All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: n00b question on training/practice
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Royals
Console '07: Nintendo Wii
hey guys

i just bought this game and really love it (i can't wait for the 2008 edition!). anyway, i'm completely befuddled on how to set practice to automatic for players. is this done by default? when i go to the practice menu and go down to the automatic button, it then tries to make me select a player, and then there are all these options. do i have to do this for each and every player? and what do i select? isn't there a way to just select automatic and have the computer take it from there for the entire team?

sorry if this is a stupid question -- i only got the game a week ago. thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: n00b question on training/practice
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:51 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Favorite Team: Athletics
I am a noob too so I may be wrong, but I BELIEVE that the reason all your players are showing up under the automatic button is because BY DEFAULT they are set to some sort of automatic training regiment. When you select them and put them in one of the other training regiments you are then taking over and making their training manual.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:55 pm 
Prospect
Prospect

Favorite Team: Reds
That is Correct and also by default each player is selected to practice in the area that he is weakest for his postion

"I sincerely believe that there is nothing truly great in any man or woman except their character, their willingness to move beyond the realm of self and into a greater realm of selflessness. Giving back is the ultimate talent in life.."
– Ozzie Smith

"Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps."
-Willie Mays

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings." -Earl Wilson

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:21 am 
1st Base Coach
1st Base Coach

Favorite Team: Cardinals
Console '08: Nintendo Wii
The CPU will put all of your players in some practice automatically, but it is likely to be less than ideal. That's because it goes with the player's weakest skill, whether that makes sense or not. For example, the CPU may look at your closer with D STAM and stick them in running practice (stamina) even though there is no need for your closer to have better stamina than D. On the other hand, he may have level 1-2 breaking pitches that he'd be better off improving instead. So you'd need to go select him out of automatic practice and stick him in breaking ball practice. Or maybe you have a power hitting DH who has a high B PWR and E level FLD/ERES. If you leave him in automatic training, the CPU will put him in fielding training even though it would make much more sense to put him in power hitting training to get his PWR even higher. You do have to do that for every player, but other than the first time when you've got to do all of them it isn't that time consuming.

It's definitely worthwhile though to understand the strengths/weaknesses if youur individual players and put them into the practice types that are going to give your team the best benefit.