

For my team, I use cpu fielding on simply normal because I really don't like the way you have .0002 seconds to figure out which player you're controlling when the ball is hit. Half the time I assume I'm controlling someone else and head the opposite direction, it just doesn't feel intuitive.
Anyway, I hate winning 90% of my games so I'm looking for recommendations for cpu settings that will give me a battle without seeming CHEAP. Mainly looking for settings of CPU batting / fielding / pitching. Also, for the moment I use auto base running because I found myself hitting the control stick (wii) and accidentally sending runners backwards often in the heat of the moment!

2. That being said, how much harder does it get in the postseason? Also the teams I played weren't spectacular. So far I've routed the Pirates, Astros, Brewers and the Mets. (mets were the toughest) Were my victories possibly due to an easy schedule? One pirates game was 18-2 and I've also done a shutout so this seems unlikely.

3. Is it just me or do walks / balls seem very uncommon? During the mentioned season, Pujols has 12 HRs on April 14th... and not a single pitcher has intentionally walked him. Is this normal?

4. Another thing I've noticed, my slider seems to get hit more than any other pitch. Am I using it wrong? Feel free to throw some slider tips my way.

5. I haven't set up training yet and find it quite difficult to figure out. My guys are gaining stats every off day, are they training automatically or something? They're mostly gaining stamina I think.

Also, as far as my team situation goes, I'm using the default Cardinals lineup with 3 success mode players. I have one starter pitcher who I've used 2x and was actually my only loss, one crummy closer that has only been used once, since Isringhausen is better and I just recently made a new SS to replace Eckstien who has played in one game. My success shortstop is really good and he prettymuch made the game too easy! I didn't even powergame him, he had no special abilities or anything but I made him quite the hitter and I think I need a higher difficulty setting. (I couldn't get the hang of Eck's swing at all, so he had to go) Payroll is about 104000. Anyway I'd love to have a challenging but fair season mode setup and be able to use a couple success mode pals without unbalancing the whole league.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:51 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
1. depends on how much better you're team is than the other team and how good you are. I would play with lock on 1 for you and lock on 2 for the CPU. I would put CPU batting, pitching, running, fielding on all-star. It makes a huge difference.

2. It doesn't really get that much harder than the mets and you're success could be a result of an easy schedule since the astros, brewers, and pirates suck in this game.

3. Walks are very uncommon if you play the games, but if you have a guy that has patient htr then he should get a lot of walks. And how can you tell if a walk is intentional from the stats screen? Unless he has no walks.

4. I've noticed the slider is one of the worst pitches to use. I only use it after i've used my curveball too many times.

5. Your guys are automatically training on their lowest stat. It really isn't that difficult. You just select the player you want and put him in batting, fielding, pitching, breaking ball, running, or ability training. There you select contact, power, trajectory, top spd, control, a breaking ball, stamina or run speed, or an ability you want him to learn.

3rd year in season mode Roger Clemens.

.03 ERA. 286.1 IP 32-0 27 Shutouts 28 CG.
664 K, 2.32 K/IP, .04 OPP BA, .06 OPP SLG, .092 OPP OBP, 16.2 K/BB

Highest K/IP ever F. Hernandez 2.37!!

6th Year Posada-.534/.591/.762 405 H, 70 2B, 14 3B, 25 HR, 393 RBI, 2.39 BB/K, 91 SB, 1.353 OPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:33 am 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Yankees
I like the slider.
But I never have it start AND end in the zone. I either backdoor it, or have slide out.

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
~George Brett

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do. "
~Charles Barkley

""I know Koufax's weakness. He can't hit."
~Whitey Ford

SSBB FC - 3437-3779-6679

Post subject: Re: Several season questions
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:29 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Phillies
Console '07: Sony PS2
powercheese wrote:
4. Another thing I've noticed, my slider seems to get hit more than any other pitch. Am I using it wrong? Feel free to throw some slider tips my way.

my steve carlton that i made in success mode has three level-7 sliders: the regular slider, the hard slider, and the vertical slider. i can throw the h-sld or v-sld anywhere in the zone and be pretty confident that they won't get hit; however, the only thing i can do with the regular slider is to backdoor righties with it way up in the zone. mid strike zone or lower and it's getting driven hard to the gaps at least half the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:24 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Diamondbacks
Thanks for the info guys.
Also, the-F, I tried an exhibition game against all star settings and lost 6-8 in 10 innings, so it was a good challenge.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:00 pm 
Wiki Contributor
Wiki Contributor

Favorite Team: Indians
1. Um, actually, I play on powerful with cpu on expert, and fielding on all-star.
If you're using lock on use powerful pitcher, if now expert or all star.
2. Usually they are harder-guy with 1.00 ERA was 3/4.
3. This is because the game is mostly programmed to try and throw a strike with 3 balls. If they paint the corners watch carefully.
4. Not sure, slider always gets hit for me as well.
5. They're using automatic training fixing their lowest stat...

You'll get the hang of season mode eventually.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:04 am 
Ace
Ace

Favorite Team: Cubs
4. The level 7 slider is one of my favorite pitches simply because of how hard it curves. It's better to be right handed against a lefty (or vice versa). You can throw high and inside (with the target around the top right of the strike zone), or low and outside (with the target all the way to the left it still comes back)! You definitely can't overuse this pitch though. It's better to mix it up, and then, when they're not expecting it, throw the big hook!